Pier 4 Office Building | 140 Northern Ave | Seaport

Re: Pier 4 Office Tower | 140 Northern Ave | Seaport

Per usual, jumping in with a comment that ignores any nuance introduced above you. If you want a cheerleading forum, go make one. This one is for discussion, and that's what's been happening.

I prefer the notch side vs the water side so lucky for me thats the side I get to see. Idk how everyone else feels but that side is fine.

Also like I posted before thats a damn good view for being a box in the seaport vs downtown. Some of these unassuming anywhere usa towers as a lot of people like to refer to them as are going to be incredible for the people who work inside of them. It doesnt show the condo tower but that wont change a whole lot from the top floor as this render seems to show, and really 3 sides of the tower will have good views unless your right next to the condo on the lower floors, but thats also a nice side of that building so not too bad either.

Pier4-corneroffice2-WEB-10-14.jpg

I don't really dislike anything particular about this building. If it were the only glass box going up in the Seaport I'd probably be pretty excited about it. It's the proliferation of glass boxes that is annoying.

Also like I posted before thats a damn good view for being a box in the seaport vs downtown. Some of these unassuming anywhere usa towers as a lot of people like to refer to them as are going to be incredible for the people who work inside of them.

Pier4-corneroffice2-WEB-10-14.jpg
Isn't this the main gripe people have who want better urban planning?
The few inside will love it, while those outside get to look at boring boxes.

I bet it's wonderful to live in Charles River Park, but that doesn't change that it's an urban catastrophe.

The Seaport isn't CR(a)P, but that's not enough. The people looking at the views from inside are not the target for the visual appeal and interaction of the exterior of the building. That's the unwashed masses outside who can't afford to ride the elevator in these places.

That's the unwashed masses outside who can't afford to ride the elevator in these places.

It's an office building. If you want to see inside, apply for a job there. If you get it, they'll even pay you to ride the elevator.

I bet it's wonderful to live in Charles River Park, but that doesn't change that it's an urban catastrophe.

That can change. GG and the 3 TD Garden Towers are a decent start. But 5 years out..... is the chance for Boston to reach the next level. ...Yes, it's time for a world class multi-use residential tower. The 13 stodgy obstructionists in the West End can be asked to kindly stop with this and let Boston rise.

Last edited:
The Seaport isn't CR(a)P, but that's not enough. The people looking at the views from inside are not the target for the visual appeal and interaction of the exterior of the building. That's the unwashed masses outside who can't afford to ride the elevator in these places.

It's an office building. If you want to see inside, apply for a job there. If you get it, they'll even pay you to ride the elevator.

I would suggest washing up before the interview though. :)

Isn't this the main gripe people have who want better urban planning?
The few inside will love it, while those outside get to look at boring boxes.

This is an office tower though. Its not a lottery pick affordable housing unit or ridiculously over priced luxury condo. Anybody can work here and see this or many of the other views from the other office towers in the seaport.

I agree in a way though to this particular building, I dont like the water facing side, but lucky enough for us the "masses" who dont own boats get to look at the nicer side. At least I like that side better.

Folks, since BeeLine took these photos (I think it was today this happened), they ripped out the acorn lamp posts and put in green nautical looking ones that look like the ones next to the 100 Pier 4 apartment building. Glad to see they are staying consistent.

Are the various creases and bump-outs actually being intentionally lit with upward facing lights from below or is the effect just due to the office lighting inside reflecting on the surfaces? Hope it's the former (it seems so) so that it looks at least a bit interesting.

Are the various creases and bump-outs actually being intentionally lit with upward facing lights from below or is the effect just due to the office lighting inside reflecting on the surfaces? Hope it's the former (it seems so) so that it looks at least a bit interesting.

Does look pretty good.

The gigantic shit lobby full of marble on the other hand.....

It's intentional--note that the uplighting exists above unlit/unfinished floors.

And I think the marble is garish too, but overall I'm satisfied with the result of the building, not bad.

I'd also like to call attention to the recessed bottom track of the glazing at the lobby. It totally disappears, which makes it look like the glass is resting gently on a perfectly continuous ground plane. This fulfills the promise of 'curtain wall', and costs money they didn't have to spend. No need to get fancy; these are the subtle kinds of moves I'm looking for when assessing quality.

Back