Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part VI (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At ground level, the Motor Mart is a row of restaurants (and maybe some retail, I don't recall right now). What's above the ground level doesn't matter much when you're walking there.

Actually, it does. More apartments or offices instead of cars = more pedestrian streetlife, less deadly traffic, more tax revenue to make improvements to the streetscape, etc. etc.

036_zps4745ee5e.jpg
131_zpsafbe4e00.jpg
035_zps3ebe8417.jpg
033_zpsb8c5a9ce.jpg
059_zpse8cd2588.jpg

Gorgeous sunset! Nice job getting all three Prudential Center buildings in like that as well. The three together present an interesting contrast of styles.

WOW!! Beautiful pics from different perspectives/angles...so different from your 'in the car, one hand on the wheel, one on the camera' perspective (which I also enjoy)! :) Thanks!!

WOW!! Beautiful pics from different perspectives/angles...so different from your 'in the car, one hand on the wheel, one on the camera' perspective (which I also enjoy)! :) Thanks!!
thanks 3 of those were taking from the car though :)

last week during the cold spell
092_zpsa51f74df.jpg
096_zpse192ad5e.jpg
095_zpsed974455.jpg
097_zps1aaa28bc.jpg
098_zps740fc3c1.jpg
thought Id make it thru then the wind changed again
099_zps7cdae324.jpg
010_zps51f03f27.jpg
009_zps567182a9.jpg
021_zps44a54cd1.jpg
029_zps93d9ccb6.jpg
056_zps26590e66.jpg

These represent my first real attempts at post-processing my photos. Definitely a work in progress... 2nd one is an old pic from NH.

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_0122a.jpg

Eventually tried to make this look "vintage" after struggling with it for a while

IMG_4903.jpg

Last edited:
The grand experiment continues.....

IMG_4469.jpg

IMG_4455a.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots, all.
The first in the series, with all the Financial District buildings looking very two-dimensional, was especially cool.

I am addicted to this. I have over 40,000 pictures from the last few years just begging to reach their full potential.

IMG_0621a.jpg

So you're going the instagram route of pretending to be a good photographer by slapping on a filter? You take great shots as it is, why ruin them?

So you're going the instagram route of pretending to be a good photographer by slapping on a filter? You take great shots as it is, why ruin them?

No, not instagram. I'm not just slapping on a filter either. I'm actually making a bunch of adjustments, mostly trying to bring out the colors and remove the washed-out feels. It's a very delicate process, and has been taking me about 10-20 minutes per picture.

I think this pic from Atlanta best illustrates how I'm trying to improve the pictures without making them look fake. I don't think my pics looked bad before either, but it's really stunning the difference this can make.

IMG_2263-Copy-1.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

Just a tip - if you're not going for the "Instagram look" then you should tone down the contrast of your postprocessed shots just a little to get a more realistic feel. Those popping colors can be so tempting, but it's easy to take it too far.

I actually lowered the saturation/vibrancy on some and raised it in others. Haven't gone all that overboard on the contrast given the possibilities. It's mostly just a lot of trial and error right now. That Atlanta one was literally the first I ever attempted. Reason I started is the glass ceiling I encountered when I put the pics out too be rated. Always calls for "more contrast" or some other problem. Highest rated pics always always always have some sort of assist, whether from HDR or filters. What I saw in person certainly seemed more vibrant than the washed out pictures that tended to be produced.

I did these today of NH (Boston this weekend?) and Somerville

IMG_2991a.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

Last edited:
As an aside, have any of you ever printed your pictures? I made quite a few big prints a few years back, sold off about $1000 worth including frames (haven't broken even yet) and I always thought they looked kind of dark and dull compared to what I was hoping for. If I ever do it again, I definitely thing I would make these kinds of adjustments first.

I realize it is "controversial", and I will refrain from posting them here if people are that bothered by it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not exactly the first person who has ever edited their pictures before putting them on this site.

I almost always "enhance" my photos through Flickr's editing tool before posting them. I don't do very much, but I like to make them 'pop' a little more. Just do make things a little clearer, and a little less drab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back