Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only they had built that tower, it would have been an awesome hotel. Not sure if people would totally embrace it, but I have this suspicion that if someone maintained Brutalist masterpieces and really marketed them, the public would fall all over it. Especially the current generation of hipster pseudo-academic "artsy" kids. They would feel so original and unique!

In all seriousness though, it's a sick building that is tragically under-realized.

If the public were falling for it, the hipster kids would not feel original or unique.

Wish the BRA would consider the unbuilt tower. It would change the feeling for the whole block, perhaps even win over the haters.

Not possible. The Edward Brooke Courthouse now occupies the site intended for the tower.

I've got to say... I know the Hurley Building has lots of fans here, so I'll tread carefully. It is funky and endearing in a Blade Runner/Gattaca/Albany, NY, sort of way, and I understand the sentiment that it'd make a cool hotel, shopping center, residential space, or mix of all of the above.

But I still see it as bad for the urban environment. As monumental as it is (or maybe because it's so monumental), I always have the feeling that the Hurley fills its space poorly. In being long, short and monolithic, it's very anti-urban and even strikes me as being a fundamentally suburban structure (and not only because its plaza is a parking lot). It monopolizes the street in a way that is characteristic of the Raytheon HQ in Lexington, the TJX offices in Framingham, or any of the other office parks in Burlington, Waltham, etc. Yes, the staircases depicted above are pretty funky, but that's a small part of a very large building that for the most part is much less detailed and more monolithic. Even if you put retail in there, it'd still be a monolithic, deadening structure once you get past the staircases. I dig the B&W close-ups of the stairs, and when I see them I begin to think it would be a great hotel. But then I recall the rest of the structure, and the fantasy ends.

^ You could say the same thing about the Louvre? It's bulky. It deadens the street. It belongs in the suburbs with the other palaises.

I'd sooner compare a Milwaukee's Best to a Chimay.

130-6.jpg
131-4.jpg

Gorgeous weather today:
BostonCommonPanorama1.jpg

BostonCommon2.jpg

(I've been toying with photo stitching, can you tell?!)

Off Rowes Wharf, Boston Harbor

rowboat.jpg

Terrible photo of Zakim Bridge

zakim.jpg

Big buildings

buildings.jpg

"Vroom, vroom! Da nice powice man let me sit on his bike, mommy."

big_bike.jpg

Rowes Wharf

rowes.jpg

I don't think I've ever noticed that little building before, but it's quite nice. That pile-of-crap block it sits amongst makes my eyes look anywhere but.

That's a fairly recent fa?ade restoration (or reconstruction), I think.

Tremont Street just north of the Wilbur Theatre. A little Googling says that this restaurant opened in 2005, replacing a dive bar called Charley Flynn's.

A few from my walk:

4421886422_cba022281e_b.jpg

The clouds today were simply redunkulous... they make my shots look eleventy billion times better

4421140257_dc10f0e942_b.jpg

4421143527_3d11049dea_b.jpg

Last edited:
Love that Macallen picture. It really dramatically shows why luxury buyers have said "no thanks" to living in that perplexing industrial-like building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back