Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

There was also the report today about the new "not a TIF" being proposed by the Portland Company developers. And I also requested that several threads be brought over from the Outside Boston forum that were missed earlier.

Was told last week that the elderly housing was one element of the large mixed use development with includes retail, hotel, office and parking. The garage is planned for the northwest portion of the parcel with the hotel being next to City Hall. This project has the potential to rival the Portland Square proposal.

I've certainly got some concerns about "Senior Care Development LLC"

It looks like the majority of their development portfolio is suburban-style senior housing, and honestly a senior congregate care / assisted living facility doesn't seem appropriate for such a highly Urban location, for multiple reasons.

Last edited:
Any skyscrapers coming up?
I wouldn't say skyscrapers, but we have some larger buildings going up. A lot of 4-7 story structures. A couple that are more in the 8-10 range.

Apparently Canal Plaza and another project could push the limit of 15+ stories. We will see.

And oh my god, the wind! Stronger than what they get on top of Mt. Washington! Unbelievable!

I was speaking with a Market Basket regional manager who stated once the Westbrook store is up and running they are looking at property on the Peninsula for a new store. I am curious if they would go near the old port or the plaza near St.John's street.

I was speaking with a Market Basket regional manager who stated once the Westbrook store is up and running they are looking at property on the Peninsula for a new store. I am curious if they would go near the old port or the plaza near St.John's street.

Hmmm, interesting. I can't see the city allowing them to build in Bayside.

It would definitely have to be a smaller, more urban type store. Other than St. John's Street area, as you mentioned, the only other potential locations I can think of would be the parking lot in front of the Portland Fish Pier or the strip-mall on Congress that currently houses Walgreens and Portland Food Co-Op. They better not even think about putting a grocery store at the Top of the Old Port lot. I will flat out riot over that.

JB Brown has been trying to get a store in their space on 101 York street. They approached Hannaford and they said no.

Market Basket isn't Whole Foods or Trader Joes, the don't really do urban or micro-store development. Even in Boston all of their locations are strip-mall style.

Does anyone have any info on 1006 Congress St? (The Bunker Brewing building) Plans have been submitted on the self service portal but no other info.

It's actually the old "Deliverance Center" (remember the loud guy who stood in Post Office Park and yelled about how upset he was about gay people? He hasn't been around lately because they sold his church building):
The new owners got a zone change about a year ago and are planning to renovate the existing building if I remember correctly.

It's actually the old "Deliverance Center" (remember the loud guy who stood in Post Office Park and yelled about how upset he was about gay people? He hasn't been around lately because they sold his church building):
The new owners got a zone change about a year ago and are planning to renovate the existing building if I remember correctly.

I did not know this!

I had heard there were more ambitious plans for the Bunker Brewing site including new housing and community event space. There was a planning charete that was intended to be held this week at Bunker Brewing regarding the future of that site

Renovations to the exterior of the Holiday Inn are wrapping up. A big improvement if you ask me.

Screenshot_20200414-094305.png

Anyone have any info about the extent of the renovations going on at Two Monument Square?

I was told that parcel of land on Temple Street is being transformed into a small park with seating, plantings and brickwork similar to the lobsterman plaza without the statue. Will be a nice improvement after decades of being a gravel eyesore that building contractors used for parking. If you are talking about the two story connector between the buildings it is being renovated with a more contemporary design due to similar issues that eventually led to One Monument Square's exterior being reclad several years ago.

Last edited:
I was told that parcel of land on Temple Street is being transformed into a small park with seating, plantings and brickwork similar to the lobsterman plaza without the statue. Will be a nice improvement after decades of being a gravel eyesore that building contractors used for parking. If you are talking about the two story connector between the buildings it is being renovated with a more contemporary design due to similar issues that eventually led to One Monument Square's exterior being reclad several years ago.

Thanks for the info! I'm assuming that the exterior renovations won't extended to the rest of the building? Two Monument definitely isn't the ugliest building but the facade is looking a little bit tired for sure. Would be nice to see Two Monument blend a little bit better with its counterpart.

Sadly it won't. Two Monument Square is 11 years newer and does not have moisture issues inside the exterior skin as far as I know. At least the two buildings look different from each other now after the facade improvements to 1MS, it was a little too much tan brick side by side for my own personal taste.

Back