Plan Nubian Square Parcel P-3 (née Tremont Crossing) | Roxbury

That's too cheery of a rendering. There will never be THAT many people there. And those second level promenades, what is this 1960s brutalist town centres?

Eh, don't be so sure. There are going to be 1500-2000 people living there. Add in the crowd from BJs and the potential movie theater, I suspect it could be quite lively at certain times of day.

As for the design, yeah, I see your point, but at the same time, like somebody else said, it's got a bit of that Pompidou vibe. Boston has plenty of brutalism, so it is contextual in that sense, and throw in some funkiness to go with the museum? I could see that working pretty well.

Also Northeastern students would use the shopping center and movie theaters, if they do in fact materialize.

Last edited:
This was reduced by unhinged urban psycho's and 1 former dimwit councilor to 284' + 254' of squat infill at a large transit hub in a major US city.....

We have this amazing thread that is stickied at the top of the page. Use it.

what are you -- a cop?

Type project name into google and click news when the results come up. If there was any news, someone would have posted it.

PRC/IAG slides from last week:

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/2da009a3-6a42-4148-aefe-c8098dca1759

They've locked in a few tenants... we knew about the cinema, but I don't think we knew about Brooklyn Boulders. With Northeastern nearby, a rock gym seems like a valuable add. The detail view also has some logos they don't acknowledge: DSW, PetSmart, Aldi, Forever21, and I think Bob's Discount Furniture.

I see that this program is back on once more. Are they sure this time?!!

PRC/IAG slides from last week:

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/2da009a3-6a42-4148-aefe-c8098dca1759

They've locked in a few tenants... we knew about the cinema, but I don't think we knew about Brooklyn Boulders. With Northeastern nearby, a rock gym seems like a valuable add. The detail view also has some logos they don't acknowledge: DSW, PetSmart, Aldi, Forever21, and I think Bob's Discount Furniture.

nhpAekDh.png

zQhIfCkh.png

EWjvQzrh.png

Vyx2Xpeh.png

kN4ilDph.png

gRKump8h.png

kTzsE7ch.png

aqHKegXh.png

emjcII5h.png

Thanks DD..... This is absolutely fantastic.

Roxbury rising Boston style (more horizontally than vertically)!!

I'm sick of the trend of chopping a few floors and adding it back in width. That first picture in particular is just such an oppressive, overbearing wall of a building. It's probably the worst example of this across all of Boston, including the walls in Assembly Square, the cubes in the Seaport, the giant labs in Kendall, and the giant hospitals in Longwood. This is the worst and one more humongous barrier to sunlight and permeability in the city. I very much wanted to like this project, but I very much don't.

A lack of negotiating creativity and aplomb caused that to happen.

That said, the developer will build goodwill in the community with this project

....and down the road, good things can happen.

This is a really terrible site plan.

The parking garage is in the back... next the ball fields? This should be a prime townhouse location. Put the garage in the middle of the site surrounded by the townhouses and under the towers.

The retail design confuses me. It looks like some event space with multiple levels. This isn't necessarily bad but given that this is mid block and not near the main pedestrian entrance point closer to Ruggles makes me wonder just how successful this will be.

The worst part is that it does nothing to solve the legacy of the superblock. All the activation is internal, they want their own little private city away from all the poor people. Walling the development off like this only makes things worse for the community, especially when you are trying to attract them with these discount box stores (which will probably do very well here).

It looks like a mall with tower on top. If this was a retrofit of a suburban mall then I'd accept it. But this is a blank canvas.

^ That seems harsh. They're packing and layering a ton of retail into a small footprint. It can't all face Tremont - though in fact the small storefronts mostly do. And what doesn't face Tremont seems to open up to it nicely. I also don't know how you would prefer the garage to be situated. Where it is it has the most minimal impact on Tremont and allows for the larger retail footprints.

Hopefully Tremont itself gets an upgrade - away with the jersey barriers and too many car lanes.

Given Northeastern's space crunch I wonder will they lease the office space in this complex?

I think April makes sense. From the deck of slides datadyne posted a few months back, I seem to remember a few slides that addressed timeline, including mention of a water/sewer main relocation through the site that needed to be approved by BWSC for work by last October. I haven't seen any utility prep work out there since then, so maybe they missed their construction window after getting the approval?

I was at the IAG/community meeting in October and it was SURPRISINGLY positive. Lots of business owners of colour who were expressing excitement and thanks for being involved in the project, folks looking forward to the project bringing jobs and the NCAAA museum, not one concern or complaint about 'luxury housing' at this site driving up adjacent area rents. As I understand, the developer is also chipping in for the Whittier Choice/some parts of the Whittier Neighbourhood Transformation Plan, so that may have helped to mitigate the affordable housing NIMBY concerns here. It was a very feel-good meeting for the ages.

Back