Pierce Boston (née The Point )| Boylston St/Brookline Av | Fenway

The outlets are upsidedown? There is no upsidedown. If you don't like the orientation, it takes about 3 minutes to flip it.

Yeah most of that comes across as someone who's never lived in a high-rise building before. Or even in a city, to be honest. Helicopters, seriously? Also, is he upset the doormen are doing their job? They will eventually learn who he is - it just takes some time.

The only thing that seems ridiculous is the key fob thing... how could it possibly take 4 swipes? I can think of 3: building front door, elevator, apartment front door. Where would the 4th even be?

Yeah most of that comes across as someone who's never lived in a high-rise building before. Or even in a city, to be honest. Helicopters, seriously? Also, is he upset the doormen are doing their job? They will eventually learn who he is - it just takes some time.

The only thing that seems ridiculous is the key fob thing... how could it possibly take 4 swipes? I can think of 3: building front door, elevator, apartment front door. Where would the 4th even be?

Depending on the lobby layout could be a double front door system. One side of my building has that (First door leads to a shared lobby space also used by commercial tenants, second door to the condo lobby).

Haha..thanks for the laughs. Most of the notes are pretty dumb, but I see the following legit items:

- noise coming in from outside indicates poor quality windows. I would be upset at that as well if the developer didn’t go with the good stuff.
- fan noise in the bathroom. That would get annoying as well. True high-end building have passive air venting systems that are completely quiet.

Some comments on some of the rest:
- the electrical outlet orientation is interesting. I’ve heard that several new buildings are doing that now. I don’t know what the rationale is, but I heard it was related to safety. *shrug*
- not uncommon for new units to not have ceiling lights installed. The idea is that everyone probably has their own design and layout that they may want to implement. Same with built ins, storage and closets. A lot of these places are like shells that are meant to be customized to at least some degree even if already fully move in ready with the necessities. Heck, my powder room didn’t even come with a mirror installed.

This sounds like some young rich kid with Mommy and Daddy's money that drives around in a new Mercedes AMG at about 100mph thru the city, most city folk know exactly the type I'm talking about

- noise coming in from outside indicates poor quality windows. I would be upset at that as well if the developer didn’t go with the good stuff.

I have high quality windows in my place and there's a limit to their noise dampening ability. They block all the white noise but really loud stuff like helicopters and sirens can still make it through (though much quieter). If he could hear day to day noises like cars driving and people talking that would be one thing, but to complain about a helicopter makes it obvious he's never lived in an urban area.

- the electrical outlet orientation is interesting. I’ve heard that several new buildings are doing that now. I don’t know what the rationale is, but I heard it was related to safety. *shrug*

I read at some point that if some metal were to fall down the wall it would hit the ground rather than the current, but that seems like long odds. Either way, it's not like it's difficult (or costly if you're clueless) to flip them.

I read at some point that if some metal were to fall down the wall it would hit the ground rather than the current, but that seems like long odds. Either way, it's not like it's difficult (or costly if you're clueless) to flip them.

My outlets are all ground top-side (10 year old construction -- seems to be pretty standard now).

I have plug-in air fresheners and nightlights that allow the electrical base to rotate so they accommodate this difference.

If he's complaining about everyday noise, just wait until the summer concert series kicks off up the street. I used to be able to hear shows at Fenway from the Northeastern campus if conditions were right. This guy's gonna have a time.

Fan noise can also be intentional, to mask any other activities going on in the bathroom. That only makes sense if it is adjacent to a public space.

But generally, it sounds like this guy is really miffed about his perception that he paid too much.

Haha..thanks for the laughs. Most of the notes are pretty dumb, but I see the following legit items:

- fan noise in the bathroom. That would get annoying as well. True high-end building have passive air venting systems that are completely quiet.

Some comments on some of the rest:
- not uncommon for new units to not have ceiling lights installed. The idea is that everyone probably has their own design and layout that they may want to implement. Same with built ins, storage and closets. A lot of these places are like shells that are meant to be customized to at least some degree even if already fully move in ready with the necessities. Heck, my powder room didn’t even come with a mirror installed.

I have high quality windows in my place and there's a limit to their noise dampening ability. They block all the white noise but really loud stuff like helicopters and sirens can still make it through (though much quieter). If he could hear day to day noises like cars driving and people talking that would be one thing, but to complain about a helicopter makes it obvious he's never lived in an urban area.

Yes true, good point. I was thinking about everyday typical noise when I responded. But yes, things like helicopters and horns/sirens would be heard regardless and I don't know why that would come as any surprise.

If the guy is on a low floor and the sound insulation was not done properly, that is too bad. That is a selling point in NYC apartments these days - absolute quiet. In my place you hear very little unless you open the windows. I am ~600 feet up, but poor sound insulation can't block road noise and sirens at any height. Plus when you are up high, you hear a cacophonous hum of rooftop HVAC units - that constant din gets annoying if you are not insulated from it.

I am surprised his power outlets do not have USB ports. Seems pretty standard these days.

Perhaps he bought his unit sight unseen / pre-construction?

This sounds like some young rich kid with Mommy and Daddy's money that drives around in a new Mercedes AMG at about 100mph thru the city, most city folk know exactly the type I'm talking about

I believe the clinical term is asswipe, and I believe your diagnosis is accurate.

The entire Reddit post is a humorous object-lesson on the way that wealth shelters some from the necessity of awareness of the wider world, and the shocking and sad results when money doesn't actually buy happiness.

If the guy is on a low floor and the sound insulation was not done properly, that is too bad. That is a selling point in NYC apartments these days - absolute quiet. In my place you hear very little unless you open the windows. I am ~600 feet up, but poor sound insulation can't block road noise and sirens at any height. Plus when you are up high, you hear a cacophonous hum of rooftop HVAC units - that constant din gets annoying if you are not insulated from it.

In tall buildings in Allston, my experience has been that people on the top floors hear concerts and bands practicing, while the lower floors are insulated by the 2 and 3 story buildings around them. The Pierce is on a busy street, so I'm sure the lower floors get lots of street traffic and the high floors hear everything that happens at Fenway Park.

Perhaps he bought his unit sight unseen / pre-construction?

Most definitely. The Pierce sold out midway through building construction. And his complaints most definitely reflect someone who wanted to buy new construction and expected it to be perfect on day one since it was "new".

Fan noise can also be intentional, to mask any other activities going on in the bathroom. That only makes sense if it is adjacent to a public space.

That was my thought. Presumably you don't want your dinner party guests to hear plops or grunts as you squeeze a couple out that have the consistency of cement while they bite into their beef stroganoff.

I live in a big glass box, with lots of open air around (relatively speaking, in Hudson Yards) and I hear nothing unless I open the windows. Although I am on a high floor, in my old building (also a high floor), I still heard a decent amount of noise. The level of quiet is a big selling / promotional point in high quality new buildings. it makes me wonder what the quality of insulation, etc. at the Pierce.

In tall buildings in Allston, my experience has been that people on the top floors hear concerts and bands practicing, while the lower floors are insulated by the 2 and 3 story buildings around them. The Pierce is on a busy street, so I'm sure the lower floors get lots of street traffic and the high floors hear everything that happens at Fenway Park.

Last edited:

Back