Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I guess if you like cities building towers that look like the horn of a unicorn (chicago) or that "walkie talkie" building in London that looks like a giant electric shaver, we could join your crusade against box towers. Also, buildings that look like giant pickles are so much better than giant box buildings. Yup, it so is.

What I like, are cities with the balls to allow new and different forms to take shape, even if I don't personally agree with every aesthetic. When was the last time Boston REALLY pushed itself, and didn't let architecture get bogged down by micro-management and hysterics?

You would think with our large design community and several big design schools in our environs, we would be setting the trends. Instead we continually export ideas and talent, have settled on a belief that progress merely is anything 'better than a parking lot', and that the only way to get anything done is to make it short, square, and out of brick.

Well, I guess if you like cities building towers that look like the horn of a unicorn (chicago) or that "walkie talkie" building in London that looks like a giant electric shaver, we could join your crusade against box towers. Also, buildings that look like giant pickles are so much better than giant box buildings. Yup, it so is.

^I?m happy to the first person on this forum to agree with you!

I'm sooo bored by these ?iconic? towers. Although the detailing and ?greenness? of the Gherkin building are remarkable, I think its form is appalling?.likewise the Cheese Grater and the unicorn horn and the walkie-talkie and most of Shanghai and all of Dubai?form for form?s sake. Any second year architecture student can design a tower that makes a statement. Yawn?

Show me a building that reflects the place that it exists ? the scale, the art, the materiality, the music, the history?not the po-mo gimmickry from the 80?s?show me real design and it won't matter to me if it's 8 stories or 80...that'll be something I can get excited about.

a building that reflects the place that it exists ? the scale, the art, the materiality, the music, the history?not the po-mo gimmickry from the 80?s?show me real design

Found one:
Pyongyang-feb-2009-crop-Ryugyong_Hotel_mod_timm.jpg

Well, I guess a building shaped as a pickle also suits London since it represents its cuisine.

pickle.jpg

So you guys now want pickles to grace Boston's skyline?

Show me a building that reflects the place that it exists ? the scale, the art, the materiality, the music, the history?not the po-mo gimmickry from the 80?s?show me real design and it won't matter to me if it's 8 stories or 80...that'll be something I can get excited about.

Hmmm...so since Boston is very dense, boxy, and short I'm guessing a perfection reflection would be a squat (short), boring (boxy), and fat (dense) tower. Now I understand how the city came to be. All of the buildings greatly reflects the place that it exist.

This is the embodiment of Boston:
ricspixs2910094.jpg

Can you please resize the image next time you post it (this goes for everyone). Yes the forum shrinks it down but expanding it makes it WAAY too big.

Not to be snarky, but if the forum shrinks it and we aren't expanding them (I usually don't), does it make a difference? Like, in terms of page load time maybe?

Van is 1024 x 768 a reasonable size? With flickr the next smallest default size is pretty small (600 x400ish).

Found this awesome shot earlier today:

It's from user Werner Kunz on flickr. It's worth looking through his photo stream too. Tons of other great Boston shots as well as other cities.

I love HDR photos (when done correctly) and found a ton of urban ones on this site that's worth looking at. The Boston on (above) was on there.

I'm not a huge fan of overdone HDR, which this seems to be, but it's very elegant at the same time. Very Robert Frost's Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening with a hint of post-apocalyptic desolation.

Washington Square on marathon Monday through the crappy lens of an iPhone...

redir.php

redir.php

redir.php

redir.php

1tphoto2aj

Is Boston as lax about red Solo beer cups as Brookline is?

Edit: I don't know why all the image links are dead. Here's a link to the album that hopefully works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back