Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

I heard a very interesting talk by Avesta folks the other day. Apparently, there is some state bond that was enacted a while back that is the only way Oak Street is financinally viable. Otherwise, would have been too expensive of a project to result in affordable units. I think it is a great model for affordable housing, though, given its location.

I don't know what Avesta has for tenants in most of their places but there's a difference between affordable and shelters. Hopefully they are leaning more towards affordable because whether you want to hear it or not, certain groups are literally destroying apartments they live in. Ripping cabinet shelves off and putting on wire, using buckets for bathrooms, destroying stoves and refridgerators that Portland Appliance keeps replacing even though they told city officials they should be putting in cheaper brands.

What's your opinion on the untis that Avesta has opened up so far in the city?

Avesta seems to be opening some good housing units. The oak street lofts are in a great location...and the other planned units seem to be fairly decent and will certainly add to the density on the peninsula. Not many other cities have a housing corporation that developes housing units in the same manner, at least not from my perspective, as a Massachusetts resident. So, In my opinion, they are doing a pretty decent job with affordable housing.

I have lived at an Avesta property, 645 Congress (formerly the USM Portland Hall and once a hotel), since last September. I think they do a great job. This is currently the only market-rate Avesta building, meaning there are no subsidized units. The building is geared towards 'younger professionals' such as myself. The car-free urbanite in me appreciates the discount for not using a parking space and the Local Sprouts restaurant on the first floor is a good match for the building. Its also nice living in a newly remodeled building with all new appliances and kitchens and such. I'm confident that the Oak Street project will be top-notch.

I don't know what Avesta has for tenants in most of their places but there's a difference between affordable and shelters. Hopefully they are leaning more towards affordable because whether you want to hear it or not, certain groups are literally destroying apartments they live in. Ripping cabinet shelves off and putting on wire, using buckets for bathrooms, destroying stoves and refridgerators that Portland Appliance keeps replacing even though they told city officials they should be putting in cheaper brands.

What's your opinion on the untis that Avesta has opened up so far in the city?

I think Avesta plays a vital role in Portland by developing affordable housing. That being said, some tenants are more problematic than others. Florence House, a place for the chronically homeless women, looks and feels like a shelter of sorts, and I suspect it has a more difficult time blending in than somewhere like Oak Street efficiency will, which is geared toward the artsy types you currently see on Congress. Pearl Place seems to be a decent housing development, too. All in all, I think Avesta does a great job, although when the units aren't market rate, there are always the usual issues that bug some people---which are less a product of the housing and more a product of the people. Better in urban housing, though, than homeless or stuck out in the suburban projects that some cities, including Portland, built previously.

2 Multi-Million Dollar proposals for Convention Centers, The Adams School redevelopment, and the Oak st lofts.....for a small size city in the midst of a recession, Portland is doing pretty good. Hopefully all Bayside will see a new, urban project pop up soon....

2 Multi-Million Dollar proposals for Convention Centers, The Adams School redevelopment, and the Oak st lofts.....for a small size city in the midst of a recession, Portland is doing pretty good. Hopefully all Bayside will see a new, urban project pop up soon....

Don't forget a $100 million expansion of the International Jetport, and a new hotel and condos

From today:

april2011portlandmainep.jpg

^Through a window

april2011portlandmainep.jpg

april2011portlandmaineo.jpg

Last edited:
In my travels to Portland, and through viewing maps and other city layout photos....i have always wondered why there hasnt been more of a push to spur development along west commercial st. There seems to be a huge stretch of undeveloped waterfront land along West Commercial St all the way up to the Fore River.
It seems like an area with alot of potential.
( i could be wrong, maybe there are or where development plans, but it seems like most development is focused on The Eastern Waterfront Area)

You are right that there is potential there, but it has not gone unnoticed. For instance, there is a relatively urban block there, that looks like it was transplanted from the Old Port. And the rest of the land is either a RR ROW or owned by a large industrial company which uses it for other purposes at the moment (purposes other than a downtown setting might look like, that is). Portland as we all know was/is industrial, and this is the fringe of its industrial port. The bridge also separates the normal feeling of continuity. I heard, however, that the area you are talking about was considered at one time for a new law school, near the water. Another reason it may be undeveloped is because of the large conservation belt around the West End, which kind of detracts from the area by isolating it from a grid perspective. It is also slowly being considered for mixed use projects, as well as a walking trail, but these things move slowly. Lastly, if Portland was fully built out, we might start wondering why Westbrook wasn't more urbanized...I think there is just a logical extent of every urbanized area based on what the market will allow under certain circumstances, and we are seeing what that is for Portland already. There is just no interest in that part of town that would enable nice development there (it all goes elsewhere, first, but will then show interest in this area, I assume).

New building. Not sure of use, but looks commercial. If it wasn't in qan urban area, I'd say it looked residential, but usually houses in this location have their entrances higher up, about half a story from the street, for more privacy (although it is interesting how many of them then convert their basements into apartments with half windos...meaning privacy isn't much of a concern at all). I could be wrong for this structure though. Maybe it is residential.

^Thanks! I imagine that whoever/whatever owns that series of parking lots would be quite tempted to sell the land for the right price to a developer when the economy picks up.

Pierce Atwood HQ is coming along, picture taken a couple evenings ago:

april2011portlandmainew.jpg

^Thanks! I imagine that whoever/whatever owns that series of parking lots would be quite tempted to sell the land for the right price to a developer when the economy picks up.

Pierce Atwood HQ is coming along, picture taken a couple evenings ago:

april2011portlandmainew.jpg

I'd like to think that's how things work...especially with a restaurant (amenity) and hotel (another amenity), as opposed to just "some new structure", this shoul ddraw interest in the other properties. I know the market must increase when more amenities are there.

I think if a well connected money filled developer came in, Western Commercial on both sides of the street could be a magnificent development, with a new downtown street feel to it.

This could have some impact on future of Portland's waterfront. I really haven't read up much about this issue, but this seems to be a good thing.

State approves Portland waterfront zoning change

http://www.pressherald.com/news/State-approves-Portland-waterfront-zoning.html

Portion of the article:

PORTLAND ? The state has approved new rules that cut the amount of first-floor space that must be reserved for marine businesses in waterfront buildings.

The city had required that all first-floor space be set aside for marine uses, but the Portland City Council voted in December to reduce that to 55 percent. The rest can be rented to non-marine uses after the wharf owner has made a good-faith effort to find marine-related tenants.

The practical effect of this is likely to be nil, because who would want to work next to 55% marine related business if they weren't in the same business?

Back