Portland - Civic Center

While anything will be an improvement, this is a dated looking design already.

SPRINGSTENTRANCE.jpg

FREESTENTRANCE.jpg

I like the idea of using the wasted space along the Free Street entrance and livening up the exterior a bit. Though it all seems like pretty small improvements, even factoring in the upgrades inside.

Corey, I agree with you on the improvements. I think this project is very short sighted and the arena will need to be replaced in another 15-20 years since other arenas of the same size and shape have been built/being built within a couple hours of Portland. Also this arena should be privately financed atleast a certain percentage of it. While I don't like seeing an arena built away from downtown, I wouldnt be surprised if the Red Claws ownership group is waiting to see how this proposal goes once voters have their say. I can see Thompson's point changing again if the arena plans do not pass in November. I think they should redesign the current civic center into a full-time convention center and build a 10k arena on Congress street, similar to the one proposed a few years back. Something will have to give when this goes to the voters in November.

Turning the CCCC into a true convention center would be difficult due to it's small footprint and the cost and amount of construction required to demolish large portions of the building to make it multi level facility. Modern convention facilities require large open floor spaces that can be expanded to accommodate up to 100K square foot of display area. A recent study has shown that this conversion is just not feasible. Would make more financial sense to add a 1000 seats by finishing out the four corners and keeping the building as originally intended. Unfortunately we are getting the renovation without the expansion!

I think the cccc should be demolished and replaced with development of the sort along most of free street. of course, Spring street isn't made for that type of development, so what then? The whole spring street issue needs to be addressed for better design. a new arena would have been great in several locations in the old port or bayside, while opening up the existing land for more cohesive urban-ness.

I starting to think that the one saving thing to get this renovation passed is that Portland's mayor is also on the same ballot. That will pull in the people who are more likely to vote yes, people from Portland. Without the mayoral race being on there, I think this project gets defeated soundly

I starting to think that the one saving thing to get this renovation passed is that Portland's mayor is also on the same ballot. That will pull in the people who are more likely to vote yes, people from Portland. Without the mayoral race being on there, I think this project gets defeated soundly

I think part of the reason nothing has been done is that many people don't actually keep track of how long this process has been going on, with no results. A recent article in the Portland Daily Sun said renovations or replacement had been under study since at least 2004. Try 1999 at the latest. In 2004 there was a proposal to build the new 10,000 seater on the Top of the Old Port, which in my opinion should have been accepted with open arms by both the city and the state. Instead, we have a parking lot, and people still think of Portland as a small vacation town, instead of a city. I think the renovation should not be accepted by voters. The thing needs to be removed from the urban fabric of downtown and put somewhere where it can make a difference--Bayside. It would be really nice if someone offered free land and $20 million to facilitate such a move. Oh wait, that was rejected, too....

Does anyone have any idea why there has been absolutely no advertisements on TV or in the newspaper promoting the proposed Civic Center renovation vote (at least I haven't seen any)? Is it that they don't want to make the people in the outlying Cumberland County communities aware of the upcoming vote and fearing that they will go to the polls and vote against it. Probably hoping that the large turnout for the Portland Mayor vote will help put the Civic Center vote over the top assuming a large portion of Portland residents will vote for the renovation.
I will probably vote for it, fearing that nothing else will get done for another 5 + years if this doesn't pass. Not overly impressed with the Architectural renderings though.

I assume you are absolutely correct. That and money. Also would it be ethical to advocate as opposed to provide the electorate with neutral info and let it decide? That might be another issue.

I think part of the reason nothing has been done is that many people don't actually keep track of how long this process has been going on, with no results. A recent article in the Portland Daily Sun said renovations or replacement had been under study since at least 2004. Try 1999 at the latest. In 2004 there was a proposal to build the new 10,000 seater on the Top of the Old Port, which in my opinion should have been accepted with open arms by both the city and the state. Instead, we have a parking lot, and people still think of Portland as a small vacation town, instead of a city. I think the renovation should not be accepted by voters. The thing needs to be removed from the urban fabric of downtown and put somewhere where it can make a difference--Bayside. It would be really nice if someone offered free land and $20 million to facilitate such a move. Oh wait, that was rejected, too....

