Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Patrick may know the gritty details of this, but I recall something about the building being exempt to the new Bayside building codes because it's not an entirely new building. It's actually partly built from the shell of an older building.

This idea of 'building up to the roads' is something that I agree is very important for a healthy and vibrant neighborhood that caters to its inhabitants. It's a common sense thing that is often overlooked in urban environments.

I think it was actually CNeal who originally mentioned the fact that Walgreens is actually not considered a new building, and therefore not subject to the new building guidelines. The way zoning typically works is that buildings which pre-date the zoning and which are rendered nonconforming by new zoning, can enlarge but only to a certain extent. I suspect this is what occurred here, but I don't know the exact zoning provision relied on. It was a City Planner for Portland who said "their lawyer came up with a creative interpretation that allowed the building."

Corey, you are right, commonsense things are often overlooked in City Planning. This is because city planning is now not so associated as it once was with city building. The basics of city building are well understood, but the difficulty of implementing them arises in light of the fact that there are convoluted and often contradictory or at the very least ambiguous regulations in place, as well as a strong public participation requirement that translates into nothing more than a contentious process, and all of this results in development securing the lowest hanging fruit: sprawl.

Those renderings are all pretty nice. Just out of curiosity, do you know how exactly the Walgreen's slipped in? It's a shame--strong, mixed-use neighborhoods need pharmacies and convenience stores, but at the very least they need to be built up to the road and cater to pedestrians, and ideally they are tenants in a larger project.

Bayside is a really exciting area, and I hope it takes off. I think Manchester has something somewhat similar, though more broken up and not as ideally located, in the Gaslight, Warehouse and Rivers Edge areas in the downtown south between the arena and Queen City Ave. Bayside seems like it has the potential to be a smaller version of the Pearl District in Big Portland. I hope that with a handful of auto-oriented retail spots going in, and some of those renderings looking like mostly single-use projects, it doesn't end up more like Kendall Square.

Bingo. I think the challenge comes from the fact that just after new urban guidelines were adopted for this district the economy sunk, leaving the obvious encouragement to develop coupled with low demand for larger more urban projects. The result is that the usual suspects to urban failure step up (suburban walgreens, suburban supermarkets, etc.). Never seen the pearl district in "Big" (and for the record second!) Portland.

Im wondering why there have been no publicized complaints about los of view from the building directly abutting the avesta property on Oak St. If this were luxury housing, I suspect there would have been more complaints. Yet there were complaints about the affordable housing units going in. Can't win with new buildings. Does everyone remember the previous proposal for market rates here a while back? I think its great there filler properties are being filled.

You should check out the Pearl District--it's remarkably similar to Bayside in original Portland. It was formerly a collection of railyards, scrapyards, warehouses and industrial uses that over the past couple decades has blossomed into a dense, mixed-use area serviced by the Portland Streetcar. Personally, I'd like it to have remained a bit grittier, which I think seems more likely in Bayside just because of the post-bubble state we're in, but overall it's a great example for other former, disused industrial areas.

Pearldistrict.jpg

Also, I thought some of you might be interested in my post at LivableMHT comparing transit in Portland and Manchester. I'd be curious to hear the perspective of Portlanders, especially those who use the Metro.

Great write-up! And thanks for linking my photo back to my Flickr page. I ride the Portland METRO #5 every weekday from downtown to Unum, which is by the Jetport, and can say that the system works well for me. If I had to pick once place for improvement that would affect me directly, I would like to see more frequent service. But I understand that the bus budget always has been and always will be pretty tight. I've never been to Manchester so I can't compare these two systems personally but it looks like you have some good suggestions that I hope are taken into consideration by the powers that be.

It is nice to put things in context once in awhile huh? Having made the move from NH myself (from North Conway though, not Manchester) I always try to remind myself, while in Freeport for example, that things could be a heck of a lot worse... I bet if you did a search for the word "Livability" in the 20 or so years of the Conway Daily Sun, you'd probably come up dry. It does have its charms though...

