Piedmont Park Square (Coconut Grove site) | 21 Piedmont Street | Bay Village

That did come out pretty good, IMHO

Weren't they supposed to re-install / install a commemorative plaque / marker? Or is it in the sidewalk?

Very nice. And contextual without resorting to historicist fakery.

What was there before? I can't remember...

Edit: n/m, should have checked the first page first.

Weren't they supposed to re-install / install a commemorative plaque / marker? Or is it in the sidewalk?

I didn't see any plaque on the side walk. The only thing of note was a bunch of flowers tied to the street sign post (Coconut Grove Ln.).

Very nice. And contextual without resorting to historicist fakery.

Yeah. I really like how this came out. Don't know that I could live there given the history of the site. But still a well done project.

Gee, not that I am suspicious or anything, but I just can't imagine why a developer (who wants to sell condos) would conveniently "forget" to put the Coconut Grove plaque back in place.

Gee, not that I am suspicious or anything, but I just can't imagine why a developer (who wants to sell condos) would conveniently "forget" to put the Coconut Grove plaque back in place.
The plaque was set in the sidewalk, which is a public way, and not on the property of the developer.

(I've discovered the spelling was Cocoanot, not Coconut.)

triangle-shirtwaist-fire-national-historic-site.jpg

^^^On the side of a building.

LI-archi-CH-090b.jpg

LI-archi-CH-102b.jpg

^^^ Chicago City Hall.

The plaque was set in the sidewalk, which is a public way, and not on the property of the developer.

(I've discovered the spelling was Cocoanot, not Coconut.)

triangle-shirtwaist-fire-national-historic-site.jpg

^^^On the side of a building.

LI-archi-CH-090b.jpg

LI-archi-CH-102b.jpg

^^^ Chicago City Hall.

OK, but I do believe that the developer tore up all the sidewalks in the area for construction, and then replaced them when done with construction. So the plaque is sort of his responsibility? (Unless it was removed by the city before they started work.)

I wouldn't move in here if it was free, but that's a personal hang-up. (wouldn't buy one of those "murder houses" either) I'll be curious to see if we hear of any reported hauntings over the next few years. Call me superstitious, but the site of the deadliest nightclub fire in history is not the kind of place I gravitate to.

Love the corner detail with the offset glass volumes! Shame the 2 "roofs" of the boxes aren't balconies for the units in level 3 & 4!

I wouldn't move in here if it was free, but that's a personal hang-up. (wouldn't buy one of those "murder houses" either) I'll be curious to see if we hear of any reported hauntings over the next few years. Call me superstitious, but the site of the deadliest nightclub fire in history is not the kind of place I gravitate to.

You'd have to rule out living in St Petersburg, Tokyo, Berlin, Hamburg...!

You'd have to rule out living in St Petersburg, Tokyo, Berlin, Hamburg...!

Why those cities in particular? Also..... done, done, done, and done! None of those made it onto my (extremely) short list anyways.

Boston (and surroundings), Melbourne Australia, or, based on affordability, longer shot New England cities Providence and Portland, and even longer shot (but still awesome) Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. That's probably my whole list at this point. Not moving back down South (cities are pathetic), not moving to a non-English speaking city, (rules out the amazing Montreal), and don't see the point of expanding on a list that really doesn't need to go past Boston.

By the way, I just spent over 2 hours yesterday on the Pru observation deck (362 pics taken) and it really reaffirmed that, outside of NYC, there is not a better urban center in the country than Boston! The last few years of nonstop infill really shows from up there. The view is much more impressive than I remembered!

Will you be sharing???????

Yes but it's going to take me all week to get through them. Many will find their way into these individual threads. I plan to post a more comprehensive thread on SSC/SSP and I'll link put the link in a few spots on AB when I do that. Don't worry, I didn't take that many pics to keep them to myself!!!

(as another aside, my grad school ID inexplicably hasn't expired yet.... got a discount!)

Back