Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part V (2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Greenspace-centric wasteland.

What's up with the reeds? What landscape architect thought it would even be worth playing at the idea of Cape Cod or the Great Dismal Swamp in the midst of a busy square? Why can't we let the city be the city instead of burying it in shrubbery?

CZ -- so you don't think much of Olmstead?

He was a great proponent in making the city green as the feeling about 125 to 150 years ago was that cities were too crowded and too stifling

CZ -- so you don't think much of Olmstead?

He was a great proponent in making the city green as the feeling about 125 to 150 years ago was that cities were too crowded and too stifling

There's a difference between Olmstead building parklands and trying to make what's clearly a bustling urban square "green" by importing minuscule features of a rural landscape that don't belong there.

Can we celebrate the positive features of the urbanity of Boston nowhere, or must every part of the city be rendered an "escape" from itself?

008-7.jpg
Needham

Awesome! Yep, Needham has some impressive alleys for a small, suburban town...one or two have even been rehabbed as tiny pedestrian passages.

I didn't realize the Kevin White statue in Faneuil Hall was so big. I figured it was life-sized but he's easily 10 feet tall? (No, he's not that much taller than the lady behind him, she's a block away.)

Boston-20120420-00213.jpg

I didn't realize the Kevin White statue in Faneuil Hall was so big. I figured it was life-sized but he's easily 10 feet tall? (No, he's not that much taller than the lady behind him, she's a block away.)

John -- Is is it too presumptuous to suggest moving Kevin into the new gallery in the MFA devoted to Gods, Goddesses and Heroes

Kevin's big enough to be a fine partner for Juno and I think the contrast in styles would be most instructive

I drove by here yesterday and liked the way it looked with all the reeds burnt down,the boys will hate it,one of them smokeing probally cause it? It just seem nice all opened up with veiws of the river and gardens

The city/state (DCR?) burns the phragmites down periodically because a) they're an invasive species clogging the riverfront and b) to dissuade people from using it for questionable and/or illegal activities. I last remember them doing that back in '07, but those pesky phragmites grew back almost instantaneously.

This large scorched area is actually the result of a pretty gnarly brushfire that occurred a couple of weeks ago and sent a huge cloud of smoke and phragmite ash down Boylston Street. It was covered on Universal Hub.

I agree that the cleared area looks great and is a big improvement.

This large scorched area is actually the result of a pretty gnarly brushfire that occurred a couple of weeks ago and sent a huge cloud of smoke and phragmite ash down Boylston Street. It was covered on Universal Hub.

I agree that the cleared area looks great and is a big improvement.

Interesting iron -- the building in the foreground is Boston Fire Alarm (911) HQ -- it has special zoning authority preventing any structure from being built within (I believe 250 feet) -- but because of stupid PCness the highly combustible phragmites are allowed to grow right-up to the back door

I'm sorry. I missed a memo. Which PC group is fighting to save invasive plant life?

Kz, Boston, Lrfox, Dzh22.....real nice pics! Thanks for posting! I especially love the MassArt building poking up from the Fens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back