Back to Portland... or South Portland rather. Has there been any new development in the Knightville/Mill Creek neighborhood since the "Mill Cove Landing" opened? I drove past there a few months ago and it looked pretty empty. I keep hearing about a new transportation hub at Mill Creek too, but haven't been down there to see any evidence of construction.
I think this neighborhood has a lot of potential, but it has to be done right. I doubt you can just start building brand new $500,000 condos and expect them to start filling up when the neighborhood is only now finding its pulse. This may actually be a rare example of local bus forming the basis for "Transit-Oriented-Development" rather than rail or at least BRT... If (and its a big "if") this "transit hub" can provide enough reliable service into Portland, and enough neighborhood markets within walking distance, not to mention "third places" like coffee house's or pubs. Then I could see this area, along with East Bayside, becoming the next affordable artist/bohemian neighborhood after the Hill finally crosses the "Williamsburg line" of gentrification. But it seems a little too soon to start building brand-new mixed-use $250,000-$500,000 condos. People are going to pay that and more on Munjoy Hill these days, but thats because the artists and bohos started packing into "The Front Room" and "Hilltop Coffee" became so crowded that it had to expand, which attracted Rosemont Bakery and the next thing you knew every other turn-of-the-century tenement house was under some sort of renovation. Its all very nice construction, but I wonder how long it will be until all but the wealthy get priced-out.
Maybe this is already happening, but if I were a developer in South Portland, I would be investing in loftspace.
I'm sure that most of you know more than I do about this subject so if you can fill me in on some of the details it would be appreciated.

^ I think Mill Cove Landing still looks kind of empty. Seems like a good development though so maybe it will be populated over time. The new office building at 100 Waterman Drive is also completely empty. There was talk about moving City Hall into the building but I'm not sure if that is going to happen. Also, the 'transit hub' is completed I think. It's just two regular bus shelters by the corner of Thomas Street and Ocean Street. It's a hub in the sense that its where you can transfer easily between the three South Portland bus routes. This PDF has a site plan of the transit hub on the 2nd page.

I agree about this part of South Portland having a lot of potential for more residential development and small businesses. I'd say it's fair to kind of consider the non-Maine Mall parts of South Portland to be neighborhoods of Portland in some sense.

Unrelated note, Portside progress from this weekend:

april2011portlandmainep.jpg

april2011portlandmainep.jpg

Portside is looking good....maybe this will help some of the other Eastern Waterfront Projects get going soon...

lol, that "Irish IRA" on that building has been on there forever. Guess it's not worth cleaning up around there.

Sebago Brewing at that spot will add some real life to the area, especially with outdoor seating and being open late every night.

They have the metal letter "U" and "E" up on Gingko Blue, the new bar being built next to Walter's. Same owners. That should be nicely lit too, add more life across from Portland Harbor Hotel.

It was very weird being in Five Guys, a chain in the old port. Nothing else like it.
Yes, it was very good, been there twice. DO NOT, order anything but the small size fries. Holy christ, it was like a whole bag full.

This month's Portland Magazine has an article in it about the retail space in the Ocean Gateway garage, and suggests it be leased to high end retailers catering to cruise ship patrons, like Burberry and Ralph Lauren.

Also, thanks to the information I learned from reading a bunch of old newspaper clippings shared with me by Portlander, I was able to be interviewed for a story on One City Center in this month's magazine, too. That story can be read here: http://www.portlandmonthly.com/portmag/2011/03/lost-horizon/

