Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part V (2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did the stainless steel lettering come down?

6823425437_16cea0d485_b.jpg

The lettering came down immediately after the Boston Landmark Commission rejected the building's preservation worthiness. I'm guessing the rationale behind its removal was to erase any physical remnants that could possibly evoke a sentimental response in the populace. The same thing was done by Druker with the Woman's Educational and Industrial Union on Boylston St. The building stands for now, but the letters, as of recently, have been removed.

the Women's Educational and Industrial Union sign came down because that organization vacated the storefront (long before Druker proposed to tear it down) and an unrelated retailer opened in its place.

the Women's Educational and Industrial Union sign came down because that organization vacated the storefront (long before Druker proposed to tear it down) and an unrelated retailer opened in its place.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong, Ron. I've personally taken dozens of photographs in the last several years showing the lettering and, after I dig them up, I will gladly post them if people are interested. The lettering did not come down until immediately after the Boston Landmarks Commission rendered their decision that these buildings were not worthy of preservation. Here's a photo by Statler from 2008 (long after the organization had vacated the building) showing a portion of the lettering that was removed recently:

2219255068_a190b2e06a.jpg

See more of his photos in the Shreve's thread HERE.

I can only speculate, but it's pretty clear to me why the lettering was removed. Druker wanted to remove any historic associations with the building. The Woman's Education and Industrial Union was an important institution in the woman's equality movement. Amelia Earhart was taken in by the Boston Woman's Education and Industrial Union--though, unfortunately, at the time in a different building. But the organization's historic importance is pretty clear. That's why the lettering was removed.

Thanks -- looks like I was wrong. It's a bit disconcerting now to see a garish iParty store in that space.

Love the first shot. Can't figure out if I love the lighting fixtures on Comm Ave. Is it charming that they're so misaligned or looking a bit neglectful?

Love the first shot. Can't figure out if I love the lighting fixtures on Comm Ave. Is it charming that they're so misaligned or looking a bit neglectful?

I noticed the lamps right away and immediately started blaming Menino. Other than that, awesome pic.

It's been very windy for the last few days, which might explain that light fixture.

(Are those gaslights, or electric?)

Absolutely...the picture would have nowhere near the magic were they marching down the road in perfect formation. Much better that they're crooked just like those Bob Ross trees to the right.

Absolutely...the picture would have nowhere near the magic were they marching down the road in perfect formation. Much better that they're crooked just like those Bob Ross trees to the right.

Kz -- Boston can be very photogenic during the spring flowering-tree period
Comm Ave, the Esplanade and of course the Arboretum {particularly Peter's Hill)
tree_250.jpg

I like both shots. The second one has a 70's sci-fi Soylent Green feel.

Kz -- Boston can be very photogenic during the spring flowering-tree period
Comm Ave, the Esplanade and of course the Arboretum {particularly Peter's Hill)

You don't need to tell me twice! During that period the Back Bay may as well be Heaven On Earth as far as I'm concerned. These are all from 2008:

img5111.jpg

img6070.jpg

img6191.jpg

Just imagine that second shot without the insultingly autocentric in-street onramp advertising itself to one of Boston's prime pedestrian open spaces...

Just imagine that second shot without the insultingly autocentric in-street onramp advertising itself to one of Boston's prime pedestrian open spaces...

Cz -- you're starting to sound like Rif -- one target irrespective of whats actually in your field of view

img5111.jpg

Note that long row building -- it was originally constructed for the insufferably equinocentric era -- those buildings were stables for the 1%ers

Things change -- someday that parking lot will be something else

He is talking about the on-ramp, which is not going away anytime soon.

Also, things only change when people change them, which they are more apt to do when someone points out a flaw in the way things are, which is exactly what czsz did.

Last edited:
Thanks, statler. Also, I'm pretty sure it was pretty well within the field of view of that photo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back