Plan Nubian Square Parcel P-3 (née Tremont Crossing) | Roxbury

Re: Tremont Crossing in Roxbury

So if this is approved and the Regal theater goes in, Boston will have 6 theaters to choose from = is this too much?

AMC - Sommerville
AMC - South Bay Expansion (whatever they are calling it)
Lowes- Boston Common
Regal - Fenway
icon theater - Seaport

^yes it is.... but youre forgetting about at least 1 in the garden development

^yes it is.... but youre forgetting about at least 1 in the garden development

ArcLight - Hub on Causeway

Also, no, it's not too much. Instead of having to use the T to get to movie theaters, people will be able to just walk to them. Along with all these theaters are MASSIVE amounts of new housing.

There is a market for more movie theaters. The new theater model is for fewer seats per screen, and more large format projection offerings (IMAX, RPX, DBox, etc.). Between Regal Fenway losings its two largest screens to the eventual redevelopment of Landmark Center and slashing their current inventory in half with new La-Z-boy style seats, Fenway/Roxbury/Mission Hill needs the theater.

AMC Boston Common is due to get the La-Z-Boy treatment, too. And Assembly Row is very frequently sold out of showings even on week nights. I'm looking forward to the new screens coming to town:

- ArcLight at the Hub on Causeway
- Showplace Icon at Seaport Square
- AMC at South Bay Town Center
- Regal at Tremont Crossing
- Coolidge Theater expansion (1 or 2 screens IIRC)

What would be really tremendous is if one of these new theaters featured a real IMAX screen with Laser projection capability (like Jordans IMAX in Reading).

AMC Boston Common is due to get the La-Z-Boy treatment, too.

Do you know this for a fact? Or do you think that it is going that way?

They don't seem to have any problem selling seats now, and I don't know that they would want per screen revenue to go down just to get the latest style of seating.

Looks like that Southwest Corridor TOD that's supposed to help ease Boston's housing woes is starting to become a thing.

JamaicaPlain News has a couple excellent articles on recent developments, both planned and under construction:
Forest Hills and South Huntington Ave (warning, the A Choo project may make you violently ill...)
http://www.jamaicaplainnews.com/201...maica-plain-developments-coming-in-2016/16652

Jackson Square:
http://www.jamaicaplainnews.com/201...ould-bring-mit-style-architecture-to-jp/15470

Now, if we can only get the MBTA to move the Arborway Yards bus facility someplace else like the corner of Morton St and American Legion Highway.

I would love for the downtown AMC to simply start doing reserved seating like Assembly does. I'd also love for them to upgrade their food options, but that's a whole other issue. As it is now, I don't go to the movies very much anyway because it's expensive, you have to stake out a seat early, food is expensive and crappy, and the other patrons are annoying. Watching at home is so much more pleasant for so many reasons.

Regarding AMC Boston Common:

Do you know this for a fact? Or do you think that it is going that way?

A couple years ago AMC announced they were spending $600 million to upgrade to recliner seats nationwide. Per the article:

... between 50 percent and 70 percent of seats in a given theater will be removed to make room for the larger chairs. AMC estimates that the renovations will cost between $350,000 and $500,000 per theater, with 1,800 of its nearly 5,000 auditoriums targeted for the upgrades, which will be carried out over the next five years.

According to AMC, attendance in the theaters that have already been updated has jumped an average of 80 percent, despite having fewer seats, although the exhibitor declined to give any further breakdown...

Is it fact that they're updating the AMC Boston Common seats, too? No. It's an educated guess based on the article. However, they'd be careless not to given the increased competition from new theaters around Boston as we've discussed. To quote my economics professor, "Adapt or die."

Northeastern's International Village will not be so isolated when/if this is built.

JamaicaPlain News has a couple excellent articles on recent developments, both planned and under construction:
Forest Hills and South Huntington Ave (warning, the A Choo project may make you violently ill...)
http://www.jamaicaplainnews.com/201...maica-plain-developments-coming-in-2016/16652

Jackson Square:
http://www.jamaicaplainnews.com/201...ould-bring-mit-style-architecture-to-jp/15470

Now, if we can only get the MBTA to move the Arborway Yards bus facility someplace else like the corner of Morton St and American Legion Highway.

Nice articles.

But Im sorry, the relocation of the Arborway Yard deeper into Roxbury, now that JP is getting rich and yuppified, is utterly criminal. The only person who had any clout who opposed was Yancey, who unfortunately is now out. Im not saying the yard has to stay where it is, but it's bullshit how easily presumed it was that JP can just punt their polluting eyesore down into Mattapan. And, like the article outlines below, without anybody even bothering to give two fucks about informing/asking/questioning the opinions of people who would be affected by the move.

http://www.jamaicaplainnews.com/201...-yancey-rozzie-residents-say-not-so-fast/1687

Nice articles.

