Patriot Place | Foxboro

Re: Patriots Place

Very true, and I believe you mean "rely."

I'm way out of step. Based on what I've seen, I can't imagine people clamoring to visit the place. Ok, Bass has got a killer price on the Walther PPK. The Christmas Tree Shop and Staples rock. The CBS Zone of today is tomorrow's Planet Hollywood. But other than that, why would you bother going?

More retail openings at Patriot Place

The mega sports and entertainment complex called Patriot Place ? home of the New England Patriots and Gillette Stadium ? has added new stores.

Six retailers and two restaurants have opened at Patriot Place in recent weeks at the 1.3 million-square-foot complex in Foxborough, Mass.

Bath & Body Works, The CBS Store, Fossil, Godiva, Puma and Solstice Sunglass Boutique, as well as Baskin Robbins Caf? 31 and CBS Scene Restaurant & Bar have opened their doors. In addition, the Patriots ProShop has moved to its new 16,000-square-foot store.

Sixteen retail stores, six restaurants, a 14-screen Cinema de Lux movie theatre and Showcase Live, a live entertainment venue, are now open at Patriot Place.

Additional openings are planned for this month including the grand opening of The Hall at Patriot Place, presented by Raytheon on Sept. 22 following The Hall?s Inaugural Induction Weekend Sept. 18 to Sept. 21.

By the spring 2009, most of Patriot Place?s 70 shops, restaurants and entertainment venues are expected to be open, as well as a 150-room Marriott Renaissance Hotel & Spa and a Brigham & Women?s/Mass General Healthcare Center.

LINK

What's a CBS Store? What is The Hall?

I still don't understand the logic of putting a multiplex cinema next to a stadium that generates huge amounts of car traffic for every event. People won't want to go near the place on a football, soccer, or stadium-concert day.

^^ it has it's own parking lots.

Even if the stripmall and cinema have their own parking lots, everyone going to or from them still has to share Route 1 with all of the Gillette Stadium patrons. The location has no public transit except for football special trains, so everyone will be driving.

What's a CBS Store? What is The Hall?

I still don't understand the logic of putting a multiplex cinema next to a stadium that generates huge amounts of car traffic for every event. People won't want to go near the place on a football, soccer, or stadium-concert day.

Most soccer events don't attract a large enough crowd to make traffic in the area a deterrent to visiting Patriots Place. So now we are a talking about 10 football games a year and maybe 5-6 concert dates as the number of days where you would want to stay clear of the area due to traffic. I don't think they are overly concerned about 15 days a year where the traffic may make a visit for some prohibitive.

I have been to the movie theater and I thought it was very nicely done.

Even if the stripmall and cinema have their own parking lots, everyone going to or from them still has to share Route 1 with all of the Gillette Stadium patrons. The location has no public transit except for football special trains, so everyone will be driving.

on those 15-20 days a year, the patrons attending an event at the stadium will more than make up for the loss of business of the folks who stay clear those days because of the traffic.

While it is true that a multiplex cinema would theoretically lose 8 Sunday afternoons a year to the stadium traffic, this is a different type of theater. The people who want in-seat service and a fancy dinner before the film aren't going to Sunday matinees, so really the two don't conflict as much as it might appear at first blush.

Toby (yes, from June), are you being sarcastic? If I was running a consumer destination, I'd be thrilled to have any one of the things you're describing. I do believe, however, that CBSScene is in the wrong place without transit access. There's the anchor the SBW needs so badly... or that could help reinvent City Hall Plaza...

Well, the obvious thing has happened. Just about everyone misspells the name.

Why did Kraft decide to call the development "Patriot Place"?

The title of this thread is incorrect and should be changed.

I happen to like Bass Pro Shops (even though you can buy your firearms cheaper at www.gunbroker.com.) But the rest of it doesn't live up to the hype. All the P.R. blather led me to believe that this was going to be something special. It isn't.

O.K. Kudos for trying to use up some dead space around the stadium. But new malls are doing that today. For example, ran out of smokes the other day and accidentally tried to buy a Punch at some nauseating retailer called Brighton at this mall (www.shopcoconutpoint.com) The joint reeked of eucalyptus, old lady and Chanel No.5 (same thing, I guess.) Anyway, while I was puking in a fountain outside, between spasms I noticed that above the "shoppes" were condos. Wiping away the spittle, I discerned that the place was all faux Venetian villas, with the outdoor retail corridors subbing in for the canals (or sewers, depending on the Venetian season). The place was loaded with villas/condos. No Harry's Bar, though.

The retail mix at Parrots Place isn't even as interesting as that found at a typical Simon Co. suburban oeuvre. At least Kraft ought to add a "Hot Topic" so the Goth Girls will have a place to accessorize.

Who watched the game Sunday? Some time in the first or second quarter the sportscasters gave the minute-long pitch for the new CBS Scene while the camera did a long, slow zoom in on the building. It was funny because the building itself is banal as all hell, and the cameraman, apparently ordered to zoom in on the thing for the full minute, couldn't decided what to focus on since there was nothing remarkable to look at. Instead he hunted around until he ended up focusing on a blank expanse of glass. Even one of my friends who has no interest in architecture remarked on how lame it was.

I agree that the portion of PP that has opened so far doesn't qualify as special in any way. I was merely pointing out that may strip malls and "shopping destinations" feature far worse. That said, I do think the portions of this project that haven't opened up yet, when they were conceived, did offer something rather unique as an entertainment destination outside of Boston, with both CBSScene and their quasi-Main Street arrangement.

The biggest hurdle for this project, though, is Legacy Place up the road, which is far more convenient from the city itself, though devoid of all the football stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to see LP get traffic from the north, PP get traffic from the south, and thereby hurt each other quite a bit. Factor in Westwood Station and the planned Sharon thing and this field is getting a bit crowded -- and PP is quite boxed-in.

I admire the Krafts for many reasons, and I concur that it is admirable to fill the parking lots with something productive. While I see this succeeding modestly, this was indeed a chance to do something truly special which has failed to materialize so far, but then more is coming.

Good news for the Krafts is that none of their competition has anything really special going either, so they've still got an opening to impress.

I think the Sharon project Equilibria referred to is "Sharon Commons". A 450,000 SF lifestyle center adjacent to I-95. I've read that potential tenants may include Hannafords or Whole Foods and possibly Target. They began site work earlier this summer.

By the way, Whole Foods is a "rumored" tenant of every single lifestyle center. It is usually "rumored" by the developer who would like Whole Foods in their property as a way to generate excitement and/or town approvals. It is never rumored because of any actual interest or action taken by the Whole Foods corporation.

By the way, Whole Foods is a "rumored" tenant of every single lifestyle center. It is usually "rumored" by the developer who would like Whole Foods in their property as a way to generate excitement and/or town approvals. It is never rumored because of any actual interest or action taken by the Whole Foods corporation.

Legacy Place, Dedham?

Same always happens with every new residential development. "It's rumored a high-end 'name' chef is planning on opening a restaurant right downstairs!"

Back