One Kenmore Square | 560 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

Re: Hotel Tower | 560 Commonwealth Ave | Kenmore Square

Can anyone post details from the article?

The Globe has decided to stop sharing its wisdom with the world (sigh).

"Under the plan, the owners of the Hotel Buckminster would build a 19-story, 388-room hotel on the site of a parking garage and a smaller building they own at 655 Beacon St., while Wellesley-based Mark Development would put a 24-story, 375-room hotel across the street, where a Citizens Bank now stands."

The article then goes on to suggest that they will be pursuing the approval for these developments together as a PDA. They will not likely be constructed at the same time though. Note: The article doesn't mention a PDA explicitly, but it describes a PDA to the tee.

Apparently an LOI was filed with the BPDA. Will be looking out for it.

Whos gonna photoshop these ones? Now it answers what that blue glass tower is in the background of the render.

Great. This is such a dead stretch - and if anyplace does need to have a couple high rises to define its backdrop, Kenmore is the place. I hope they open up some more nightlife along this stretch, too.

BPDA Summary:

Project Description:
Existing improvements at 560-574 Commonwealth Avenue would be replaced by a new hotel building containing approximately 375 rooms, with a building height of approximately 24 stories and 260 feet, with a gross floor area (“GFA”), as defined by the Code, of approximately 164,000 square feet, and some underground parking. Existing improvements at 655-665 Beacon Street would be replaced by a new hotel at that parcel and the adjacent parcel at 651 Beacon Street featuring approximately 388 hotel rooms, with a building height of approximately 19 stories and 210 feet, with a GFA of approximately 211,000 square feet, and some underground parking.

http://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/560-comm-ave-645-beacon

Letter of Intent: http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/5bc9049d-8b91-4e67-8872-27f4ef1c9430

LOI confirms PDA.

Downburst your the man.

Will the people who run a baseball team nearby cause any fuss about changing wind patterns, etc.?

Will the people who run a baseball team nearby cause any fuss about changing wind patterns, etc.?

This might be far enough away... and its hotel rooms so they probably like those

Or you could pay for a subscription.

Every spring the chipmonks wait for the new woodpile to be erected.

and rejoice watching the progress.

Then one year, the man died and there was no woodpile.

When faced with no other choices, man (and animal alike) adapt.

Downbursts renders were deleted..... Theres some weird stuff going on in the forum I notice. Renders/pictures that aren't even over the limit disappear, peoples responses sometimes disappear as well, Ive noticed a few times where Oduranadia's posts are completely gone with no trace. Downbursts pics being gone is truly a loss tho.

i deleted some of my posts.

i had a post that i was searching for that was a little older than the most-recent-500 included on each of our home pages.

so i deleted some that were either quoted, lame, or not significant to the discussion.

and success! the post i was searching for reappeared in the '500.'

How do you delete a post?

My final free article...Killjoys...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...more-square/OY8Uhgq6bjyyYbFoa9KF0I/story.html

Developers filed initial plans Tuesday to build two large hotels on either side of Beacon Street on the western side of Kenmore, creating a new gateway to the busy square with what would be its tallest buildings.

Under the plan, the owners of the Hotel Buckminster would build a 19-story, 388-room hotel on the site of a parking garage and a smaller building they own at 655 Beacon St., while Wellesley-based Mark Development would put a 24-story, 375-room hotel across the street, where a Citizens Bank now stands.

The developers hope to capture strong demand for hotel rooms in the neighborhood — which is close to Boston University, Fenway Park, Back Bay, and the Longwood Medical Area — and would aim to improve street life at a busy intersection, according to a letter to the Boston Planning & Development Agency.

The two sites sit on key lots in Kenmore Square, parts of which have remained largely unchanged for decades. By building up on the Citizens Bank land, said Mark chief executive Robert Korff, the project has a chance to transform the way the neighborhood feels at street level.

“Our building, because of its location, has tremendous importance in terms of what can be done in the public realm for Kenmore Square,” Korff said. “It’s really a linchpin.”

Mark acquired the parcel nearly two years ago when it bought a portfolio of Citizens Bank locations. As it began planning a larger development there, Mark spoke with the Hotel Buckminster owners, who devised expansion plans of their own.

The two projects are being proposed jointly to the BPDA, which enables the developers to seek zoning approvals that cover a wider area and include streetscape improvements and open space. They could, however, be developed separately. More details are expected to be filed this summer.

99 cents a month for the first four months.
Seemed worth it to me.

99 cents a month for the first four months.
Seemed worth it to me.

Not to derail any further, but... I just signed up for digital content only. I honestly believe $2.99/week is worth it given how blessed we are that Boston Globe is one of maybe a half dozen US journalism establishments left that can be relied upon for objective, fact-based, comprehensively investigated reporting. It's an added benefit that their material includes local news and compelling diverse opinions about our policies and changing built environment.

Not to derail any further, but... I just signed up for digital content only. I honestly believe $2.99/week is worth it given how blessed we are that Boston Globe is one of maybe a half dozen US journalism establishments left that can be relied upon for objective, fact-based, comprehensively investigated reporting. It's an added benefit that their material includes local news and compelling diverse opinions about our policies and changing built environment.

How much did you get paid to say that?

Boston is immeasurably better off with a healthy Globe than it would be without. Gripe and snipe if you want, but the alternative is in no way preferable.

Back