One Greenway (Parcel 24) | 0 Kneeland Street | Chinatown

How on earth do they get away with wooden/plywood framing that close to a major highway? It's going to be so loud inside those apartments.

Just like the hotel at the Ink Block. It's cheap.

They get away with it because there is no code that says you cant and people will buy into living there.

End of story. They wouldn't build it if people wouldn't buy it.

cca

Ps. and dont bring up fire saftey like every other thread its as safe as any other building built out of wood which is the majority of buildings in this county . (more safe in fact because it is likely sprinklered.

Why even build a house out of wood?? Build it with steel, metal and forms. give me all your plastic bottles.... i'll shred em and mix em with mortar, run conduit, and pour the 1 3/4" walls.

Driving up 93 the city looks markedly bigger with the ink block additions. You feel like your driving above a thriving metropolis and with the best part of it in front of you. Im really happy with how all this turned out.

Driving up 93 the city looks markedly bigger with the ink block additions. You feel like your driving above a thriving metropolis and with the best part of it in front of you. Im really happy with how all this turned out.

I'll agree more to this once all that plywood sheathing is covered up... ; )

That taller green tower and that tower with two cores peaking up now really makes it feel like an extension of downtown.

Had ink block been more aggressive in height, it could have recreated the experience of driving on the old central artery.

^^extreme, short-sighted planning doomed this one.... IB should have gone 347~375' w/ about 3 towers done in phases over a few years.... of course, it can be properly torn down in a few nigh 40 years for more-appropriate urban scale.

The Pao Arts Center is scheduled to open this week (Saturday May 6th). This is going into the community space set aside as part of this project. http://www.artplaceamerica.org/funded-projects/test-project-name

one_greenway_3_216.jpg

one_greenway_staff_and_artist_space_216.jpg

There's something I just love about buildings cropping up right next to the highway, like this one, the Ink Block, and Troy-- and someday the Flower Exchange. Maybe it's that our highways typically don't just kill a ton of space that becomes roads, they also tend to kill huge amounts of land stretching out on both sides for their entire length. But then these sorts of projects, and others like the Carpenters Union or the developments going up near the JFK/UMass T station remind me that no, we can make use of that dead space alongside. Dead space no longer.

My bad not realizing the benefit of the step-up.

This is really good.

The thing I love about this project and Ink Block and others like them is how they are creating new street walls and therefore new urban spaces. Standing on Hudson Street no longer feels like standing on the edge of the world. It feels like a neighborhood, an integral part of the city rather than the ragged edge of it. It almost doesn't matter to me what the buildings look like. Just their presence alone is a huge net win.

Back