Pierce Boston (née The Point )| Boylston St/Brookline Av | Fenway

Is the top supposed to look hideous?

Yup ... the client called the designer and said, "this place would sell better if we just stopped designing everything over the roof deck and made it feel like a Big Dig vent shaft ... they will love it!"

Mission accomplished.

cca

The problem for me is not the black part at the top. It's that they chose to highlight the entire awkward crown with the white trim! If they weren't going to do the gradients, they should have just stuck to either white or gray, not both. The white going all the way across the top looks ridiculous with the gray below it.

I'll reserve final judgement until I see this in person later in the year, but from all the recent pics, the detailing looks like what you see on the cheap, faceless filler Shanghai and Beijing throw up every day. The white border along the crown is the kicker.

Renders the top of the tower nearly invisible not to mention stupid ugly. :banghead:

Oh, how you grind and gnash your teeth and wail in the night. You should be thankful you don't the horrifying blank wall disease we have in NYC due to all the air-rights BS. Instead of a lousy roof top, imagine 600 feet of concrete and no widows.

Yeah but those are normally built with the idea that another tower will be built next to it.

You should be thankful you don't the horrifying blank wall disease we have in NYC....

We do have 45 Province overlooking the common. Boston is lucky it doesn't have the quantity of blank walls, but that's among the worst examples of it in the entire country!

Not when you factor in location, plus the likelihood that it will never be blocked by something else.

Its still the law. The building follows the law. What else do you imagine was going to happen?

The law protects the adjacent properties legal development rights, physical protection, and sets up clear expectations of what may happen in the future. The owner knew that this would be the result when they bought a zero lot line property.

I still don't get why everyone is so upset ... its the natural result of the legal constraints of building in an urban environment. It ain't the suburbs where every side of the building is the front.

cca

Ideally it would have been nice if the developer dipped into their profits a bit to give the architects a bit more of a budget to come up with a more appealing solution than a giant grey slab.

Its still the law. The building follows the law. What else do you imagine was going to happen?

The law protects the adjacent properties legal development rights, physical protection, and sets up clear expectations of what may happen in the future. The owner knew that this would be the result when they bought a zero lot line property.

I still don't get why everyone is so upset ... its the natural result of the legal constraints of building in an urban environment. It ain't the suburbs where every side of the building is the front.

cca

Hummm.... 45 Province's blank wall is on the alley, Chapman Place. it is not on a property line. There is no abutting property to protect. What law forced the blank wall on an alley?

picture.php

That render was also before they decided to divide the roof into sections and sell each section separately.

These are old renders before they added the 7 extra floors.

But they still had this post 7 extra floors:

trHxliEh.jpg

That render was also before they decided to divide the roof into sections and sell each section separately.

Those cabanas seem awfully close to the mechanicals. I think people paid 6 figures to have a place to listen to the A/C when the weather is nice.

I hope the height fanboys learnt their lessons here

^^Meh. This isn't Brookline. Planners allowed a highrise on a nice corner in an American city close to it's main medical campus near it's dense core. The neighborhood might have seen a 1/2 dozen of these rise some time ago–if Fenway Park wasn't treated as a sacred zone, nimby's weren't unreasonable *(45 Worthington), and Boston's tech kept its steady growth ~25 years ago.

Back