Portland International Jetport | PWM

The two additional gates are needed and will happen sooner than later and are a reasonable investment when compared to the cost of extending the actual terminal. As far as Southwest Airlines ramp issues, their current schedule has the following arrival times: BWI @ 10:05, MDW @ 12:30, MDW @ 4:50, BWI @ 5:45, BWI @ 9:45. I used to work the ramp at PWM (Delta) and that would be considered a very manageable spacing of arrivals. Now there is an additional flight on Saturday (BNA) that arrives @ 4:20 but the 4:50 flight from MDW is not on the Saturday schedule which should not create any overlap issues unless its FAA routing, equipment or weather related delays. My guess is that Southwest has some staffing issues at PWM which limits their ability to handle more than one aircraft at a time which is becoming a problem with numerous airlines and airports across the country. Gate 5 used to be the spare jetway and was available for all airlines to use for these type of situations. As NR2 previously mentioned, the recent refurbishing of the main runway likely contributed to some of the gate delays during the past month and a half.

Last edited:
They did back in 2019. Totally rebuilt the atrium area, relocated the escalators, installed new elevators, bathrooms and tile. The older portion of the upper level received new tile, renovated bathrooms, new carpet and seating.
IMG_5036.JPG

This "new" space that separates the core of the terminal to baggage claim is an architectural failure. It has no real function or design theme, other than connecting space (too much). When passengers go down the escalator their first impression underwhelms, as a taxidermy moose sits in the middle like a fish out of water, incongruous with anything and everything (metal and glass). I've been to many airports, and usually that first escalator taken down to baggage claim is the first impression one has of a destination city. It's an opportunity to reinforce, exhibit, or show off with large photos and more detailed murals of the more dynamic parts of a city. And like they say, "You never get a second chance to make a first impression." Just use any of those wonderful skyline photos from Maine Imaging. But please, no art. The city seems to always fail on this idea. "Tracing the fore?" That was de facto saw blades sticking up out of a green picnic-like area. The Greater Portland area is not the great outdoors with lumbering moose in the woods, or primarily lobstering as an industry. It's a much more diverse and exciting city. Show that. Stop the stereotypes. No more lobster traps and perpetually frozen moose figures. Relegate that to Bangor.

Last edited:
The space as you come down the escalators is the remaining portion of the new terminal that opened in 1968. That rectangle had the ground level boarding gates, ticketing, rental cars, baggage claim and a restaurant under one roof and as a kid I remember my father departing to Vietnam from the terminal in 1969. There were no loading bridges yet and that building met Portland's needs for many years until it became necessary to expand the terminal to the east and west in multiple phases. The space you are referring to is a huge improvement over how it previously looked with the red tile and 70's decor. As far as first impressions, I think any passengers entering the terminal via gates 7-14 would be pleased, and if not we'll do our best to impress them on their way home as they enter through the modern part of the terminal.

Last edited:
This "new" space that separates the core of the terminal to baggage claim is an architectural failure. It has no real function or design theme, other than connecting space (too much). When passengers go down the escalator their first impression underwhelms, as a taxidermy moose sits in the middle like a fish out of water, incongruous with anything and everything (metal and glass). I've been to many airports, and usually that first escalator taken down to baggage claim is the first impression one has of a destination city. It's an opportunity to reinforce, exhibit, or show off with large photos and more detailed murals of the more dynamic parts of a city. And like they say, "You never get a second chance to make a first impression." Just use any of those wonderful skyline photos from Maine Imaging. But please, no art. The city seems to always fail on this idea. "Tracing the fore?" That was de facto saw blades sticking up out of a green picnic-like area. The Greater Portland area is not the great outdoors with lumbering moose in the woods, or primarily lobstering as an industry. It's a much more diverse and exciting city. Show that. Stop the stereotypes. No more lobster traps and perpetually frozen moose figures. Relegate that to Bangor.

I agree and disagree with your points. I agree that tired old "props" should be retired. But the Jetport is the gateway to much more than Portland.....it essentially serves all of Maine. And most people visiting aren't coming here for the "diversity". They are coming here to vacation....at the ocean, on the lakes & in the mountains. Maine is KNOWN for certain icons.....lobster, moose, blueberries, lighthouses, pine trees, etc. I'd just like to see the promotion of all of that stuff updated....and brought into the modern world. How about a large mural of "selfies"....and yes, use a diversity of people.....enjoying these icons of Maine..

