Plan Nubian Square Parcel P-3 (née Tremont Crossing) | Roxbury

With all due respect, what exactly is Tito & company's opposition? Is it simply not enough affordable housing? Gentrification of the neighborhood? I may be incredibly naive, but it wasn't that long ago that this was an extremely dangerous area. The rank and file of the community should certainly desire for safe streets, and this project would most certainly advance that.

I'm with you, I certainly just don't get it.

Additionally, why do people feel the need to complain about everything? It's like they hate anything new. There's a lot of development where I live in Boston and while I'm not in love with all of it I would never think of going into a tirade over it...like eh oh well maybe it will be nice and move on. If I lived nearby this project I would be delighted.

What? Low-income housing is always replaced 1-for-1 plus market rate units in all redevelopment schemes across the city.

Yes. In this case all current affordable housing will be replaced/rebuilt. In Charlestown, the net amount of affordable units is increasing with the One Charlestown development.

Yes. In this case all current affordable housing will be replaced/rebuilt. In Charlestown, the net amount of affordable units is increasing with the One Charlestown development.

One Charlestown low income portion is not being increased, it's being replaced with the same number that is currently there now while also constructing the same amount of market rate units therefore doubling current unit count / density.

I think people are confusing low income units with affordable units. Affordable has a minimum baseline that can be flexed once they exceed the limit based on height concessions etc while low income must be maintained.

With all due respect, what exactly is Tito & company's opposition? Is it simply not enough affordable housing? Gentrification of the neighborhood? I may be incredibly naive, but it wasn't that long ago that this was an extremely dangerous area. The rank and file of the community should certainly desire for safe streets, and this project would most certainly advance that.

Worries about more students filling the neighborhoods, gentrification, too much greed, not enough community concessions, outreach, education and union training, minority construction workers – and of course, affordable units. There is tremendous mistrust by neighbors, not enough affordability for tenants..... and to be fair, Tito has to deal with all these realities daily. ...But, he's pushing the neighbor vs neighbor theme, overplaying his hand. We/someone/me/you should dig up the transcript and post.

Additionally, why do people feel the need to complain about everything? It's like they hate anything new. There's a lot of development where I live in Boston and while I'm not in love with all of it I would never think of going into a tirade over it...like eh oh well maybe it will be nice and move on. If I lived nearby this project I would be delighted.

A few young people were unhinged, berating development with a broad brush.

A lot of respected community leaders do in fact, get it. So much of their testimony was not only brilliantly formed, but heartfelt. It really worked to counter those who've lost their grip on reality, and prevented the agenda from being tabled.... There were only a few young people who spoke in support. If all goes as planned, the museum should become an access point of significant community pride. As well it should.

No one including me should just walk away from the testimony in opposition. A lot of valid points about the state of Roxbury were made. But this project isn't going to be making those problems worse. No way. One example is that promises were made that students will not be living there. At least, that's the plan.

Last edited:
What is young people? Students? Transient renters? Unless you own in a neighborhood which I doubt they do go get a job and stfu about it.

One Charlestown low income portion is not being increased, it's being replaced with the same number that is currently there now while also constructing the same amount of market rate units therefore doubling current unit count / density.

there are 1100 BHA units. they are replacing those and adding 2100 market rate units. So just short of tripling density. Its also an approximate 25% increase in the number of Charlestown households.

Somewhere in there they are providing senior housing (not market rate). I dont remember if the senior component is included in the 1100 or if it is in addition (which would make Reznor correct that there is an increase). I believe however, the senior housing is a component of the 1100 units so the units will be replaced 1 to 1 like all other BHA redevelopment projects.

there are 1100 BHA units. they are replacing those and adding 2100 market rate units. So just short of tripling density. Its also an approximate 25% increase in the number of Charlestown households.

Somewhere in there they are providing senior housing (not market rate). I dont remember if the senior component is included in the 1100 or if it is in addition (which would make Reznor correct that there is an increase). I believe however, the senior housing is a component of the 1100 units so the units will be replaced 1 to 1 like all other BHA redevelopment projects.

Wow you're right...triple density? Didn't realize that. Seems like they'll have to come down on the unit count though based on neighborhood sentiment.

What is young people? Students? Transient renters? Unless you own in a neighborhood which I doubt they do go get a job and stfu about it.

Young black residents, rasta's, hipsters, hippies.....

and a few none-of-the-above mental defectives just there to see if anyone had weed.

Yes, I only want to hear from people who bought a condo in the area a couple years ago, preferably people who had mommy and daddy pay for the down payment. As for people who have rented in the area their entire lives? Get lost. If they are showing up at a meeting at 7PM then they clearly don't have a day job.

/s

Yes, I only want to hear from people who bought a condo in the area a couple years ago, preferably people who had mommy and daddy pay for the down payment. As for people who have rented in the area their entire lives? Get lost. If they are showing up at a meeting at 7PM then they clearly don't have a day job.

/s

I wish I could protest against protesting...

hey guys look someone who wants to actually invest in our neighborhood but since I can't personally afford to live there the city isn't trustworthy and should stop at it once.

That's what's happening...it's actually amazing that the people quoted from the proejects are for this development.

If I took this mentality then I would be blue in face screaming about pretty much every building that's gone up in this town in the last 5 years...

Young black residents, rasta's, hipsters, hippies.....

and a few none-of-the-above mental defectives just there to see if anyone had weed.

More middle class residents, whether black, white or Hispanic leads to demands for better police protection which tends to break up the turf of local criminals.

This area has more than its share of public housing.

Tito Jackon lacks both intelligence and vision. For that matter, so does Marty Walsh - but he's got much more political power, so he'd going nowhere. Jackson is a little more than a run-of-the-mill, ambitious hack, and has little to offer beyond playing pretend at the role of a firebrand, muckraking and capitalizing on misplaced neighborhood anger. Luckily, he stands little chance of going any further. Unfortunately, that means we're stuck with another entrenched, middle-of-the-road, bland mayor of the usual Boston Irish political class, standard issue.

The simple truth is that Boston's mayor is just not that powerful. The city is clannish and the tradition for the last 125-odd years is one of different groups pitted against each other. So, the only compromise is a mediocre candidate who won't stray too far from business as usual, leaving the city in the same banal trajectory it's always been in.

I'm with you, I certainly just don't get it.

It's tradition, and the zeitgeist is to bitch and moan and blame everyone else rather than think constructively. The city, state and country all lack vision. You can't have your cake and eat it too: you can't just keep your little neighborhood unchanged, AND have housing stay affordable, AND keep new blood and money and business flowing in. Those oppose each other, and something's gotta give. Like our mayor, the end result with most of our projects is a watered-down blob that satisfies nobody.

"Roxbury’s Tremont Crossing to move forward: 728 apartments, 1.9 million feet"

http://boston.curbed.com/2017/3/3/14798894/boston-real-estate-tremont-crossing-roxbury

tremontcrossing.0.jpg

That's too cheery of a rendering. There will never be THAT many people there. And those second level promenades, what is this 1960s brutalist town centres?

The left side escalator reminds me of Pompidou Center.

I was getting that same feeling DZH... something about the first two levels also makes me think of what you would get if you crossed Brutalism with High-tech style late modernism. Tbh I kind of like it even if it is a weird sort of throwback.

Definitely a weird choice of decisions here but 728 apartments is huge.

Back