Piedmont Park Square (Coconut Grove site) | 21 Piedmont Street | Bay Village

I wouldn't move in here if it was free, but that's a personal hang-up. (wouldn't buy one of those "murder houses" either) I'll be curious to see if we hear of any reported hauntings over the next few years. Call me superstitious, but the site of the deadliest nightclub fire in history is not the kind of place I gravitate to.

DZH22 -- and yet a recent comparison of two cities

If you didn't know better you would think that Detroit [once on of the US Crown Jewel Cities] and not Hiroshima was the loser of a bitter war

ATT00019.jpg
45388.bmp

kinda reminds me of the Golden Triangle and Pittsburgh after Big Steel left

Here's some recent Detroit for comparison [not saying all of it is in this shape BUT]
article-2378760-1B002EE4000005DC-203_634x685.jpg
51e9636a!h.300,id.9292,m.fill,w.540
3d9e499441c6f1263cc2b5528517f93fbbb58486.jpg

AND circa 1942
Woodward_Ave_Detroit_1942.jpg

same area today
AR-130729926.jpg

So Who really has made more progress in 70 years after the "Eve of Destruction" ???

Why those cities in particular?

Interesting, commonly visited cities where hundreds of thousands were incinerated/left to die in streets/you walk on the ashes of the dead.

But I take your point!

I walked around it a month ago and was wondering about the plaque too. Also noticed that a few windows on the ground floor were broken or shot at and one was popped open (in a clearly empty apartment) - was wondering if someone would be surprised by a squatter at the open house.

Someone should show the condo owners the photographs in this thread to prove that the bulk of the Cocoanut Grove lay beneath their building.

That's got to be some bad voodoo moving that plaque. I would not want to upset whoever may be haunting that site.

I'm thinking some clear Lucite figures on the sidewalk internally lit with flickering yellow, red and blue lighting. And a further plaque explaining how out of the tragedy came great advances in burn treatment that saved lives in WW 2.

IMO, the sidewalk has become too narrow for the plaque in its original location. Depending on how much the lettered relief is raised, some might argue that it would represent a safety hazard.

They need tp do something more than this, which, as is, has no geographical context.

Back