Pier 4 Condo Building (Former Anthony's site) | Seaport

Re: Pier 4 Commercial-Condo Building (Former Anthony's site) | Seaport

latest

10 years from now, you can sell that image for some serious cash.

TYPE -- you need that "Closed for Season" pix from the BBJ slide set -- that's the one with serious cash

Ahhh, good point!

Makes me a little sad, my grandfather passed away a few years ago and he used to bring the family together here annually.

My father tried that with Boston Garden photos. He has a book of pictures taken when they were bringing down the place, but nobody wanted to buy them.

Makes me a little sad, my grandfather passed away a few years ago and he used to bring the family together here annually.

Jouhou -- there was a whole generation of students [from circa 1965 until about 2000] who subsisted on the Popovers that were distributed even if you looked like you might just be there for the Popovers

Anthony%2527s%2BPier%2B4%2B015.JPG

this was especially valuable for the students who hung around during the weeks the U's were closed
http://wror.com/2016/03/30/save-the-popovers-anthonys-pier-4-building-demod-jaybeau/
Save the Popovers! Farewell to the Anthony's Pier 4 Building-Jaybeau.....Then, the meal came. A waiter with a GIANT basket of freshly baked, hot popovers were placed on my plate. My Dad could not over sell it on the ride in from Worcester. The baked good from Heaven melted in my little mouth. "Was it dessert or bread? This is how this awesome lunch starts in this amazing city? We just sat down!" I said. Dad was all smiles and said, "was I right?"
img_7446.jpg

Makes me hungry just looking at them :D

https://zestforcooking.com/2015/10/15/popovers/
Zest_for_Cooking wrote:
I have an interesting past with popovers. My sister and I spent a summer during our college years, working as popover girls for the Cape Cod location of Anthony’s Pier 4 Restaurant. We delivered popovers in a big wicker basket to each table, and with tongs we served every customer a hot, steamy popover. Popovers are not served very often in my house, but they are easy to make, and for me a reminder of those fun summer days. Popovers happen to be a favorite food of my 99 year old grandmother. She thoroughly enjoyed this batch!

Ingredients for popovers

4 cups milk, warmed
8 eggs
4 cups flour
1 1/2 heaping tablespoons kosher salt
2 1/2 cups grated gruyere cheese (optional)
Equipment: Two 6-cup popover pans

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Put the empty popover pans in the oven to pre-heat- this is the secret to fantastic popovers! Gently warm the milk in a saucepan over low heat, and set aside. Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl, until frothy, and slowly whisk in the warmed milk, a little at a time, so you don’t cook the eggs. In a separate bowl sift the flour with the salt. Slowly add the dry mixture to the egg/milk mixture and gently combine until almost completely smooth,

Once the ingredients are combined remove the popover pan from the oven and spray with a non-stick vegetable oil (Pam:), While the batter is still slightly warm, fill each of the popover cups 3/4 full. Add 2 tablespoons of the cheese to each cup, if using. I didn’t use cheese and filled the popover cups to the rim.

Baking popovers

Bake for 50 minutes or until risen and golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve immediately. They are best served still steaming, with butter.

Source: BLT Steak (a copy of the recipe comes with the popovers)

img_7436-1.jpg

Now we return to the regularly scheduled program -- Mourning the Loss of Pier 4

Jouhou -- there was a whole generation of students [from circa 1965 until about 2000] who subsisted on the Popovers that were distributed even if you looked like you might just be there for the Popovers

this was especially valuable for the students who hung around during the weeks the U's were closed
http://wror.com/2016/03/30/save-the-popovers-anthonys-pier-4-building-demod-jaybeau/

img_7446.jpg

img_7436-1.jpg

Go to Pie in the Sky in Woods Hole if you want an exceptional popover.

PJ's Country House in Scituate still has a menu similar to the old Anthony's, and they have great Pop-overs.

http://pjscountryhouserestaurant.com/

It's like a restaurant frozen in time. It used to be a Howard Johnson's when 3A was the main route to the Cape. However, the food is amazingly good and consistent. On the weekends, they have music and a guy playing the piano like it's 1974. (Reminds me of that skit with Bill Murray on SNL)

https://vimeo.com/148990643

Bonus Points: It's a short walk from the Greenbush Commuter Rail Station on a nice day or evening. Only bad thing is that there is a short distance with no sidewalks on busy 3A, so take care! Anyway, it's a very fun and totally retro train trip from Boston.

So, we can tie this thread to "Transit and Infrastructure" topic! LOL

^^I went there last time I was back home in Scituate, and the popovers were fantastic. You're 100% right about it being frozen in time...it feels like a place from the 70s, but it's well-maintained and the food was great.

img_7446.jpg

img_7436-1.jpg

Living In downtown portsmouth I live within stumbling distance of "popovers on the square" which takes pride in their... popovers. With maple butter. They are good. However come to think of it my first popovers were in fact at Anthony's.

Pier%204%201.jpg

Pier%204%202.jpg

Pier%204%203.jpg

Pier%204%207.jpg

Posted on Universal Hub
Taking one last bite at Anthony's Pier 4
By adamg on Tue, 05/03/2016 - 4:18pm
Anthony's Pier 4 demolition nearly done
John Gage watched the last bits of Anthony's Pier 4 being torn down today. It's making way for a park to go with a luxury residential tower, of course.

John Gage
‏@foryourinfo1x
@universalhub @YourIslandPark
Old Anthony's site a memory now !
ChjPmWFU8AAJsl-.jpg

Will they be doing any pyle-driving to shore up the pier before construction begins, or is the pier sound?

Will they be doing any pyle-driving to shore up the pier before construction begins, or is the pier sound?

My layman's guess is they'll wrap most, if not all, of the pier in sheet piling, similar to what's being done at 50 liberty (see Beeline's photos there)

i hate this. what a dog.

Back