One Kenmore Square | 560 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

Re: Hotel Tower | 560 Commonwealth Ave | Kenmore Square

Not to derail any further, but... I just signed up for digital content only. I honestly believe $2.99/week is worth it given how blessed we are that Boston Globe is one of maybe a half dozen US journalism establishments left that can be relied upon for objective, fact-based, comprehensively investigated reporting. It's an added benefit that their material includes local news and compelling diverse opinions about our policies and changing built environment.

I want to subscribe to the Globe, I want to give them my money, but that's just the promo rate. The full rate is $6.93/week. That's 85% more expensive than NYT. Sorry Globe, but I'm not giving up $30/month for journalism. If they had an online option only for roughly 1/2 that, I would be a permanent subscriber. That appears to be in line with the industry, so it's not an unreasonable request.

Not to derail any further, but... I just signed up for digital content only. I honestly believe $2.99/week is worth it given how blessed we are that Boston Globe is one of maybe a half dozen US journalism establishments left that can be relied upon for objective, fact-based, comprehensively investigated reporting. It's an added benefit that their material includes local news and compelling diverse opinions about our policies and changing built environment.

Thank you, Mr. Henry.

I want to subscribe to the Globe, I want to give them my money, but that's just the promo rate. The full rate is $6.93/week. That's 85% more expensive than NYT. Sorry Globe, but I'm not giving up $30/month for journalism. If they had an online option only for roughly 1/2 that, I would be a permanent subscriber. That appears to be in line with the industry, so it's not an unreasonable request.

I pay $8 per month for the Globe online subscription...

Boston is immeasurably better off with a healthy Globe than it would be without. Gripe and snipe if you want, but the alternative is in no way preferable.

The real alternative is media that is not ideology-based with selectively biased reporting that equates to basically nothing more than propaganda. There can be no such thing as totally bias-free journalism of course, but the Globe has calibrated itself so far to the left of impartial, it has no credibility to identify itself as anything other than overwhelmingly liberal.

Why did Downbursts renders get deleted? That was one of the only worthwhile posts in this whole thread and its gone....

^ Private reasons. Please delete your post referencing the member in question.

Mortimer: "No. The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be."

Are you a mod now?

No but I know the reason why he removed them. Its a very serious one. The renders showing massing were posted prematurely.

Maybe you're just looking out for a friend here, but you can't expect people to remove simple questions and references.

He can, and you should too if you value AB continuing to get anonymous tips about projects. Leaking things early can be a firing offense in the real world, and I don't want to see that happen to anyone just because I'm selfishly eager for inside information.

He can, and you should too if you value AB continuing to get anonymous tips about projects. Leaking things early can be a firing offense in the real world, and I don't want to see that happen to anyone just because I'm selfishly eager for inside information.

I believe data updated his second post and gave a reason while I was posting. My issue was with the lack of explanation. We don't just say "No questions. Delete your post."

Except in DC.....

I believe data updated his second post and gave a reason while I was posting. My issue was with the lack of explanation. We don't just say "No questions. Delete your post."

Eh, we do. It's happened to many of us over the years. This is a relatively small group of locals with a niche common interest. Many people here are insiders or have inside connections to various things and sometimes we slip up. Because this is a "community," we do our best to trust each other and look out for one another.

A few years back, I had a special access look at a number of off-limits places around the city and created a thread/posted pictures (which I was allowed to take- just not distribute) here because it was in line with a lot of this community's interests. Within 24 hours I got a call because the office of a high level administrator saw them and demanded that they come down. Thankfully, the moderators here did it quickly and definitely saved some significant hardship (if not jobs) for me and a few others. I feel like a lot of people would be surprised at the reach of some of these threads.

This has happened a few times with others on here as well. A few members have prominent positions at various firms and agencies and some of them have been "outed." Having the inside connections is part of what makes this forum so great. So when we occasionally have to help a member out by removing some info or images - no questions asked - we do it.

^ In the name of our community, the phrase "trust me, it needs to be taken down" should be sufficient and honored by all of us

(notice, though, the subtle courteous difference between this and "delete it now")

A digital subscription is $3.99 a week for the first year.
http://subscribe.bostonglobe.com/B6455/?p1=BGHeader_SmartBar_Marketing_Sub

Eh, we do. It's happened to many of us over the years. This is a relatively small group of locals with a niche common interest. Many people here are insiders or have inside connections to various things and sometimes we slip up. Because this is a "community," we do our best to trust each other and look out for one another.

A few years back, I had a special access look at a number of off-limits places around the city and created a thread/posted pictures (which I was allowed to take- just not distribute) here because it was in line with a lot of this community's interests. Within 24 hours I got a call because the office of a high level administrator saw them and demanded that they come down. Thankfully, the moderators here did it quickly and definitely saved some significant hardship (if not jobs) for me and a few others. I feel like a lot of people would be surprised at the reach of some of these threads.

This has happened a few times with others on here as well. A few members have prominent positions at various firms and agencies and some of them have been "outed." Having the inside connections is part of what makes this forum so great. So when we occasionally have to help a member out by removing some info or images - no questions asked - we do it.
I've also gotten into hot water over a very benign post I made years back that actually revealed no info about a project at all. These are sensitive topics.

Thank you everyone (Equilibria, bigpicture & Lrfox) for highlighting the mutual respect/sense of community we should all share for each other here.

^ In the name of our community, the phrase "trust me, it needs to be taken down" should be sufficient and honored by all of us

(notice, though, the subtle courteous difference between this and "delete it now")

I think one has to exercise some critical judgment when deciding to do as someone says in the name of community solidarity. If a request comes from someone like Lrfox or datadyne, that's a bit different than if it comes from members known to have axes to grind. Lots of people say "trust me" when in fact they may be the last person you should ever trust.

I think one has to exercise some critical judgment when deciding to do as someone says in the name of community solidarity. If a request comes from someone like Lrfox or datadyne, that's a bit different than if it comes from members known to have axes to grind. Lots of people say "trust me" when in fact they may be the last person you should ever trust.

Fair point. But in this case the "it" was a reference to another community member's name/alias. If the "it" were my own statement about something ("I think boston needs to recruit more engineering companies"), then I agree with you that someone saying "trust me, you need to delete your post" should not be blindly followed.

very true,I got in big trouble once for posting things not release to the public,I was almost fired and it brought about a policy change companywide ,so not worth it just to be 1st to post!

Back