One Kenmore Square | 560 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

Re: Hotel Tower | 560 Commonwealth Ave | Kenmore Square

Nice. This could be kind of like another Pierce given the lot shape.

^^and 40 Trinity height. We need the hotel rooms.

Just to keep the size of this lot in perspective:

-The site for the Pierce is made up of three distinct parcels with a combined area of 25,191 square feet.

-The site of One Dalton has an area of 28,352 square feet.

-This parcel is only 5,957 square feet.

-A more comparable lot would be the proposed Marriott Moxy Hotel at 240 Tremont St which sits on a site of 5,787 square feet. That one is pulling out all the stops (and cantilevering over the sidewalk) to get to 24 stories.

I think I'd put the over-under for this project at about 16 stories.

I'd put the over under of this at never gonna happen. I'm sure the opposition from the Coop building next to it will be immense. (Even though I hope that this does go through, it's a great spot for some added density).

I'd put the over under of this at never gonna happen. I'm sure the opposition from the Coop building next to it will be immense. (Even though I hope that this does go through, it's a great spot for some added density).

I second this. It will never happen and if it does, it won't be with this developer.

Wow. As you can tell from my previous post, I will be shocked.

Wow. As you can tell from my previous post, I will be shocked.

Downburst's reliable, but "movement" can mean a lot of things. Unless it's movement of cranes, I think you're safe for now.

Look for movement on this and an adjacent parcel soon. 230'.

This only has one adjacent parcel: the co-op building next door.

It will be very interesting to see how this pans out. I don't think we've witnessed a co-op NIMBY fight before. Some of them have balconies that directly face the high spine and have views of the Hancock, Pru, etc...do we think these people are going to just let this happen? Or are there too few of them for it to matter? Or do co-op people care less about this stuff (I can't discern why they wouldn't care just as much)...hmm....

the rendering in the 1st pic shows another parcel across Beacon St (the existing garage structure behind the Buckminster).

We build 200-260' feet. That's what we do. We're out of land, but the nimby's insist we party like it's 1999. If we build smart, 400' towers, even on smallish parcels, people will lynch those involved. They prefer a future where the dozers come to parts unseen. If nimby jackwagons continue to obstruct good planning, the dozers might be trouncing through parts of Allston, Mission Hill, JP etc in < 20~25 years.

We're out of land

Will you please shut the fuck up already. Boston is not out of land. There's so much fucking god damned land in this city we don't know what to do with all of it.

Please...

We have huge swaths of transit accessible land and redevelopable land in the East (Suffolk Downs), West (Allston-Brighton), and South (Roxbury and Ashmont part of the Red Line). Not to mention the huge amounts of industrial garbage in between the Seaport and Southie and running along I-93.

We're not running out of land. Repeat after me: We're not running out of land.

Grand scheme. No.
Land in the desirable (to developers and tenants) in the inner core. Somewhat yes.

Those areas you mention can support plenty of residential, light or cheaper office, etc.
Not the high rent Class A space, bio-tech big boys, luxe residential, etc. A 500 room hotel in many of those spaces doesn't serve the same needs as one downtown.

Or to be a dick. Every lot we fill (many going right now) means we are running out of that much land. Your statement is a literal falsehood. Are we critically low on land at this time. Nope.

(Plants flag firmly in the middle of this ongoing argument.)

There are huge spaces ready for development in the heart of downtown.

Between the Government Services building and City Hall with its plaza there are acres and acres of prime real estate that are totally underutilized right now.

(Plants flag firmly in the middle of this ongoing argument.)

I'm in the middle too. It's not just about land availability. It's about making the best use of a parcel as a function of it's location and potential.

I think we can agree that there are fewer parcels available as you get close to the urban nucleus.

So the relevant question here is: is Kenmore far enough from the urban core such that we feel comfortable if a parcel's density / mix of use / overall utilization is not maximized?

Last edited:

So the relevant question here is: is Kenmore close enough to the urban core such that we feel comfortable if a parcel's density / mix of use / overall utilization is not maximized?

In this particular case? Yeah. It's a relatively small wedge-shaped lot that's getting 230 foot hotel with retail and rooftop bar/restaurant. This is, in my opinion, the perfect scale and use for this location (on the periphery of the urban core) and lot size.

In this particular case? Yeah. It's a relatively small wedge-shaped lot that's getting 230 foot hotel with retail and rooftop bar/restaurant. This is, in my opinion, the perfect scale and use for this location (on the periphery of the urban core) and lot size.

BTW, I meant to say "far enough away from the urban core such that"...(edited my original post)

In any case, this is the type of conversation we should be having when we get into these squabbles about parcel usage.

And, Lrfox, I respect your assessment...though I'm still pondering this particular case. My feeling is that it could potentially be utilized even more, but it's hard to casually pass judgement on this without more data.

Back