Pier 4 Office Building | 140 Northern Ave | Seaport

Re: Pier 4 Office Tower | 140 Northern Ave | Seaport

this would be perfect in place of the New Balance shoebox.

this would be perfect in place of the New Balance shoebox.

Lol I drove by that the other day with my brother in law and he was like what the hell is that that is hideous and I was like yea its like a cruise ship right and he was like I wanted to say shoe box but yea whatever they were going for didn't work out. I don't think its thaaaaat bad, but its not great either. Luckily right now its more stand-aloneish than it will be once the other buildings go up, so once its an entire complex it should be much better. Im hoping.

To me this building has one ugly side and one nicer side. I like the side with just the slit much better than the weird staggered side. Since I don't own a boat luckily thats the side I will see much more of. I think that side actually looks pretty good comparatively. Its good to see the step up effect from the water taking shape to break up the buzz cut. Thats the last saving grace we have along with the M-parcels for getting more of a spiked haircut fade vs a flat top.

This is going to have a damn good view for being a little unassuming box in the seaport.

Pier4-corneroffice2-WEB-10-14.jpg

Globe: Education publishing firm Cengage will move into new Pier 4 building

Cengage will move its corporate HQ (and entire Boston operation of 500 employees, plus 100 more to be hired) here from Channel Center down the street. It's taking 117k sf over five floors, which is slightly smaller than its current office.

With Cengage taking 117k sf and BCG taking 202k sf, this building's 370k sf are just about filled.

Both of these are intra-Boston moves, so they won't actually lead to positive net absorption on the whole. But it's good when established companies leave older space for shiny new buildings, as this opens up the older (cheaper) space for tenants whose pockets aren't quite as deep. This sort of "filtering" is frequently easier to see with office construction than it is with residential, but it's there in residential too.

dramatic urban realm.

Interesting to watch developers build the road network. Fan Pier has chosen to go with narrow streets with some shared space, while Seaport Square has pedestrian only spaces between blocks. This looks good, if somewhat wide.

Interesting to watch developers build the road network. Fan Pier has chosen to go with narrow streets with some shared space, while Seaport Square has pedestrian only spaces between blocks. This looks good, if somewhat wide.

One thing to consider with the road network is that they need to be wide enough to accommodate trucks that bring in supplies, food, etc. on a daily basis to the restaurants and other stores that will line the retail floor(s) and to the offices as well. In parts of the area where the streets are narrow, those darn trucks just end up taking a travel lane and stay there for quite a while to unload. There are also usually more trucks at a time than there are available service bays in the various buildings (not that I want more service bays.. they are generally ugly).

Lol I drove by that the other day with my brother in law and he was like what the hell is that that is hideous and I was like yea its like a cruise ship right and he was like I wanted to say shoe box but yea whatever they were going for didn't work out. I don't think its thaaaaat bad, but its not great either.

The thinking on this seems to have gone this way:. Let's put up a glass box, because they are trendy and cool. But wait, a box will be too boring so let's mix it up by staggering the floors. Cool! That should make it look not too boxy.

Actually it does look like a cruise ship. I was just on a Carnival cruise in the Carribean this last week, and you nailed this building.

Back