Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

PlantArch

Reaction score
New renderings of 5-7 India St.

View attachment 1877

View attachment 1879

I have mixed feelings. I like how it stands out (and I'm very glad it's not brick) but I find the slate facade to be just a BIT too dark. I was hoping for more of a granite look (Like 215 Commercial st.)
At last, Portland will be assimilated by the Borg cube. Absolutely no imagination.

mainejeff

Reaction score
At last, Portland will be assimilated by the Borg cube. Absolutely no imagination.
Seriously. I hope that these developers realize that they are creating a Portland that no one wants to see.......cookie cutter low rise blocks with bland/ugly facades.

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Not bad depending what the actual exterior finishes look like in reality.
My only criticism of this (and this is not the fault of the developer) is that it isn't flush with the corner of Fore and India. That overgrown gravel parking lot on the corner (in unison with the sewage pumping station across the street) really make the corner of Fore and India a giant ugly stain on a prosperous neighborhood. I wish the developer had been able to buy that corner parcel from UPP and bring a 4-5 story extension of this building to the corner.

#bancars

Reaction score
Hobson's Landing

Free Street:

Hotel at the corner of Center and Commercial streets

It always astounds me that despite how generally-walkable the peninsula is, downtown Portland still has so much surface parking.

Dr. StrangeHat

Reaction score

This article includes a larger rendering of the proposed building. I still think it looks like a car dealership.

From the article:

"An unidentified West End resident has distributed fliers and created a Change.org petition criticizing the project slated for the north side of West Commercial Street, but as of Wednesday afternoon only one other person had signed the petition."

Peter Monroe - is that you? 🤣

markhb

Reaction score
Most of that land hasn't seen any real use since the Freedom Train. I know Portland Trails has wanted to run a trail through there that would connect the Fore River Parkway trail to the waterfront and leverage the Clark St. tunnel, but I imagine it would be easy enough to leave room for that.

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Now that we have our own sub forum, would it be more practical to stop lumping most Portland related development into "new construction continued" and instead create new threads by neighborhood and/or by project in a manner similar to the rest of AB? This may just be my personal preference, but I would at least like to see separate threads for the larger projects (Portland Foreside, Portland Square , USM, Hobson's Landing and soon 385 Congress)

Last edited:

Max

Reaction score
Now that we have our own sub forum, would it be more practical to stop lumping most Portland related development into "new construction continued" and instead create new threads by neighborhood and/or by project in a manner similar to the rest of AB? This may just be my personal preference, but I would at least like to see separate threads for the larger projects (Portland Foreside, Portland Square , USM, Hobson's Landing and soon 385 Congress)
I'm not sure neighborhood threads would have all that much value, but I'd be in favor of project threads.

markhb

Reaction score
Maybe if we do that, we'll stop jinxing new construction! The only specific projects that have gotten their own forums since I've been here are Midtown and Thompson's Point, and we've seen how much they've built :-/

Also, @Corey , if you haven't looked at the New Dawn thread in the Issues and Announcements forum, you may want to. There has been a lot of discussion regarding the T&C's for the site, and while I think some of it has been OTT I'm not a professional photographer so you may at least want to be aware, if not chime in.

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Anyone go to the MERADA conference today? Any development tidbits come out of that?
I didn't attend, but the next big thing to keep an eye out for is the master plan for 385 Congress St. (next to city hall) That may be a few months off. Other than that, nothing huge on the immediate horizon as far as I can tell.

On the smaller side, 104 Grant St in Parkside is set to be redeveloped into a 23 unit residential building. Building is being designed by Ryan Senatore architecture

As mentioned a few weeks ago, there is also a mixed residential / retail building in the works for the corner of Somerset and Franklin. Still very early in the planning stage.

Last edited:

Oneup

Reaction score
We should get rid of that Paul Munro and Tim Paradis guy, always anti-development

Max

Reaction score
I was looking at Boulos' annual market outlook and was interested to see on p. 15 under downtown development they already have under "Proposed" -- 385 CONGRESS STREET 460,000 SF mixed-use development. Office, hotel, residential, retail, & covered parking.

I haven't seen any official proposal but it sounds like the plans must be pretty far along and well known in the development community. 460,000 sq feet is a big development!

Cosakita18

Reaction score
I was looking at Boulos' annual market outlook and was interested to see on p. 15 under downtown development they already have under "Proposed" -- 385 CONGRESS STREET 460,000 SF mixed-use development. Office, hotel, residential, retail, & covered parking.

I haven't seen any official proposal but it sounds like the plans must be pretty far along and well known in the development community. 460,000 sq feet is a big development!

I'm hearing 9-10 stories for some segments. Initially I had been told there would be a public reveal in December, but maybe that got pushed back a couple of months.

I don't know who the architect for this project is, so I'm not sure if the design will follow what is on the Archetype website