Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Dr. StrangeHat

Reaction score
Interesting to see in that report that the Emery-Waterhouse property sold, too. This could be something to watch, since that site can be connected to Rock Row under an existing turnpike overpass. That's a big piece of land, too (about 37 acres).

Capture.PNG

Attachments

PWMFlyer

Reaction score
I mentioned this site to Eimskip and the state to build the cold storage facility and at the time Eimskip needed space ..rail access, etc...

Dr. StrangeHat

Reaction score
Well, to that end, the report also indicated that 203 Read Street just changed hands. That building also has an existing rail ROW (red line below) and is next door to the existing AmeriCold warehouse:

Capture.PNG

markhb

Reaction score
It also mentioned that Eimskip has leased 125 Industrial Way, the former Office Max distribution center. It's decent size, but unlike the Rand Rd. spot there's no hope of rail service.

Portlander

Reaction score
Work crews were on the former Gannett site on Congress Street today conducting soil boring tests which is a positive sign that something is in the works.

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Work crews were on the former Gannett site on Congress Street today conducting soil boring tests which is a positive sign that something is in the works.
385 Congress? I think a lot of the preliminary geotechnical work was done well over a year ago. I assume that plans are basically finalized at this point.

Portcity75

Reaction score
Funny, I came on to post that I saw it too. One of drill boring companies

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Come on guys we get our own sub forum and then everyone goes quiet :p:p

Anyone heard rumors or news in the past few weeks? Things have been pretty quiet so far this year.

Max

Reaction score
I think we're waiting on news from some big projects, namely:
  • 385 Congress Street, which is rumored to be a 460,000 sq ft + proposal
  • Canal Plaza tower, which first has to get height rezoning approval from city council
  • One Portland Square, which I believe is scheduled to break ground in June
  • One Marginal Way, which is in the conceptual stages
Lots of other projects underway. Maine Med's Congress Street garage should start coming down soon.

markhb

Reaction score
There was also the report today about the new "not a TIF" being proposed by the Portland Company developers. And I also requested that several threads be brought over from the Outside Boston forum that were missed earlier.

Max

Reaction score
Kind of an interesting set of documents posted on the city's self service portal today regarding 385 Congress. The developers appear to be proposing a zoning amendment that would allow for some sort of elderly housing. It also appears there is a purchase and sale agreement in progress, with the buyer being Senior Care Development LLC: http://www.seniorcaredevelopment.com/projects.php

I wonder if plans for this site are changing from what the Boulos' Market Report described as a "460,000 SF mixed-use development of office, hotel, residential, retail, & covered parking."

Portlander

Reaction score
Was told last week that the elderly housing was one element of the large mixed use development with includes retail, hotel, office and parking. The garage is planned for the northwest portion of the parcel with the hotel being next to City Hall. This project has the potential to rival the Portland Square proposal.

Cosakita18

Reaction score
I've certainly got some concerns about "Senior Care Development LLC"

It looks like the majority of their development portfolio is suburban-style senior housing, and honestly a senior congregate care / assisted living facility doesn't seem appropriate for such a highly Urban location, for multiple reasons.

Last edited: