Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part V (2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whighlander, if you feel the need to quote the post directly above you, can you remove the picture? It makes for a sloppy read when you see the same image posted twice in a row. And even then, if you're responding to the latest post, what's the need to quote it at all? Thanks.

Whighlander, if you feel the need to quote the post directly above you, can you remove the picture? It makes for a sloppy read when you see the same image posted twice in a row. And even then, if you're responding to the latest post, what's the need to quote it at all? Thanks.

Kz -- I'll keep it in mind -- it's too easy to do if you quote the previous post

However, there are times when someone posts a bunch of pictures and the response needs to address on in the middle --I think in those cases the reposting of the picture is appropriate

020.jpg
<Castle Is. Pru Center
024-1.jpg

It takes great predictive intelligence and reflexes to catch an American flag against an AA jet. Well done Boston02124!

Here are a few from over the years:

"Layers" - on Boylston across from the Common:
4542791347_532fec533f_z.jpg

"Condensed Boston Soup":
3691732429_2af0cb6aae_z.jpg

3452000487_501be2a79f_z.jpg

Long exposure of Congress St from the Govt Center garage:
6757161807_124a60bd5d_z.jpg

Building names along with heights and years completed are tagged in this version

Keep up the good work!

Here's a 1996 shot I took of the central artery. There's a traffic jam here...what a suprise :)

6967403017_f4659ee8c0_b.jpg

I took a lot of pictures this weekend. Not sure which ones to post so I will just start with a few from the clock.

IMG_4500.jpg

I don't know this guy but he was in the way and I thought the shot looked cool with a person in it

IMG_4487.jpg

IMG_4472.jpg

IMG_4473.jpg

IMG_4479.jpg

Apparently there was a wicked big fiah in Downtown Bawstin that made it look like fukin doomsday. Read on ......
Smoky fire in garage near Back Bay Hilton causes outages:

GM -- Not a fire in a garage -- a 115 KV Mega Transformer stepping the voltage down to 14 KV feeding a lot of Back Bay and on down to Chinatown blew-up and then burned

NSTAR tuned off the other transformer circuit to allow the BFD to pour water onto the transformer fire

The electrical fire was reported about 6:27 p.m. in a building on Scotia Street, adjacent to the Back Bay Hilton Hotel, fire officials said.
The building houses two large transformers, and the fire is burning in a 115,000-volt transformer, officials said.

One transformer at Scotia Station #492 was damaged beyond repair the other is being inspected, repaired and tested -- in the mean time a whole bunch of mobile generators are taking over the load as service is gradually being restored -- about 11,000 customers were still without power at 1:00 PM EDT

fire_map.JPG

area still effected in Green

b8026e_fire31412.jpg

some of the damage to the substation building

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/re...y_still_without_power/srvc=home&position=also

nearly two miles of jumper lines will be run through Back Bay in an effort to get people’s power back on, and officials have brought in a spare transformer in case a complete overhaul of the damaged equipment is necessary. He [Schweiger, NSTAR Senor VP for Operations] said the transformer can weigh more than 100 tons and is equivalent to two tractor trailers stacked high and wide. He said 600 to 800 NStar employees have been out in the field since the blackout..... Schweiger [NSTAR Senor VP for Operations] said investigators will likely begin digging tomorrow for the cause of the blaze. He said it will likely cost between $2 and $2.5 million to replace the destroyed equipment, which spewed black smoke and sent hundreds streaming into the streets.

lp_021.jpg

lp_020.jpg

some illustrative photos of the type of equipment involved in the explosion/fire

Last edited:
Shots from the roof deck of Independence Wharf:

LQxlD.jpg

PZvcK.jpg

Great illustrations of the "Greenway" being at least 50% asphalt and concrete.

You know full well that that's one section and that the greenway is not 50% asphalt and concrete. For a couple of years now the attitude on the forum has really sucked. Please everyone move somewhere else if you think Boston is that bad, end everyplace else is so much better. People on this forum sound just like nimbus.

You know full well that that's one section and that the greenway is not 50% asphalt and concrete. For a couple of years now the attitude on the forum has really sucked. Please everyone move somewhere else if you think Boston is that bad, end everyplace else is so much better. People on this forum sound just like nimbus.

Not everyone can take tough love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back