IMG_9806 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9808 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9810 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9811 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9813 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9816 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9817 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9922 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Who ever decided "Yeah, instead of re-cladding the tower gradually up, we'll just finish one half and do a little patch on the top after that"?

Other larger towers have gone up and are going up/will be completed before this ugly, flaccid, painfully slow recladding is finally done. Other than the red bracing this looks really boring.

Other larger towers have gone up and are going up/will be completed before this ugly, flaccid, painfully slow recladding is finally done. Other than the red bracing this looks really boring.
I think Winthrop will be finished before this!

7/2 This building isn't really for me but it's certainly a change for the area. Note there's an interesting new pizza place called Lily's Pizza right across from the construction site on Oliver Street. Tough to pin down the style, but it's kind of a Sicilian hybrid. The lady at the counter was super nice, and apparently they have an outdoor patio are too (I just got slices and ate them in my car). It's worth checking out.

IMG_1181 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1182 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1183 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1187 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1189 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1191 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1192 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1195 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1196 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1198 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1200 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1201 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1208 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1209 by David Z, on Flickr

Maybe I’m in the minority here but I love the new cladding and don’t mind that its generic. Almost feels like an infill skyscraper in a way. There’s so many tall buildings in the area it doesn’t need to stand out. Plus I’m sure it will be much better for those working inside it.

i don't hate it -- i just think it's ridiculous that it's taking longer to re-clad an existing structure than to build taller towers from scratch. developer is milking the $$$, incompetent, or stupid.

What do you mean the developer is milking the money? In every instance I can think of, the owner wishes they started and finished construction yesterday - it's the single biggest cost burden to move back and/or lengthen your construction. The incompetence or stupidity would be up to the architect, Gensler, which I can't rule out, but wouldn't put it high up on the list. Could be contractor related - not many re-clads over existing facades at this scale happen around here - that requires specialized talent or training, and at a scale larger than anything in or around Boston.

I have to believe its also possibly supply chain related, but even then, they must be at the bottom of the priority list since other projects seem to pick back up to speed once the supply issues are resolved. Wonder who their cladding supplier is and if they're in a unique circumstance.

i don't hate it -- i just think it's ridiculous that it's taking longer to re-clad an existing structure than to build taller towers from scratch. developer is milking the $$$, incompetent, or stupid.

There's no skyscrapers of this height that have gone from planning to construction as quickly as this re-clad and it's a fraction of the cost of building a new tower or even tearing this one down and rebuilding it.

I'm actually totally unsure what your gripe is, that the developer isn't wasting money they way you want them to?

There's no skyscrapers of this height that have gone from planning to construction as quickly as this re-clad and it's a fraction of the cost of building a new tower or even tearing this one down and rebuilding it.

I'm actually totally unsure what your gripe is, that the developer isn't wasting money they way you want them to?
Even if there were new skyscrapers of this built entirely during this recladding process, it still wouldn't be a reasonable comparison. Remodels of older buildings always take longer. Things get discovered during the demolition phase that alter details and may even change the scope of the entire project. From the outside, it's impossible for us to say what exactly is taking so long, but I know that this timeframe is nothing crazy.

Back