Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part V (2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't get that on-ramp either. There's another westbound onramp literally one block away on Clarendon under the garage. Anyone who's coming on further west than that can use the Newbury Street exit.

So, I don't think it's irrelevant at all to ask why Copley Square needs an interstate-signed hole in the ground. The St James/Huntington/Dartmouth corner could be put to much, much, better use.

Not having the on-ramp there would put more pressure on the Clarendon / Stuart street corner, but maybe that's not a bad thing? It's a pretty pedestrian-heavy intersection, though.

They were doing roadwork in the St James / Huntington on-ramp yesterday. In the 30 seconds I was standing there, about five cars whipped around the corner from Dartmouth Street and practically hit the cones in the entry way before realizing they couldn't enter. The looks on the drivers' faces were unbelievable - they were so pissed off at this minor convenience. And this was at the beginning of their commutes home, presumably. Why do I live in the city? So I don't have to deal with angry, crazy nutjobs.

I really don't get that on-ramp either. There's another westbound onramp literally one block away on Clarendon under the garage. Anyone who's coming on further west than that can use the Newbury Street exit.

So, I don't think it's irrelevant at all to ask why Copley Square needs an interstate-signed hole in the ground. The St James/Huntington/Dartmouth corner could be put to much, much, better use.

Obviously there need to be westbound on-ramps somewhere in the vicinity of the Pru to handle the large volume of homeward bound commuters. However, I'd trade that Copley westbound-on for an eastbound-on in that vicinity anyday.

The real problem is that as the Pike was being extended into Boston -- it just dead-ended into the Central Artery and then as the Inner-belt was never built the proper mix of ramps was never built. And -- thanks to the Back Bay NIMBYs the next and perhaps last good opportunity to fix things, when the BiG DIG was being designed was missed.

The Pike desparately needs both an Eastbound on-ramp and a Westbound off-ramp in the Back Bay to handle taxies and buses carrying visitors to/from the BCEC -- the slingshot all the way out to Alston is just slightly better than nothing.

I've been in a black and white mood lately...

6917756752_645f9a6583_b.jpg

That looks like a row of shoes sticking out of the wall. (New Balance would love it.)

^ Greenspace-centric wasteland.

What's up with the reeds? What landscape architect thought it would even be worth playing at the idea of Cape Cod or the Great Dismal Swamp in the midst of a busy square? Why can't we let the city be the city instead of burying it in shrubbery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back