Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dullest, but with good potential.

If those ground floors had ritzy shops ...

Amen. Great "bones," but no people -- something that can always change with time and a few energetic/imaginative business owners.

img4233g.jpg

If you think that's bad, remember that the building u/c is now complete with its very own soul-shattering facade.

^ East Berlin with a Boston accent (the WTC)

Re: Stuart St.: you can't just plug in retail space and hope it's successful. For whatever reason, no one shops in office districts. Successful retail streets either were that way from the beginning (Washington, Boylston) or were converted from successful residential ones (Newbury and Fifth/Madison in New York). All the old buildings in the Financial District theoretically have retail space, but it all winds up being copy shops, coffee shops, office supply depots, or lunch-only delis.

Is St. James Ave. the dullest street in central Boston?

I think the diagonal stretch of Columbus just south is worse. Lots of vacant lots.

I guess many would consider it "no man's land" and not true central Boston. But that's just making an excuse for it.

img3448w.jpg

One of my favorite streets.

img2789s.jpg

And for this last one, please don't think about it too hard or your head might asplode.

funny20070522bos.jpg

Is that second one near Broad St? That whole area could turn out to be a great little neighborhood if the Greenway is ever developed.

wow I bought ballons from that guy when my now 24 yr old son was 12 1$ each

That little street is very aesthetically pleasing but totally empty...and not just in the photo. It's always empty.

And that's one of the things I love most about Custom House Street: no people!

A green roof system on the City Hall would be EPIC. That's something Menino could actually accomplish (if he didn't want it torn down). The guy is rotting flesh, too bad we have him for a few more years.

Props to Van for that idea! Falls right in with whoever proposed the greenery could significantly help Brutalist buildings. Plus, it's all friendly and green. Now, powerwash/sandblast the entire exterior, replace all the windows, and work on the damn plaza.

And commission Office dA to do the Gov't Center headhouses.

Is it a problem that I think that Custom House St., the St. James/Stuart St. in the previous page, and the Seaport photo all appeal to me in some uncanny way? I love Newbury and Boylston, etc., but for some reason, these "bland" streets have some great aesthetic attraction. I'm practically ashamed to admit it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back