Plan Nubian Square Parcel P-3 (née Tremont Crossing) | Roxbury

Re: Tremont Crossing in Roxbury

It really wouldn't be an island of development, anyway... Northeastern right across the street, and then you've got the development down by Roxbury Crossing (as well as the athletic field for Wentworth), and some moderate height on Melnea Cass, and possibly even Dudley, coming online in a couple years as well. Hopefully something bigger will replace the projects next door by the church as well. And then, lastly, there's the projects between Prentiss and Ruggles that are ripe for redevelopment and hopefully don't succumb to the hideous low rise banality of what replaced Mission Main...

At any rate, this area is a dead zone and a dense little cluster of high rises will really improve that, as long as engagement with and connections to the rest of the area are done well and it doesn't end up being like those horrid condominiums off Rt 2 by Alewife.

From 3/6 Will it be in either of these shots?

It _would_ appear in another photo you took in the GrandMarc Residence Hall thread.

RFgvA4D.jpg

I think the international village buildings are a bit over 270 ft, so the Tremont Crossing would appear behind them at 365 feet.

Last edited:
This project was just featured on Channel 5. They didn't report any "new" information, but anyone know what would prompt this to be in the news months later?

TREMONT CROSSING (PARCEL P-3) PROJECT REVIEW COMMITTEE MEETING

JUL 28, 2016 | 6:15 PM - 7:45 PM

Contact Name: Dana Whiteside
Contact Email Address: Dana.Whiteside@Boston.gov
Contact Phone: 617.918.4441
Type: Project Review Committee (PRC)

2315 Washington St
Roxbury, MA 02119

Description:
Project Review Committee (PRC) meeting for discussion regarding the Tremont Crossing (P-3) development.

P3 Partners LLC proposes to revise the original project to a mixed-use project totaling approximately 1,928,400 sf. including retail, art, educational, office, hotel, residential, and an above ground parking structure of 548,700 sf.

The meeting of July 28 will be the sixth in a series of Project Review Committee meetings and the agenda will be a follow-up to the meeting of June 23. The Project Review Committee serves as the Impact Advisory Group (IAG) for large projects under Article 80. IAG’s serve to review project impacts and make recommendations for proposed impacts. The focus of discussion for the upcoming meeting will be to (i) review proposed housing program; (ii) discuss the project’s financing; (iii) learn the development team’s proposal for job creation and recruitment - construction and permanent and (iv) outline next steps in the review process with the Project Committee.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...8/parcel-p-3-project-review-committee-meeting

Could someone tell that channel 5 announcer that it is Tremont and not Treemont?

I'll never understand for the life of me why shorter and fatter is the go-to solution for this city.

We just lost a 'Pierce' in Roxbury!!! Let that sink in for a moment.

Roxbury almost joined the 21st Century.

I'm going to get up before the BRA and say, "i applaud you all for building so many 4-6 story turds, where they should have gone 8-18, because as we run out of land, it'll be so much easier to tear these out - as opposed to bulldozing three decker neighborhoods in Roslindale."

Last edited:
This is a shame. I'm generally not a "more height always" guy, but I thought breaking 300 feet was right for this Tremont St Corridor.

Part of me wonders if the reduction of height had less to do with community input, and more to do with the economics of the situation. Hard to fault the developer if it was the latter, but still disappointing.

This certainly goes against the mayor's push for more residential in the city.

Why am I not surprised? It is just not fair! Looks like the plan has been killed! :mad:

You guys are so very very silly about the whole height thing.

Every tall tower sets a precedent for more in the area, some even taller. Every building that gets chopped down into a fatter, wider box also sets a precedent.

If the Pru or Hancock were proposed today, they would likely end up looking like another McCormack Building.

If the Pru or Hancock were proposed today, they would likely end up looking like another McCormack Building.

The four season tower in the back bay is set to have a rooftop higher than the Prudential building. I agree with some of the posters above and believe that this is more of a developer decision than a BRA rejection of the original proposal. The economics of building tall in the Back Bay are much more favorable than the economics of building tall in Roxbury. New Back Bay developments command a price premium compared to most other neighborhoods. Roxbury still has a reputation that causes developers and investors to be wary of taking huge risks. Developers don't care about helping the neighborhood which building larger would have done, they only care about ensuring the best bottom line for developers. I'll be happy if this scaled down proposal is built.

