Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg, can you just walk around with your camera 24/7, and just take pictures for us? Forget any work you might have. With shots like that, you could make something as innocuous as a bit of litter seem incredibly significant. Thanks.

Vaguely French Chateau, vaguely Queen Anne, with a vaguely Romanesque ground floor. More to the point, its asymmetric 1891 design shows its spirit lies with the picturesque-romantic movement of the 1870s-80s, not the McKim, Mead & White-led classical revival of the 1890s.

Kennedy, your unfamiliarity with it stems not from it being a foreign (to Boston) style, rather that you never really see this look blown up to such proportions. It is a bit ungainly.

Thanks - haven't really gotten to the later nineteenth century yet in my art history class. Those proportions were irking me, now that I take a better look. I'm never one to diss the patinated copper and finer detail, but it just seemed like turrets and bays and cornices were arranged with no apparent coherence. Which would make sense considering what you said about asymmetry.

^ Do yourself a favor and get a copy of Built in Boston. It does a thorough job of explaining why Boston got the building stock it did, as well as describing the cornucopia of styles of the 19th and early 20th century.

4458736688_01de8f29d8_b.jpg

I'll check it out. Here's a picture from the same spot, took it back in February when I was in town. Yours is nicer, but it's a wicked cool shot. If only that gold dome was a bit more pronounced, and that lot was the back of some old industrial-looking building.

4472289636_8c95195cb6_b.jpg

why is the street light listing at a 20 degree angle? That looks dangerous.

Looks like it's leaning on the wires...you're right, that does look dangerous.

you def. got an eye for nite times shots! thanks for shareing!

Is the foreground building with many of the lights on offices or residential?

I want to say its a mixed use building cuz this photo was taken around 10:30 at night so not sure why so many lights were left on : ? (Shrug)

GMACK, do you use a gradient filter or overlay different exposures? I'm having a bitch of a time trying to take effective HDR shots. They all come out looks so crappy. I feel like I'm not getting the right ranges.

Anyway, fantastic shot!

Ahh it's so nice out today.... here's my nabe:

img2570.jpg

My library is one of the few wholeheartedly art deco buildings around

4485314018_c5a1df2918_b.jpg

A couple of 111 Huntingtons...

Today:

111hunt.jpg

Office window shot from a couple months ago:

111nmk.jpg

Very pretty (actually, reminds me a whole lot of St. Louis. Tons of those white, blossoming trees, tons of newish, suburban looking roads with fat medians like that, and tons of light colored stone and brick - due to the abundance of natural limestone).

^ Was that yesterday around 1PM? I went out to Fan Pier yesterday and took some pictures. Then I saw some smoke in the Cambridge/Charlestown direction and took a few of that. Will upload pics later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back