Back to Portland... or South Portland rather. Has there been any new development in the Knightville/Mill Creek neighborhood since the "Mill Cove Landing" opened? I drove past there a few months ago and it looked pretty empty. I keep hearing about a new transportation hub at Mill Creek too, but haven't been down there to see any evidence of construction.
I think this neighborhood has a lot of potential, but it has to be done right. I doubt you can just start building brand new $500,000 condos and expect them to start filling up when the neighborhood is only now finding its pulse. This may actually be a rare example of local bus forming the basis for "Transit-Oriented-Development" rather than rail or at least BRT... If (and its a big "if") this "transit hub" can provide enough reliable service into Portland, and enough neighborhood markets within walking distance, not to mention "third places" like coffee house's or pubs. Then I could see this area, along with East Bayside, becoming the next affordable artist/bohemian neighborhood after the Hill finally crosses the "Williamsburg line" of gentrification. But it seems a little too soon to start building brand-new mixed-use $250,000-$500,000 condos. People are going to pay that and more on Munjoy Hill these days, but thats because the artists and bohos started packing into "The Front Room" and "Hilltop Coffee" became so crowded that it had to expand, which attracted Rosemont Bakery and the next thing you knew every other turn-of-the-century tenement house was under some sort of renovation. Its all very nice construction, but I wonder how long it will be until all but the wealthy get priced-out.
Maybe this is already happening, but if I were a developer in South Portland, I would be investing in loftspace.
I'm sure that most of you know more than I do about this subject so if you can fill me in on some of the details it would be appreciated.

You are right about the investment in Millcreek being a little too much, but remmeber that the project you referenced was conceived and largely built during the bubble. There is an attractive (but not too urban) office tower (4 stories, actually, but taller than surroundings) built in that neighborhood, too, which I think is also not too occupied (if at all). The Knightville neighborhood actually used to be the downtown of South Portland, and traffic used to go straight through it to Portland, until the new bridge re-routed everything in 1997. That section of town is good as a pass-through only, and needs fixing. Actually, a planner told me they thought that section of town could be a nice home to a few high or mid rise offices in the parking lots along millcreek plaza, if the owner ever thought about changing the use. That place is a candidate for historic designation, believe it or not, because it is home to the very first strip mall in the State. I really like the Millcove landing project, and the scale of that neighborhood. Appropriate for its location. Close to Portland, walkable, etc.

Edit yes 100 waterman is the name, thanks Corey. Isn't there some sort of a TIF district for the transit corridor in this section of So. Po. too, to encourage dense TOD?

Having read the article about retailers, they make some good points. Maybe big retailers would enhance the retail sector rather than hurt it.

Right, the article said they can co-exist because many people like to know that they exist, even if they are looking for more local things. And I know there must be a market here for even these upper class stores, just look at when a store like Coach opens in the mall...people who can't even afford it save money for a few weeks.

Good points above concerning the retail environment in Portland. I think the key to this, as with most things in life, is moderation. I think we should aim to have a healthy mix of local and non-local stores and restaurants. Some things, like seafood restaurants, are best handled by local establishments and some things, like affordable fashion-friendly clothing, might be better handled by larger retailers.

Oak Street tonight:

april2011portlandmaineo.jpg

april2011portlandmaineo.jpg

By request, Five Guys on Fore Street. Not open yet, but a sign said 'training in progress' on the door. Will there be some outdoor take-out seating? That would be nice here.

april2011portlandmainef.jpg

Woah, isn't that where the R.N. Cohen gallery is? Did he close up shop? Move somewhere else? He had been there for as long as I can remember.

Some news about the Central Waterfront Zone.....

Posted: April 22
Updated: Today at 1:09 AM

'Tired of the politics,' he's selling his wharf
Eric Cianchette says he's long tried to get the city to agree with his vision for a waterfront hotel.
By Edward D. Murphy emurphy@mainetoday.com
Staff Writer

PORTLAND - Eric Cianchette plans to sell the Maine Wharf on the city's central waterfront, saying he's tired of trying to come up with a mixed-use development plan that Portland officials will approve.

click image to enlargeEric Cianchette

Select images available for purchase in the
Maine Today Photo Store
"I remember my father telling me, 'You can't just go through life saying what you don't want. At some point, you have to tell people what you do want,"' Cianchette said, and city officials "really don't want anything."

Cianchette, who has developed other properties in the city and owns the Portland Regency Hotel, put the wharf on the market for $3.87 million, said Joe Malone, the commercial broker who is handling the sale.

