Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago
brooklinewindow.jpg

Some of my fondest memories of Boston are of watching a trolley roll silently down the street at night while it's snowing.

Totally agree. I know this isn't a great photo but thought it was worth posting exactly because it evokes those feelings for me - I think this was a peaceful Sunday morning post-snowstorm.

By the way, I love living next to the trolley. The whiney singsong whoooosh is extremely soothing, and I often think of its ding-ding as a friendly hello. You don't even hear the noise at all after a while unless you're paying attention.

Praise the Lord, Beacon Street has no buses by where I live. Have you lived next to a bus stop? Loud, smelly, not fun. One reason why BRT=fail.

this pix did bring back memories of living on Comm ave way back when! me 24 yrs ago
merat23.jpg

Last edited:
4270884883_23bd156b3f.jpg

Starry Night
Duration: December 20, 2009-February 20, 2010 (weather permitting)

Starry Night will create the illusion of being under a starry sky as you walk under the Summer Street overpass on A Street in Fort Point, Boston. One aspect of city life is the rarity of a starlit sky. Memories of crisp, cold air and midnight black skies, punctuated by brilliant blue-white stars, are evoked by this installation.

The area is frequently traversed by the many workers and residents of our community, but it is currently dingy and poorly lit. Starry Night will create a glow that transforms that short walk into a festive, enchanting and memory-evoking experience.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmack24/4270884883/

^^What do you suppose was the most recently built building in that photo?

So sad..this could be Houston, Atlanta, or Phoenix except for the Beacon St. street sign. Is there no one out there to build something uniquely styled to Boston?

LOL.... not sure what prompted the sarcasm, but LOL.

Couldn't help myself; the pic was the perfect picture of some perfectly picturesque Boston buildings taken from the Common that prompted it. I just get so tired of seeing the comment..."oh this could be El Paso, Nashville, or everyone's fav...Atlanta" that I couldn't help myself. Boston has literally block after block after block....after block of georgeous architecture/street scapes that seriously, no other American city can compete with.

And none of it has been built in the past 40 years, which is where the criticism comes from.

Everyone here perfectly understands places like Back Bay, South End, Beacon Hill and the North End are uniquely Boston. The problem is with places like the Greenway, Government Center and the Seaport.

Perfect example: The SCL building. The current building is pure Boston. The planned replacement? Anywhere, USA.

Get the idea?

Since this is posted under "Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part III, under the general heading of "Existing Development" (didn't realize that you set a 40 year built development limit) it seemed like the right place to poke a bit of fun, something I rarely do. I guess I hit a nerve. And I do "get it" now, statler, thanks "educating me!"

Perfect example: The SCL building. The current building is pure Boston.

Actually, it's a pretty generic 19th century commercial building. It could be in Chicago, Cincinnati, or St. Louis. Not that it's not worth saving, but it doesn't scream "Boston!" to me like Beacon Hill does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back