Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part VIII (2015)

Greetings! I'm a Boston based photographer

Hello Guys!

I'm pretty glad I found this forum because it seems that you all are very passionate about Boston architecture (well, appropriately so, lol).

I am a Boston based photographer looking to get new perspectives of Boston. I want to take the type of photos that a lot of regular people can't get to. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on how to do this. I'm looking to take photos from tall buildings but it seems difficult to get access to such buildings.

I started looking on Wikipedia's Boston's tallest buildings and started emailing the building managers or any contact information I could find, asking if I could take photos from their top floor (or even roof), given that I would even pay a fee or do free photography work for them. I'm not getting any replies so I don't think this is something any building managers want to deal with.

If any of you have any ideas, please let me know!

I'll be going on a helicopter ride in a few weeks so I hope to you show guys some new aerial footage of Boston, as I see you guys have a thread for that.

----

Other ideas that I will be trying soon: Prudential Skywalk Observatory and Marriott's Custom House observation deck.

Last edited:
tumblr_nqq755inER1upu1wpo1_1280.jpg

Re: Greetings! I'm a Boston based photographer a question...

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission. As my priest used to say.

Just kidding. We'll all have to put our thinking caps on in order to answer your question.

I like your idea.

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission. As my priest used to say.

This. Play dumb, say you were looking for the bathroom or something and got lost. I think one of the first times I did this was at MIT, the Green Building, where I knocked on someones door and said I was a student just to get a picture from the top of the building. If you want great pictures you have to be bold.

Just be careful with the buildings you chose if you decide to go the above route.

The downtown towers almost all have turnstiles now and/or keycarded elevators. Access is going to be impossible and piggybacking behind someone is extremely risky because building security will prosecute for trespassing if you bypass these measures. These buildings in particular monitor every single person who enters and exits the building via the BMS (building management system) by swiping into the turnstile and is intended to give accurate occupancy counts in the event of an emergency.

i looked at the green building once. even if i were to get inside, i'm not sure if there is actually a stairwell that leads to the roof. i work right by here so it wouldn't be out of my way to try.

This. Play dumb, say you were looking for the bathroom or something and got lost. I think one of the first times I did this was at MIT, the Green Building, where I knocked on someones door and said I was a student just to get a picture from the top of the building. If you want great pictures you have to be bold.

Visual, I have been to the roofs of many area parking garages. Not very high, but you can get some nice shots and most of the time no one bothers you. One caution is not to go above the 8th floor of the Government Ctr. Garage. The Feds, on the upper two office floors, get nervous.
Other garages I like are the Renaissance Garage Northeastern, New Balance Garage Guest Street Brighton, Harbor Towers Garage on the Greenway, and Channel Ctr. Garage Fort Point.

i looked at the green building once. even if i were to get inside, i'm not sure if there is actually a stairwell that leads to the roof. i work right by here so it wouldn't be out of my way to try.

If you work in Cambridge, the Marriott Cambridge Center has a great view of the skyline from the top floor elevator lobby. Just don't spend too much time there and the staff shouldn't mind. Play it smooth if anyone questions you - "waiting for a friend" or something.

Alternatively, the Marriott Copley Place has views of Cambridge from the ends of the hallways on 38.

Visual, I have been to the roofs of many area parking garages. Not very high, but you can get some nice shots and most of the time no one bothers you. One caution is not to go above the 8th floor of the Government Ctr. Garage. The Feds, on the upper two office floors, get nervous.
Other garages I like are the Renaissance Garage Northeastern, New Balance Garage Guest Street Brighton, Harbor Towers Garage on the Greenway, and Channel Ctr. Garage Fort Point.

I like the view from the top floor of the 100 Clarendon Garage. I've taken photos from up there before. I've never been bothered.

Other garages I like are the Renaissance Garage Northeastern....

This one's view is getting ruined.

If you could get somebody to allow you up the Dorchester Heights monument I bet there's a great unobstructed view from there. (if you do this please tell me how!)

Science museum's parking garage has good Back Bay views.

Pregnant Building (BOA) has a large function room or whatever on the top floor. Maybe they'd let you up for pics?

Independence Wharf has a decent little observation deck. Rowes Wharf will also allow you up to the function room at the top for pictures. The Custom House clock tower is a good spot except there's construction going on there now. Normally you can go up above the clock daily at 2:00.

Clipboard. Hard hat. Construction elevator.

Rennaisance:
11191558_813295968753891_1790899095_n.jpg

Government center:
11355915_459823410860765_820384652_n.jpg

New balance is kinda far from the city. Harbor Towers I've been up, but I didn't like the view as much as government center.

I've been by Channel Ctr Garage but it seemed kinda low, so I haven't gone in to check out the view.

Lol. During the day takes balls.

That's why I really want to contact somebody legit so I can get in legit. Without having to sneak around. I mean, it's free photos. I guess they're scared of liability issues ... but I would totally sign anything...

Clipboard. Hard hat. Construction elevator.

I'll have to look into Dorchester Heights monument. Never thought to even try this.

I've been by Science Museum but it seemed low. I'll give it a shot one day.

I didn't know that about BOA, I'll give them a call!

I've been meaning to try Custom House, but yeah, construction.

Independence Wharf:
tumblr_nqq761TLIG1upu1wpo1_1280.jpg

This one's view is getting ruined.

If you could get somebody to allow you up the Dorchester Heights monument I bet there's a great unobstructed view from there. (if you do this please tell me how!)

Science museum's parking garage has good Back Bay views.

Pregnant Building (BOA) has a large function room or whatever on the top floor. Maybe they'd let you up for pics?

Independence Wharf has a decent little observation deck. Rowes Wharf will also allow you up to the function room at the top for pictures. The Custom House clock tower is a good spot except there's construction going on there now. Normally you can go up above the clock daily at 2:00.

I'll check out these Marriotts, thanks!

If you work in Cambridge, the Marriott Cambridge Center has a great view of the skyline from the top floor elevator lobby. Just don't spend too much time there and the staff shouldn't mind. Play it smooth if anyone questions you - "waiting for a friend" or something.

Alternatively, the Marriott Copley Place has views of Cambridge from the ends of the hallways on 38.

Back