Malone said he has received "dozens of calls" about the property, which is just west of the Maine State Pier and the Casco Bay Lines ferry terminal, and has set up a meeting next week between Cianchette and two prospective buyers.

The wharf's tenants are all marine businesses, Malone said, including seafood processors, a lobster dealer and a company that sells pier equipment. Two non-marine businesses -- the Flatbread restaurant and RiRa, an Irish pub -- are on a parcel that was separated from the wharf property several years before Cianchette bought it, about seven years ago.

Cianchette wanted to build a 150-room luxury hotel on the wharf. But hotels are prohibited in the central waterfront zone, and two years ago the Planning Board rejected Cianchette's request for a zoning change.

Cianchette decided against appealing to the City Council and said he would bide his time while other property owners pushed the city to relax its waterfront zoning.

The council did loosen rules for non-marine uses on the first floors of waterfront buildings. That plan is awaiting state approval.

It would allow property owners to rent as much as 45 percent of their first-floor space for non-marine uses, after they try to find marine-related tenants.

Cianchette, however, would still need a zoning change for a hotel, and he said he isn't inclined to wait any longer.

"I'm kind of tired of the politics in the city and the lack of direction and I just don't think our city's headed in the right direction right now," he said. "I'm getting too old for it. I don't need it anymore."

Mayor Nicholas Mavodones Jr. rejected Cianchette's complaints, saying, "It's unfair to make the city the scapegoat for his efforts on the Maine Wharf."

Mavodones said the city took the "unprecedented step" of allowing Cianchette to present his plans at a City Council workshop before he had gone to the Planning Board.

"Even in the infancy of the process, we bent over backward to give him an opportunity to make his proposal," Mavodones said. "From the beginning, we were open to his ideas."

Mavodones said the property owners who worked with city officials on the relaxation of rules for non-marine uses never asked for rules that would allow a waterfront hotel or housing.

"That use was not consistent with the will of what a majority of the property owners on the central waterfront wanted," Mavodones said.

Cianchette said he considered waiting to decide about selling the wharf until after November's election -- when Portland voters will elect a mayor directly for the first time in generations -- to see if the city would become more amenable to development.

Many business leaders think that a popularly elected mayor will be more inclined to support business development because he or she will be more personally accountable than a mayor elected from among the nine city councilors.

But Cianchette said he felt he still faced months or years of wrangling and tens of thousands of dollars in legal and other fees.

"It just isn't worth it anymore," he said. "(City officials) are taking all the fight out of everyone."

Cianchette said his frustration was exacerbated when another developer got a $2.8 million tax break from the city last year to convert the Cumberland Cold Storage building -- a waterfront structure that's also in the central waterfront zone -- into offices for the law firm Pierce Atwood.

Mavodones noted that offices are permitted on upper stories of waterfront buildings.

Cianchette said the final straw was the 2 percent property tax increase that's likely if Portland's proposed municipal and school budgets are approved.

With homeowners and businesses still struggling, the tax increase "is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of in my life," he said.

Cianchette said he is close to getting the city's approval for a 125-foot extension of the wharf -- a process that he said has taken two years because of the city's foot-dragging.

He said he would likely transfer that approval to the wharf's new owner rather than doing the construction on his own.

Staff Writer Edward D. Murphy can be contacted at 791-6465 or at:

emurphy@pressherald.com

Avesta Housing Holds Neighborhood Meeting; 4/26 Evening
April 25, 2011 in Uncategorized | No comments

Former Adams School, Named for its Popular Past Principal, Marada F. Adams

By Carol McCracken* (Post # 672)

Avesta Housing is holding an informational meeting on the conversion of the former Adams School into condominiums on Tuesday, April 26 at the Shailer School Community Room, 56 North Street.* The meeting begins at 6 pm.

For more information, pls see Post # 584, September 17th herein.

Share on Facebook

No commentsComments feed for this article

Munjoy Hill News is reporting that demolition is set to begin on the Adams School site next month.....Avesta is planning on 16 units for the site.

Back