Pier 4 Condo Building (Former Anthony's site) | Seaport

Re: Pier 4 Commercial-Condo Building (Former Anthony's site) | Seaport

Sleek and sexy.

Anything would have looked better than the Parking lots.

The way its evolving:
A: Kendall Square on the Waterfront
or
B: 128 Burlington Office Park on the waterfront
The point of the bashing is what it really actually could have been with the right capital infrastructure in the first place.
They had to dump so much taxpayers money to even get these box buildings off the ground to copy A or B.

Why not have real capital investments and let it evolve what it was really meant to evolve in.

One thing I have noticed is people will complain about ANYTHING that is built in Boston. We could dismantle the Chrysler Building block for block and rebuild it on the Winthrop garage plot and someone will complain that its outdated. This development is as good as it gets, better that I ever would have imagined. Be happy.

I'll eat a sock if there's ever a quarter of the amount of people shown in those renders wandering about on normal day.

I'll eat a sock if there's ever a quarter of the amount of people shown in those renders wandering about on normal day.

Have you been to the Seaport during the summer? I'm guessing you haven't, because it's that crowded all the time.

I do. It's one of my running routes. I don't think i've ever seen it that busy.

Maybe he needs more fibre in the diet.
Easily lost bet.

How much of that above-level greenery will get VE'd out?

I have a very good memory and in 5 years when I remember this Im going to take a picture for you. There already is a quarter of the amount of people walking around anyways, but Ill wait until this is done. I counted 17 people walking around in the first new rendering posted. 17/4 = 4.25, I'll round up thats 5 people. I want it on video.

DAAAAMN. People who bash the seaport when its mid construction are going to be feeling really dumb in a few years.

I can't imagine why people would bash a blank-slate neighborhood that has produced collection of mostly garbage-tier designs over the better part of two decades.

A few recent gems doesn't undo years and years of mediocrity and fundamentally broken methodologies that have, and will shape much of the area regardless of how awesome new buildings turn out.

I can't imagine why people would bash a blank-slate neighborhood that has produced collection of mostly garbage-tier designs over the better part of two decades.

A few recent gems doesn't undo years and years of mediocrity and fundamentally broken methodologies that have, and will shape much of the area regardless of how awesome new buildings turn out.

Ultimately it does. Most neighborhoods are made up of background buildings.
Granted, background buildings 80-100 years ago are of better quality, but they typically surround only a few items. Garbage level (waterside aside) is a tough statement to back up. Even 1MP, in retrospect with proper neighbors, is less garbage than it is serviceable background building.

A neighborhood of only gems, becomes eye jarring, and ultimately the sum is less than its parts.

Looks like a giant dresser with drawers sticking out of it.

Ultimately it does. Most neighborhoods are made up of background buildings.
Granted, background buildings 80-100 years ago are of better quality, but they typically surround only a few items. Garbage level (waterside aside) is a tough statement to back up. Even 1MP, in retrospect with proper neighbors, is less garbage than it is serviceable background building.

A neighborhood of only gems, becomes eye jarring, and ultimately the sum is less than its parts.

Exactly. And not for nothing, Boston is filled with "mediocrity and fundamentally broken methodologies" and that is not even counting the brutalism structures destroying all life around them to this day.

Minor work continues on this site the past couple of days. Probably a dozen contractor pickup trucks have been parked at the site and from a distance you can see several folks on the inside of Anthony's.

Hard to believe they just don't get going on major construction...at least demo of the old site...!

The best part of living there will be the opportunity to just slip outside your unit, and dive into the harbor to search for lost, sunken treasures from the former Anthony's Pier 4/S.S. Peter Stuyvesant gift shop, which sank in the Blizzard of '78....the youth among you have no idea what I'm talking about. But maybe, there are pictures "floating around" somewhere out there to show you.....

The best part of living there will be the opportunity to just slip outside your unit, and dive into the harbor to search for lost, sunken treasures from the former Anthony's Pier 4/S.S. Peter Stuyvesant gift shop, which sank in the Blizzard of '78....the youth among you have no idea what I'm talking about. But maybe, there are pictures "floating around" somewhere out there to show you.....

peter.jpg

10066414.jpg

10066394.jpg

Pretty sure the superstructure was stripped, so virtually everything you see in those pictures is gone.

The pictures remind me of Circle Line cruises I took around Manhattan Island in the 60's. Wrecks all along the East River (plus Polo Grounds, and other novelties).

Pretty sure the superstructure was stripped, so virtually everything you see in those pictures is gone.

The pictures remind me of Circle Line cruises I took around Manhattan Island in the 60's. Wrecks all along the East River (plus Polo Grounds, and other novelties).

Tobyjug -- not far off target -- the Peter Stuyvesant as its name would suggest was a Hudson River steamer -- really had very little authentic connections to Boston other than Anthony bought it for use as floating cocktail lounge

I posted about this in the Liberty Wharf thread last year...

Two buoys mark the site of the wreck; all that remains is the hull. I was there recently during a very low tide and you could actually make out the shadow of the hull on the bottom.

This is a decent nautical map of the harbor where you can find other wrecks as well.

Is site prep and building going to be simultaneous or phased for both office and residential?

Back