Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

DESIGN AND PRECONSTRUCTION Q1 2019 - Q1 2020 PERMITTING Q1 - Q3 2020 CONSTRUCTION COMMENCEMENT Q3 2020 CORE AND SHELL COMPLETION Q2 - Q3 2022 TENANT OCCUPANCY Q4 2022 CONSTRUCTION TIMELINE Under Contract Under Contract Under Contract Available (21,000± SF) Available (21,000± SF) Available (21,000± SF) Available (21,000± SF) Available (20,000± SF) 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th Lobby according to Boulos. 3 Portland Square.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an update to the following projects: New Sunlife office building waterfront-waiting till covid is over? I thought the lease in South Portland was up in the next year or two.
Portland Square, I thought construction was going to start in the 3rd quarter.

I really wouldn't be surprised if both of these projects were victims of the pandemic, or at least delayed because of the current economic situation. The ground at Portland Foreside has been cleared and roped off since April, but I've yet to see any construction activity.

Has Portland Square already received planning approval? I know they had workshops earlier this year but I can't figure out whether the project is shovel ready or not.

Last edited:
I didn't attend, but the next big thing to keep an eye out for is the master plan for 385 Congress St. (next to city hall) That may be a few months off. Other than that, nothing huge on the immediate horizon as far as I can tell.

On the smaller side, 104 Grant St in Parkside is set to be redeveloped into a 23 unit residential building. Building is being designed by Ryan Senatore architecture

As mentioned a few weeks ago, there is also a mixed residential / retail building in the works for the corner of Somerset and Franklin. Still very early in the planning stage.
Update on 104 Grant in Mainebiz. Reportedly, final permit approvals have been obtained. Construction is planned to begin this fall and the rendering below accompanied the article.

1596066810078.png

IMG_0834.jpg

Painting complete on the northwest wall, nice improvement and perfect color match! Also noticed that 5 new vents have been added which makes me wonder why they were not added at each floor level?

Last edited:
IMG_0837.jpg

New signage on top of One Monument Square. Merrill Lynch has been removed and a new Bank of America logo (all capital letters) has been added on three sides. A little marketing duplication seeing that BOA is also on the top of One City Center!

Interesting addition to the city's self-service portal today:

200 Federal Street, being developed by Redfern Properties, 265 units.

This sounds a lot like the mockup of a slim, tall building that someone posted on here last year (and the mods subsequently took down). I believe the location is the small parking lot behind the post office.

Anyone have any more info on this?

It is the project that was posted last year for the parcel of land fronting Federal Street behind the former Maine National Bank building. If my memory serves me correctly it was planned for 18 stories at approximately 192 feet which would make it Maine's tallest. My contact tells me it has an excellent chance of moving forward and Redfern also developed the Hiawatha in Longfellow Square. Residential projects in Portland face limited hurdles due to the dire need for housing so we'll keep our fingers crossed. And what a perfect spot in the skyline from a harbor view perspective and 295!

Redfern's project on congress street has 139 units and 8 stories. Which would be about 18 at Federal street.

It is the project that was posted last year for the parcel of land fronting Federal Street behind the former Maine National Bank building. If my memory serves me correctly it was planned for 18 stories at approximately 192 feet which would make it Maine's tallest. My contact tells me it has an excellent chance of moving forward and Redfern also developed the Hiawatha in Longfellow Square. Residential projects in Portland face limited hurdles due to the dire need for housing so we'll keep our fingers crossed. And what a perfect spot in the skyline from a harbor view perspective and 295!

Terrific! Maybe we'll get a tall building proposed this year after all, since I'm guessing the Kowtower Hotel proposal is on hold. Hopefully we'll see some renderings soon.

I like Redfern's building arch styles; contemporary, but not out of place with the old. The Hiawatha took advantage of a hot place to live, Longfellow Square. This new proposal is next to Exchange Street and the Old Port. It's easier to sell apartments near the Old Port, I'm assuming. And 18 stories is not a big deal if you consider Franklin "Towers" is at 17 on the West side (due to the slope). But I'll bet they knock it down to 16, to pacify the old timers. Doesn't Bowdoin College have a residential tower at 18 stories?

Coles Tower in Brunswick (Bowdoin campus) is 16 floors and just a few feet shorter than Franklin Towers. I think Redfern's potential tower will proceed at 18 floors seeing that Back Bay Tower is 16 on the back side and didn't ruffle too many feathers when it was proposed. In today's uncertain climate, I'd settle for 14 stories in that location, just give me a little height! I have a couple of renderings of the tower, just not sure if I can legally post them?

Last edited:
I have a couple of renderings of the tower, just not sure if I can legally post them?

Better stay on the side of legal caution unless they're the same renderings that were already posted here a few months ago.

They are on my phone and I think they are the same ones from November 15th. I was not the one who posted them on here and am not sure why the individual deleted the post.

Thanks for the info and welcome to the Forum! Redfern always knocks it out of the park with their projects so I'm looking forward to seeing this. It's going to be transformative.

Looking forward to it Redfern and there are many on this site cheering for your project to move forward. Can you at least confirm that you are still proposing 18 floors at around 200'? My guess is you are if you're applying for a Zone Map Amendment. 200 Federal Street has a nice marketing ring to it!

Back