Please stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, maybe you should live in Chicago for a few years before you go into armchair philosopher mode.
Plenty of people in Chicago including my family there would agree with me on that you just see them as subhuman and their existence as an infestation.

Plenty of people in Chicago including my family there would agree with me on that you just see them as subhuman and their existence as an infestation.
What neighborhood does your family live in oh Mr. I know everything there is to know about Chicago's South Loop?

I understand you are a reactionary who uses the language of disease and vermin to talk about complex social problems in a totalizing and apocalyptic way (for a prime location at that) that just so happens to align with the last 4-5 decades of crime panic fueled white reactionary violence against people of color at the hands of the state and vigilantes. I understand that perfectly well.

Just in case anyone is confused, the statement white reactionary violence against people of color at the hands of the state and vigilantes is in no way, shape or form a perfect example of talking about complex social problems in a totalizing and apocalyptic way. If it seems that way to you then you need to educate yourself on how CRT and DEI are employed to make sure that the arc of the moral universe bends towards justice.

Somebody could e-scooter or skateboard down that connecting overhead ramp fairly easily.
Why is this a problem? People get to the station slightly faster? Your generations instinctive revulsion to all things skateboarding (to the point of enacting violence against random teens for no reason, multiple times, including by state officials, even very recently, and all over the country, including a skater being murdered by a fascist while trying to defend his community) is actually something you all need to work on. There is no reason to get mad at people simply getting around and having fun in a highly sustainable and unquestionably cool way. The idea that you are having a bad time and so everyone else needs to as well (including ruining any wheelchair accessibility so people cant also have fun) is so profoundly childish, grow up.

I would consider reflecting on the immediate animosity and brashness of your posts and what that's doing for us. Consistently being the instigator of fights with posters on all of these threads is starting to read as child/troll behavior. I'm reading less threads on here because of it.

People seem consistently more than willing to tolerate far more directly insulting and absurd things from people on right wing, and only seem to see hostility in people arguing against those advocating for hostile environments for various undesirables. I think you let the pet reactionaries on this forum off the hook for their nonsense by saying I am instigating by responding to it.

I showed in my comment how this kind of thinking (that skateboarders using any part of public spaces is inherently a problem) results in even outright murderous violence. I am not instigating a fight to disagree that the existence of skateboarders is a problem and call out the ironic age based dynamics as they exists. One of those recent attacks (local) was against a teenage skater for "trespassing" on public property by a random stranger and grown man who thought that kid had no right to be there and so he could attack him for it. You might take these things for granted but I don't, that kid was a friend of a friend and just about everyone I know who skates has similar stories. I know several people who stopped skating because of this exact kind thing. I have also seen this kind of rhetoric on the board several times in the brief period I have been here, its ignorant and potentially dangerous. Making spaces hostile to skaters also happens to make them hostile for the disabled, the homeless etc. And yes I think the self appointed fun police who act like skaters are a menace are absurd but it can quickly become something else (and has many times, including very recently). If you don't have that context the hostility in the first comment might not seem so obvious to you, but these kinds of NIMBYist ideas about public space have real consequences in actively contributing to the expansion of hostile architecture and in normalizing personal violence against those the infrastructure declares unwanted.

People who want to live in a city need to accept that people are going to be doing their own thing in close proximity, and if it doesn't actually harm you or someone else (and just having to see something/someone you don't like near you is not being harmed) its not your business/anything to be concerned about. There is a profound hostility in refusing to do that that unfortunately is rarely explicitly acknowledged.

Last edited:
Have you ever heard the expression “you catch more flies with honey than vinegar”? You can counter a negative message with a positive one without lecturing people and, more importantly, without extrapolating far beyond the information you actually have about the people your are talking with. You called me out a few weeks ago and it caused me some genuine self reflection. That’s not a bad thing. Being a jerk is a bad thing.

Have you ever heard the expression “you catch more flies with honey than vinegar”? You can counter a negative message with a positive one without lecturing people and, more importantly, without extrapolating far beyond the information you actually have about the people your are talking with. You called me out a few weeks ago and it caused me some genuine self reflection. That’s not a bad thing. Being a jerk is a bad thing.
Not sure why everyone seems to think it is fine to police my tone, this does not seem to be consistently applied here by any sense of the imagination.

I think advocating for hostile built environments and talking about crime infestations in prime locations is being a jerk but yeah again, that kind of hostility rarely goes acknowledged. I am not going to limit my options in responding to those kinds of unacknowledged hostilities to fit the bounds of acceptability for those who take them for granted. I stand by my point that this kind of orientation to other people having fun is profoundly childish (I work as a teacher and this kind of selfish spoiling of other peoples fun if you cant have it too is usually something people start moving beyond in middle school if not before) and that it is ironic given that it often results in grown men attacking and even murdering literal children.

donkeybutlers, is it "policing of your tone" if site participation drops to zero and no one is listening to you or anyone else here anymore?

