Our Lady of Good Voyage | Seaport Sq Parcel H | 55 - 57 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

It seems that the archdiocese had no problem with shadows on the stained glass windows above the altar unlike Trinity Church and the Old South Church, both of whom object to shadows cast on them (Old South Church, shadows on their stained glass windows on certain mornings in December) from the new Back Bay Station buildings under consideration.

It seems that the archdiocese had no problem with shadows on the stained glass windows above the altar unlike Trinity Church and the Old South Church, both of whom object to shadows cast on them (Old South Church, shadows on their stained glass windows on certain mornings in December) from the new Back Bay Station buildings under consideration.

They built it in an area with eyes wide open about the developments and potential developments being built around it. Both Trinity and New Old South have been there for well over a century.

That article had this nugget, too:

Umm... what? How tall would the steeple have to be to "dominate" a "skyline", even from across Fort Point Channel? The buildings across the street are about 150' taller than the bell tower. A steeple would also look much nicer than the strangely-proportioned cross that's up there.

I always wondered why the cross seemed small, this provides an explanation:

"the cross atop the bell tower comes from the former Mary Star of the Sea church in Quincy."

source:
http://www.wbur.org/news/2017/04/24/our-lady-of-good-voyage-shrine-renovations

I always wondered why the cross seemed small, this provides an explanation:

"the cross atop the bell tower comes from the former Mary Star of the Sea church in Quincy."

source:
http://www.wbur.org/news/2017/04/24/our-lady-of-good-voyage-shrine-renovations

From that article:

The shrine replaces a chapel of the same name — that building was razed recently to make way for a yet another towering Seaport development.

Is this true? I'm pretty sure the old chapel is still standing...

Are those rafters made out of fake old wood?

Are those rafters made out of fake old wood?

I believe that the wooden ship's hull ceiling was created custom for the church, so I guess it would be "fake old wood", or at least new wood made to look old.

Much of the rest of the interior detail and stained glass is salvaged from deconsecrated churches around Boston.

Has the previous chapel be demolished yet (I assume it has since it seemed to be holding up the Seaport Parcels...was it parcels M1 & M2 (whose thread is now more active))?

Has the previous chapel be demolished yet (I assume it has since it seemed to be holding up the Seaport Parcels...was it parcels M1 & M2 (whose thread is now more active))?

Parcel D. This one:

59303befd215f_02_Northern_Ave_016_CROP__1496333261_73651.jpeg

What did they save from the old church?
Dunno, but most of the new chapel came from better stuff salvaged from other churches.

Somewhere there is a warehouse full of old church parts, and there seems to be a standard operation when deconsecrating a church for demolition (salvaging altar and stained glass) so if they took out anything, its in a warehouse where it will compete for re-use with better stuff.

Back