Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Max

Reaction score
The developers of the Mercy Hospital site have started reaching out to neighbors with their preliminary plans for redevelopment. I sat in on the presentation they gave to the West End Neighborhood Association the other night, and I was a bit surprised at just how extensive of a development they're imagining.

They're partnering with a senior housing agency to develop one portion of the site and with CHOM to develop affordable housing on another. They're really looking to maximize use of the property, and I suspect they're going to get some pushback on the density from neighbors. For example they're proposing row housing on Winter Street that would line up with the sidewalk (no set backs) at the maximum height of 45 feet, and there was quite a bit of grumbling on this call about that.

Anyway they emphasized it's all very preliminary at this point but they want to be ready to begin construction in April 2022 when the hospital vacates the premises, and finish construction by the end of 2023.

I tried to grab a couple screenshots from their presentation:

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 6.48.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 6.57.59 PM.png

Cosakita18

Reaction score
oh wow! good find.

That is a lot more extensive than I was imagining. I was envisioning a refurbishment of the existing hospital building and maybe a few smaller townhomes, but this looks very ambitious and a good fit for the area. It looks like they plan to remove the entire back half of the existing hospital complex.

Can't wait to see how this evolves.

Capture.PNG

Max

Reaction score
I sat in on a MEREDA webinar this morning on Covid's impacts on developers. Nothing too exciting came out of it but a rep from Reger Dasco mentioned that they're working on a master plan for 385 Congress along with two other developers, so that's sounding like it will be a significant proposal. He also said that they had intended to break ground on Phase II of their Hobson's Landing condos this fall but that's been pushed back until at least next spring or summer.