As I've shared before, I share many of your values (and know others on here do too). I also understand that one mode of activism (seemingly yours) is to make people feel highly uncomfortable with the status quo (and highly uncomfortable in seemingly innocuous situations) so as to prompt change. I further understand that "all artifacts have politics." Yet, beyond that, there will always be a pragmatic side to effective activism...everyone who's on here is here by choice, and if they all leave, then the activism fails nonetheless. I'll leave it at that. You (and the mods) do what you want. But don't blame me and many of the others that share your values if we stop engaging too.

I think skateboarding isn't a big deal. A speed bump has it's own hazard and aesthetically unpleasing too.

Though I will state for the record that saying "your generation" push the discussion away from the merits of being worried about skateboarders into calling people of the board complicity supporters into murdering skateboarders.

donkeybutlers, is it "policing of your tone" if site participation drops to zero and no one is listening to you or anyone else here anymore?
Is that happening? there are over 100 people online right now. Amazing how you all seem to push all the problems with the board onto me. How convenient, especially since I recently joined. What an easy fix!

Being willing to loudly confront the nonsense you tolerate might make me an easy target to scapegoat but the underlying issues in this board will not be addressed by getting rid of me. You have all made this space hostile to me complaining when I participate in conversation about ongoing projects, demonstrating absolutely absurd double standards around rules of decorum (supported by mods), and all around just acting like every time I post it is a problem. I will fuck my own way off as this forum is clearly more interested in jerking off to tall buildings than actually having interesting and difficult discussions about the lived realities of our urban environment.

I think skateboarding isn't a big deal. A speed bump has it's own hazard and aesthetically unpleasing too.

Though I will state for the record that saying "your generation" push the discussion away from the merits of being worried about skateboarders into calling people of the board complicity supporters into murdering skateboarders.
Acting like people have no right to exist in public space has consequences and does result in violence. I am not equating a speech act and a murder but when the idea that "these people shouldn't be here" is normalized it's only a matter of time until someone seeks to enforce it (and it does happen pretty damn often).

Is that happening? there are over 100 people online right now. Amazing how you all seem to push all the problems with the board onto me. How convenient, especially since I recently joined. What an easy fix!

I have thanked you in past posts for injecting some much needed constructive perspective. I also saw you refer to Boston as "my city," which is an indication you're not just here to troll. But if you get frustrated and leave, then that's failed activism...congratulations.

...this forum is clearly more interested in jerking off to tall buildings than actually having interesting and difficult discussions about the lived realities of our urban environment.

^This forum is nowhere near its depths of deplorability regarding tall building jerking-off and pro-dev trolling that it hit a few years ago. It has been considerably cleaned up since its low points. Is it perfect?, nowhere close. But I challenge you to find a better forum about Boston's built environment. It has come a long way since many of us have worked to build this community.

Hopefully there will be a lot more benches..
There wont be as they dont want homeless around- Its interesting how they manage to keep the homeless out of the seaport there are pretty much none even though if you cross the channel there are a ton of them. Probably the staties strong arming them

It drives me crazy how backward the city is on trees, despite all the blather and promises of Menino and Walsh to plant more trees. Routinely, some sidewalk is totally reconstructed and with ample space to have enough room for a patch of dirt and a well sized tree well… yet time and again, the genius municipal department just plunks trees into tiny square wells where they’re bound to stifle and die in 10 years or less. What a joke.
yeah you highlighted the most likely solution which is that rather than expand the size for the tree, the tree will either be chocked and die or will be chopped when it grows "too much" for the narrow hole. Neither would ever result in type of long term and sizable canopy that makes a beautiful, and climate controlled, public space.

There wont be as they dont want homeless around- Its interesting how they manage to keep the homeless out of the seaport there are pretty much none even though if you cross the channel there are a ton of them. Probably the staties strong arming them
This honestly epitomizes the attitude of the seaport that keeps me away from it as a lifelong resident of the city. It feels like a playground for the rich and tourists* and actually pretty hostile to urban life in various ways.

*I almost said with no playgrounds but I guess it finally does have a real playground if only on the very edge.

Last edited:
Reactions: FK4
This honestly epitomizes the attitude of the seaport that keeps me away from it as a lifelong resident of the city. It feels like a playground for the rich and tourists* and actually pretty hostile to urban life in various ways.

It's becoming as good a place to walk around as any. Just keep your wallet in your pocket. Wandering around and snapping pictures is free of charge! Plus, unlike some neighborhoods, there are actually a couple public restrooms around there.

yeah you highlighted the most likely solution which is that rather than expand the size for the tree, the tree will either be chocked and die or will be chopped when it grows "too much" for the narrow hole. Neither would ever result in type of long term and sizable canopy that makes a beautiful, and climate controlled, public space.

*I almost said with no playgrounds but I guess it finally does have a real playground if only on the very edge.

Wait, we’re criticizing places now for NOT having homeless people around?

Wait, we’re criticizing places now for NOT having homeless people around?
Forcing people who exist to not exist in a certain area is bad yes. Kicking all the homeless people out is not at all the same thing as addressing the problem of homelessness.

Did you read the post I am responding to it even specifically refers to state violence being used to achieve it:
Probably the staties strong arming them
Do you support state violence to keep homeless people out of public view in affluent neighborhoods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back