A little late to the party but........Amen Patrick!

I finally heard a radio ad for the Civic Center renovation on my drive home last night. It wasn't overly convincing. Basically, that it will create 170 + jobs in construction, bring in more visitors & money to the region and then a woman comes on and says "my kids love going to the Civic Center to see the ice shows and my husband and I love the hockey games". It was pretty weak.

Last edited:
I ended up voting yes for the Civic Center bond (by absentee ballot). It appears that we will be stuck with the building for a long while, so I support making a few upgrades in the short term. The city council and League of Young Voters also endorsed the bond so that helped sway me. I don't think it's going to pass but that's my guess. Will be interesting to see the split of yes/no votes by town and if Portland has any notable increase in turnout due to the mayoral election.

Am happy to see that Cumberland County voted in favor of renovations to the Civic Center. Would have preferred a new arena but will take what we can get with the current building. Now that the $33 million is approved, maybe we can still add some seats on the west end of the structure when the project is put out to bid seeing that construction cost are at a current bargain. Knocking out the two corners at the non stage end would add around 400 seats and bring the permanent number up to 7100 compared to 5800 for Bangor's new arena. Maybe naming rights can assist in this modest expansion?

Am happy to see that Cumberland County voted in favor of renovations to the Civic Center. Would have preferred a new arena but will take what we can get with the current building. Now that the $33 million is approved, maybe we can still add some seats on the west end of the structure when the project is put out to bid seeing that construction cost are at a current bargain. Knocking out the two corners at the non stage end would add around 400 seats and bring the permanent number up to 7100 compared to 5800 for Bangor's new arena. Maybe naming rights can assist in this modest expansion?

I agree with you completely. I would prefer a new 9,000 to 10,000 seat arena down at Bayside but unfortunately that probably won't happen for another 20 years. Looking forward to seeing the final plans for the renovation.

I'm pretty surprised this bond passed, I thought I had voted for the underdog. I echo others in saying that a new Civic Center or a drastically improved current one would be great, but in the meanwhile I think these improvements are a step in the right direction.

From the PPH today:

Civic center officials moving fast on renovation
Planning will start next week for work to begin in the summer, with a preference given to Maine firms.

Neal Pratt, chairman of the civic center's board, said the panel hopes to name a building committee and possibly hire an architect next week. He said the intent is for plans to be advanced enough for work in the arena's seating "bowl" to begin next summer.

In a sense, this will be a very sustainable development, because it will re-use rather than rebuild. However, in my opinion the structure has no business being located where it is, at least not these days. Civic centers are attractions to thousands of people per event, who after the show, so the theory goes, enter the surrounding area and increase business at surrounding shops, restaurants, etc. Bayside needs this kind of foot traffic, not the Old Port, which stands on its own now. Maybe the story was different when the civic center was originally built, but look at things now.

One thing I am glad about, though, is that the Free Street side will have that empty space turned into windows, which will make it more urban. Free street has a lot of potential.

One thing I am glad about, though, is that the Free Street side will have that empty space turned into windows, which will make it more urban. Free street has a lot of potential.

I agree, the Free Street side will be a nice addition. The Spring Street side doesn't seem like much of an improvement, in the renderings it actually appears to add more blank walls.

Free Street has a ton of potential. I feel the same way about Cumberland Avenue. These two streets run parallel to Congress Street downtown, and it would be great to see the activity on Congress Street spread out to these surrounding streets. Oak Street Lofts is a good example of filling the gap between Congress and Cumberland. The parking lots along Free Street near the Civic Center are seem like great opportunities as well.

I am sooooo glad this bond passed- well done Cumberland County ! I really like the CCCC paticularly because it is in the heart of downtown and a renovated CCCC can only enhance the vibrancy and vitality of the city. In addition, there is so much "spinoff" business from a busy CCCC.

Matt

Back