But Im sorry, the relocation of the Arborway Yard deeper into Roxbury, now that JP is getting rich and yuppified, is utterly criminal. The only person who had any clout who opposed was Yancey, who unfortunately is now out. Im not saying the yard has to stay where it is, but it's bullshit how easily presumed it was that JP can just punt their polluting eyesore down into Mattapan. And, like the article outlines below, without anybody even bothering to give two fucks about informing/asking/questioning the opinions of people who would be affected by the move.

http://www.jamaicaplainnews.com/201...-yancey-rozzie-residents-say-not-so-fast/1687

Well, geez. Considering that this was a very loose diagrammatic proposal created by one person it shouldn't be surprising that the NIMBY crowd is against it. After all the guy who proposed this didn't come groveling to Yancey when the thought first popped into his head, therefore King Yancey couldn't claim it and didn't approve. There is sufficient undeveloped land along the American Legion Highway that this could work with enough landscaped buffer so that it could almost disappear.
The MBTA will never spend the money to build the "permanent" Arborway Yard facility that they agreed to with the JP Arborway yard group. So why not move it where it can be built for so much less and open up prime TOD land (the T could sell it for a profit even after re mediating the land).

But Im sorry, the relocation of the Arborway Yard deeper into Roxbury, now that JP is getting rich and yuppified, is utterly criminal.[/url]

Not getting into the JP/Roxbury debate, for me the really criminal thing is to have that wasted space next to a T stop. I would love to see a duplicate of the construction happening just now across the street, so the city starts to move in the direction of high density residential spaces in areas with great access to public transportation.

Well, geez. Considering that this was a very loose diagrammatic proposal created by one person it shouldn't be surprising that the NIMBY crowd is against it. After all the guy who proposed this didn't come groveling to Yancey when the thought first popped into his head, therefore King Yancey couldn't claim it and didn't approve. There is sufficient undeveloped land along the American Legion Highway that this could work with enough landscaped buffer so that it could almost disappear.
The MBTA will never spend the money to build the "permanent" Arborway Yard facility that they agreed to with the JP Arborway yard group. So why not move it where it can be built for so much less and open up prime TOD land (the T could sell it for a profit even after re mediating the land).

Sorry: you don't just get to fling the appellation of "NIMBY" on anyone who opposes anything or opposes things you'd happen to like to see. Yancey was another typical Boston pol and perhaps his motives in opposing this were not pure, but nonetheless he represents a district of people and their concerns are not rendered invalid simply because you believe in certain urban design principles near train stations. If anyone on this board lives in the immediate vicinity of the proposed relocation, please feel free to speak up on your opinion on this... I would be surprised if any neighbors want this moved to their neck of the woods. This is more than just the site - there's gonna be a shit ton of buses driving around wherever this is. Etc etc etc. Tell me what you want about mitigation but nobody is going to actually want to live near something like this, and if you think that urban design principles override what the neighborhoods want then you aren't any better than Edward Logue.

For full disclosure, I live in JP and have for years. The arborway yard is a terrible use of space and I fully support finding another location - but only if that is actually done with support of the neighborhood where it's going. It's mainly just sad the the irony of the fact that only does the idea of relocation gain any traction (yes, well aware of agreements made years ago but only recently has it become a likelihood) when the neighborhood becomes gentrified. I don't think it's ok to simply move undesirable municipal sites from wealthier neighborhoods to poorer ones simply out of convenience, and it's very important to recognize the limited political power wielded by the receiving neighborhood. It is not without coincidence that the city landfill was right next to the Columbia point housing projects for years.

You know what would be an awesome restaurant to set up shop here? IHOP.

I think it is just not visible from that angle considering it would be behind the residential from that angle because it is set back from the other buildings. I hope it isn't gone.

"A second apartment tower replaces 850 dorms"

Oh somehow I managed to miss that. That is disappointing but at least they didn't totally cut the units and just shifted them from student housing to apartments.

Tons of of new renders on BBJ - see here.

"It may be different than any project in Boston," said BCDC member William Rawn, who is also founding principal of William Rawn Associates Architects Inc. in Boston. "There's an ambition here that's different from most projects." However, some of the BCDC commissioners on Tuesday evening expressed concern that the project would be "an island" of development that doesn't necessarily relate to its surroundings. "The scale is, I think, very disparate to the neighborhood character," said David Hacin, a BCDC member and president of Hacin + Associates.

Ugh... God forbid something doesnt perfectly and seemlessly relate to everything next to it in Boston... They'll chop this thing to pieces with their "out of context" garbage.

1-tremont-crossing-central-market-street-plaza-view-from-tremont-street.png

2-tremont-crossing-residential-lobby-and-plaza-corner-of-tremont-and-whittier.png

3-tremont-crossing-looking-east-down-tremont-street.png

4-hotel-entry-view-from-tremont.png

5-tremont-crossing-overhead-view-looking-south.png

55-tremont-crossing-overhead-view-looking-east.png

6-tremont-crossing-market-place-plaza-perspective.png

7-tremont-crossing-market-street-looking-south.png

8-tremont-crossing-market-street-and-plaza-perspective-from-tremont-street.png

Last edited:

Back