Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

PWMFlyer

Reaction score
JB Brown has been trying to get a store in their space on 101 York street. They approached Hannaford and they said no.

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Market Basket isn't Whole Foods or Trader Joes, the don't really do urban or micro-store development. Even in Boston all of their locations are strip-mall style.

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on 1006 Congress St? (The Bunker Brewing building) Plans have been submitted on the self service portal but no other info.

cneal

Reaction score
It's actually the old "Deliverance Center" (remember the loud guy who stood in Post Office Park and yelled about how upset he was about gay people? He hasn't been around lately because they sold his church building):
The new owners got a zone change about a year ago and are planning to renovate the existing building if I remember correctly.

Cosakita18

Reaction score
It's actually the old "Deliverance Center" (remember the loud guy who stood in Post Office Park and yelled about how upset he was about gay people? He hasn't been around lately because they sold his church building):
The new owners got a zone change about a year ago and are planning to renovate the existing building if I remember correctly.
I did not know this!

I had heard there were more ambitious plans for the Bunker Brewing site including new housing and community event space. There was a planning charete that was intended to be held this week at Bunker Brewing regarding the future of that site

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Renovations to the exterior of the Holiday Inn are wrapping up. A big improvement if you ask me.

Screenshot_20200414-094305.png

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Anyone have any info about the extent of the renovations going on at Two Monument Square?

Portlander

Reaction score
I was told that parcel of land on Temple Street is being transformed into a small park with seating, plantings and brickwork similar to the lobsterman plaza without the statue. Will be a nice improvement after decades of being a gravel eyesore that building contractors used for parking. If you are talking about the two story connector between the buildings it is being renovated with a more contemporary design due to similar issues that eventually led to One Monument Square's exterior being reclad several years ago.

Last edited:

Cosakita18

Reaction score
I was told that parcel of land on Temple Street is being transformed into a small park with seating, plantings and brickwork similar to the lobsterman plaza without the statue. Will be a nice improvement after decades of being a gravel eyesore that building contractors used for parking. If you are talking about the two story connector between the buildings it is being renovated with a more contemporary design due to similar issues that eventually led to One Monument Square's exterior being reclad several years ago.
Thanks for the info! I'm assuming that the exterior renovations won't extended to the rest of the building? Two Monument definitely isn't the ugliest building but the facade is looking a little bit tired for sure. Would be nice to see Two Monument blend a little bit better with its counterpart.

Portlander

Reaction score
Sadly it won't. Two Monument Square is 11 years newer and does not have moisture issues inside the exterior skin as far as I know. At least the two buildings look different from each other now after the facade improvements to 1MS, it was a little too much tan brick side by side for my own personal taste.

Max

Reaction score
Kind of an interesting set of documents posted on the city's self service portal today regarding 385 Congress. The developers appear to be proposing a zoning amendment that would allow for some sort of elderly housing. It also appears there is a purchase and sale agreement in progress, with the buyer being Senior Care Development LLC: http://www.seniorcaredevelopment.com/projects.php

I wonder if plans for this site are changing from what the Boulos' Market Report described as a "460,000 SF mixed-use development of office, hotel, residential, retail, & covered parking."

During last night's Planning Board hearing, developers of 385 Congress Street appeared as part of a request for a zoning amendment to the B3 zone to include certain kinds of congregate care facilities. There were no renderings or any real description of the potential development, but it was described as "A large mixed-use development consisting of 3 separate development 'pads,' one of which would be an assisted / senior living congregate care facility."

TC_zoid

Reaction score
During last night's Planning Board hearing, developers of 385 Congress Street appeared as part of a request for a zoning amendment to the B3 zone to include certain kinds of congregate care facilities. There were no renderings or any real description of the potential development, but it was described as "A large mixed-use development consisting of 3 separate development 'pads,' one of which would be an assisted / senior living congregate care facility."
This building was once the tallest in all of New England--yes, taller than any building in Boston. It's a beautiful example of the art deco style, and historical for Portland. Not sure an old age home with diseased patients is a proper conversion. It was bad enough seeing McAuley high school's beautiful gold leaf rotunda building switched over to senior citizens, but this is perhaps worse. The companies that build and manage these facilities only care about what's cheap, to make more profit. Sure, it's a nice view out the windows to remind of days past, but not an efficient use of space in Portland's office building core.

Max

Reaction score
You may be thinking of 465 or 477 Congress. This would be a new development on the lot that includes the former Portland Press Herald printing building and some surface parking.

markhb

Reaction score
It was bad enough seeing McAuley high school's beautiful gold leaf rotunda building switched over to senior citizens
The building with the gold leaf dome wasn't strictly part of the high school, it was the convent. It was already housing senior citizens :).

Portlander

Reaction score
The Fidelity Building (465 Congress) was the second tallest building in New England when it was completed. The Ames Building (1893) in Boston was the tallest with 13 floors and a height of 188 feet compared to 11 floors and a height of 135 feet for the Fidelity. During the 1911 the expansion of the State Capital in Augusta, the dome was added which rose to 185 feet which technically made it the tallest building in Maine not counting church spires. Franklin Towers is still advertised as Maine's tallest (actual occupied space) with a height of 175 feet and Coles Tower Dormitories in Brunswick comes in at a very close second.

Last edited:

PWMFlyer

Reaction score
During this covid 19 pandemic, I think to myself that we are lucky that we are still building compared to other states. There is a lot of continued activity among Portland developments. I am seeing a lot of people look to Maine as a safe haven compared to Boston and New York. More will work at home vs in the office. NYC and Boston will suffer office space issues where people want to work from home. Maine is in a good position to position itself to receive these individuals. A lot of construction people are coming from Boston because they cannot find work or their work site is shut down. There is a lot of building activity in the Portland area still going on.

Selkie

Reaction score
Does anyone know why they ripped off all the siding at the 25 Monument condo project in the last two weeks, and are preparing to replace it. Temporally, it coincided with a strong SEaster rain event. Wondering if they had massive leaks necessitating a redo?