Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shed a small tear every time I see that suburban patch of lawn where Columbus Center should be.

For a moderator, your behavior is disappointing to say the least!

Deep breath, man. You noted your frustration with people saying certain things in Boston could be Atlanta or anywhere else and he nicely (I think) explained these comments were generally not directed at the city as a whole, but at it's contemporary architecture.

I think perhaps you misread his comment as sarcasm when he was only attempting to be helpful.

^^Thanks Justin7. You are exacty right about the city as whole vs modern planning/architecture. That was the point I was poorly trying get across.

I will admit the "Do you get it now?" came off as a lot more snarky than I had intended, so I apologize for that.

The "Anytime!" was intended as a "Ha!ha! We're cool now" kind of comment but I knew that it could be misinterpreted so I added the smilie to reinforce the humor. It didn't work. :( Again, my fault. At that point I should have been more clear. Sometimes I'm not so good at conveying my ideas through words. At this point I should know better to just leave well enough alone.

So sad..this could be Houston, Atlanta, or Phoenix except for the Beacon St. street sign. Is there no one out there to build something uniquely styled to Boston?
Never encountered this (mea culpa!); this is the single best passage of urban design in Boston.

Or is there some sleight-of-hand that a wider view would reveal?

img0819x.jpg
Perfectly appalling.

It's double appalling. Further down the Pike, the owners of the Mass Pike Towers had, at one time, proposed building a massive complex of apartments. It never came to pass. I don't know if it was going to have covered the Pike, but it would have been a great way to sew the neighborhoods together.

That view is Ned Flaherty's gift to the city. Aren't you happy to know he's fighting to save Boston's historic Concrete Necklace?

Actually, that view dates back to the earliest filling of the Back Bay, when the Boston & Albany put railroad tracks on that right-of-way.

It's double appalling. Further down the Pike, the owners of the Mass Pike Towers had, at one time, proposed building a massive complex of apartments. It never came to pass. I don't know if it was going to have covered the Pike, but it would have been a great way to sew the neighborhoods together.

No that building was to be built on the existing surface parking lot. The New Herald Square was the vision that was supposed to cover the pike down there.

Actually, that view dates back to the earliest filling of the Back Bay, when the Boston & Albany put railroad tracks on that right-of-way.
Sagaciously anticipating the need for traffic lanes and bridges, the railroad demonstrated an early example of clairvoyance. Attempts to slay goats with stares, however, fell flat.

^^Thanks Justin7. You are exacty right about the city as whole vs modern planning/architecture. That was the point I was poorly trying get across.

I will admit the "Do you get it now?" came off as a lot more snarky than I had intended, so I apologize for that.

The "Anytime!" was intended as a "Ha!ha! We're cool now" kind of comment but I knew that it could be misinterpreted so I added the smilie to reinforce the humor. It didn't work. :( Again, my fault. At that point I should have been more clear. Sometimes I'm not so good at conveying my ideas through words. At this point I should know better to just leave well enough alone.

Thanks Statler and I am sorry for publicly questioning your behavior as a moderator. I should have written you in private with any concerns I might have had.

Is St. James Ave. the dullest street in central Boston?

The dullest, but with good potential.

If those ground floors had ritzy shops ...

Is this St. James? I think it's actually Stuart, based on the direction of traffic and the orientation of the Hancock Tower and Copley Place in the background.

I'd nominate Sudbury, Chardon, and Staniford Streets for 'dull' well before either St. James or Stuart.

St. James Ave. has the Hancock Tower, Trinity Church, and Copley Plaza hotel all together at one end, which I wouldn't call at all 'dull'.

Last edited:
Are the dull comments directed at Stuart Street (which is pictured) or St James?

I'll second Ron's nominations for dullest.

My apologies to St. James St., which is clearly so distinct I don't know how I could have confused them.

Stuart Street for sure. It's always struck me as the high spine's access entrances / back alley thoroughfare. Some storefronts opened up in the back of the Prudential Center facing Huntington (e.g. Saku) but from a street-level perspective they're not very successful. Blame the covered pedestrian bridges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back