Boston is so very very silly about height. Or should I say, Boston's aversion to what wouldn't garner a second passing glance in what we would like to think of as peer cities is very very silly.

Don't bitch about housing and lack of availability if you also bitch about 9 additional floors on a building already over 200 feet tall. In the middle of the goddamn city. The very very silly games developers have to play to get basic buildings up in Boston retards our potential to no end. (Not accusing you of bitching, to be clear)

Iconic architecture in Roxbury will have to wait another 100 years.... And you have Tito Jackson to thank.

Forget the 900,000 sq ft vs 1.1M sq ft conundrum Downtown. The city has put rules up that have made it next to impossible for Don Chiofaro to build at the Harbor Garage site - which, of course, is precisely why he needs the additional 200k sq ft in the first place.

Roxbury just lost their very own, 'Pierce;'

The City finally did it 'right' at Tremont and Roxbury Crossing neighborhood hubs - but then, something happened, and people should be furious.

The city is comprised of somewhere on the order of 5-8% nimby. But, to appease the rabid dogs, planners end up chopping 10 or 20 floors off nearly every damned building topping 150'..... and as a result, not only is there almost no iconic architecture built into these properties (because they're VE'd nearly to death)-

And this is precisely what Tito Jackson has done to Iconic architecture in Roxbury - where it might as well be Game Over for 2 fantastic projects at Tremont Crossing and Roxbury Crossings;

Frankly this might spell the two last chances for architectural greatness in this Neighborhood. Where else are you going to build the infrastructural centerpoints Roxbury so desperately needs?

You can take nearly all the buildings done over 150' in the last 25-30 years and chop 30-40% of the taxes right off them, in what clearly amounts to the rationing of sq ft and height in this city..... Endlessly rationalized by the false narratives of a few angry residents, hyper-activist politicians and city planners who cave to their disproportionate demands.

And all of this - put upon a city with too high a ratio of property taxed at extremely low rates.

They default back to he big 3: "way out of character blah blah blah,' 'will increase traffic blah blah blah,' 'not supported by public transit blah blah blah....'

Tito Jackson is a jerk. Adding insult to injury, he just might become our next mayor. Make no mistake, If he supported development, i'd support him. But, he's aggressively protested every damned building proposed near his community, including several, much-needed dorms. 180'-200' appears to be the new height limit for Boston's precious transportation hubs.

Curbing these projects back so drastically will have a disastrous effect down the road. We're going to be in a very dark place on building in and tax revenue in a few years as operational costs continue to spike.... and we'll be looking at dozens of turd towers that have led directly to Boston's dire economic picture.

And to whom will the most desperately needy in Boston have to thank?
That's right, look no further than anti-development extremists like Tito Jackson.

He just severely cut back two crucial projects, (including hundreds of apartment units) that would have elevated OUR community to heights only dreamed a few years ago. Who's getting hurt? You all are.

Contrary to everything you've been led to believe, it is nimby politics that presents the greatest threat to any community.

And all you folks who give chopping every damned building in Boston a pass, you're giving lousy, VE'd architecture in Boston a pass.... We get an austere environment at the street level, crap aspect-ratio turds, and austere VE'd cladding, half-assed transit cut back community development, and less affordable housing.

So when i seem like such an ass about height, it's because not only is the market screaming for it, but we're behind the 8-ball for new revenue sources, with almost no land with which to do it..... We have a lot of catching up to do for the last 200 or 300 tallest put up in Boston since that Tom Menino took office. This is a very dangerous game these politicians continue to play with our city's economic future.

In a few years they'll see their error, when we're completely out of land for any serious height or density like Tremont Crossing, They're so dumb, we'll be lucky if they even have a suitable place to relocate the USPS.gov holed up at South Station.

Sorry, Mr. Jackson; This isn't Worcester. People have the right to know you're putting the city's future at risk for your personal gain.

knocked about 90 feet / 9 floors off each tower:
see pages 1 and 11.....

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/f432a2ce-f666-4d9b-b61b-f85ae0f68b90

Last edited:

Back