My family and I flew out of LHR last month. Our plane was at a "remote gate," and most passengers took a bus and climbed the old-school stairs to board the plane. However, we have a family member who uses a wheelchair so that was out of the question for us. For that case, the airport had a special jacked-up bus that did the following:
  1. Loaded us into the bus via a safe version of a forklift;
  2. Drove us over the river and through the woods to the plane, then
  3. The entire bus rose up to align with the cabin door opposite the stairs.
I wonder if the old downstairs gates at PWM could be pressed into service on an interim basis for similar deplaning on these crowded days. I have to think leasing a bus or two, even a lift bus like we rode, would be cheaper and faster than building two new additional gates, plus it would eliminate what has to be the "why in hell do I have to wait 30 minutes to get off a plane in Portland, Maine???" reaction of some of the passengers.
Unfortunately using those lower older gates would require all passengers to use the stairs to get up to the main level. There is no option for those unable to do stairs.

We are lucky to have the facilities at PWM and airlines, I have flown to several airports and most are far worse and outdated compared to the pink tile, or the area that was renovated. We act like a bunch of spoiled adults who complain about the littlest things. Try flying out of Terminal D(Regional Aircraft) in CLT, how about the blah at LGA, BDL resembles 70 decor with horrible offsite rental facilities.

We are lucky to have the facilities at PWM and airlines, I have flown to several airports and most are far worse and outdated compared to the pink tile, or the area that was renovated. We act like a bunch of spoiled adults who complain about the littlest things. Try flying out of Terminal D(Regional Aircraft) in CLT, how about the blah at LGA, BDL resembles 70 decor with horrible offsite rental facilities.

I think people are just jealous of Bozeman :)

Don't worry, I see my fair share of airports. I fly in and out of PWM every week visiting multiple airports each week. My point was, that they could have been more creative in their re-design of the old sections of PWM.

Just flew back after experiencing Amsterdam and Zurich airports. PWM is certainly small in comparison, but it's a better experience. Zurich had no functioning, or practical, WI-FI connect and plugs for USB, and Terminal B had no AC! -- the gate agents had beads of sweat running down their foreheads. Amsterdam was a mess, with disorganization and confused hordes unsure of where or what line to enter for the passport gate transitions. It was a connecting flight for me, so my bag didn't make it. Same with the outgoing too. At least two hours is needed for them to take a bag off and put it on another plane because of the size and crowded nature of this airport. My only beef with PWM is that Portland comes across as a place in the woods with the imagery and exhibits. It's a city, and when approached from the East End waterfront now, something that probably many Mainers wouldn't recognize from a photo. Good.

^ Though the airport terminal is physically located in Portland, it represents much more than the city itself. As Maine's busiest airport it is the gateway to vacationland and there are many arriving passengers that head for the beaches, lakes, rivers, and mountains that never actually venture into the city. If PWM's marketing approach includes a stuffed moose, some rocking chairs, bear sculptures, wooden structural beams, Sebago Lake water refill stations, folksy design cues and a Linda Bean's lobster restaurant to make travelers feel a little more connected to the state it represents then I'm fine with it. In my opinion, the city has done an excellent job of expanding the terminal numerous times over the past four decades which also includes many infrastructure improvements (roadways, concrete aprons, taxiways, runway extensions, parking garages) by utilizing grants and limited funds received via passenger facility charges. I promise to use my skillful influence abilities to get the dated skyline shots replaced in baggage claim with new ones once 201 Federal Street is completed! :)

Last edited:
^ Though the airport terminal is physically located in Portland, it represents much more than the city itself. As Maine's busiest airport it is the gateway to vacationland and there are many arriving passengers that head for the beaches, lakes, rivers, and mountains that never actually venture into the city. If PWM's marketing approach includes a stuffed moose, some rocking chairs, bear sculptures, wooden structural beams, Sebago Lake water refill stations, folksy design cues and a Linda Bean's lobster restaurant to make travelers feel a little more connected to the state it represents then I'm fine with it. In my opinion, the city has done an excellent job of expanding the terminal numerous times over the past four decades which also includes many infrastructure improvements (roadways, concrete aprons, taxiways, runway extensions, parking garages) by utilizing grants and limited funds received via passenger facility charges. I promise to use my connections and skillful influence to get the dated skyline shots replaced in baggage claim with new ones once 201 Federal Street is completed! :)
Thank you.

You can’t beat the Jetport in terms of how easy it is to get in and out!! So efficient, overcrowded at times but usually just past security, and friendly people. I wouldn’t change a thing about that!

Back