Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

From yesterday:

may2011portlandmainepor.jpg

Hampton Inn is looking good....thanks for the pics
Is there a phase two of the hampton inn, or am o mistaken?

Yes, there is, but it has been controversial and I believe it is still in the review or 'negotiation' stages at the City. Supposed to be housing atop structured parking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id like to see a rendering, there will be plenty of open space after phase one is final. More housing would be great, it would help the other redevelopment efforts in that neighborhood.

Developer of Former Village Cafe to Return to Planning Board; Informational Meeting Set for Tuesday, May 17th
May 17, 2011 in Uncategorized | No comments

Site of the New Village at OceanGate Where the Popular Village Cafe Once S tood

By Carol McCracken* (Post # 781)

The public is invited to attend an informational meeting to discuss plans to extend the expiration date of the site plan approval and the conditional zoning agregment for the proposed development ? the Village at OceanGate.** The meeting is set for Tuesday, May 17th at 7 pm.* The address is 46 Market Street, Portland.** There is also a Bay House Model unit at the same address.

Demetrios Dasco, managing member, said that the developers will be attending a planning board meeting on May 24th in order to request a 15 month*extension for the development.* The developers plan to build the* acre* into mixed use ? 82 residential units along with retail and parking.

?Financing for developments like this have disappeared, but there is a huge demand for the units,? said Dasco in a telephone call to his Boston office. ?But it?s getting better out there.* We are close.* There hasn?t been a*large development like this in over* 20 years,? he said.

Please visit www.bayhouseportland.com

Share on Facebook

I went up to Portland on Friday with some family and the Intermed building next the the freeway looks great. That whole area looks nice; bayside is it? Is there any more development scheduled for this area? BTW my folks LOVED Portland. Portland is proof that city proper population doesn't mean jack in judging a city.

I went up to Portland on Friday with some family and the Intermed building next the the freeway looks great. That whole area looks nice; bayside is it? Is there any more development scheduled for this area? BTW my folks LOVED Portland. Portland is proof that city proper population doesn't mean jack in judging a city.

There was more development planned for this area, some of which was close in size to intermed, but that was before the economic recession. Now there is only Pearl Place phase II, which is a 5 story subsidized apartment building.

Developer of Former Village Cafe to Return to Planning Board; Informational Meeting Set for Tuesday, May 17th
May 17, 2011 in Uncategorized | No comments

Site of the New Village at OceanGate Where the Popular Village Cafe Once S tood

By Carol McCracken* (Post # 781)

The public is invited to attend an informational meeting to discuss plans to extend the expiration date of the site plan approval and the conditional zoning agregment for the proposed development ? the Village at OceanGate.** The meeting is set for Tuesday, May 17th at 7 pm.* The address is 46 Market Street, Portland.** There is also a Bay House Model unit at the same address.

Demetrios Dasco, managing member, said that the developers will be attending a planning board meeting on May 24th in order to request a 15 month*extension for the development.* The developers plan to build the* acre* into mixed use ? 82 residential units along with retail and parking.

?Financing for developments like this have disappeared, but there is a huge demand for the units,? said Dasco in a telephone call to his Boston office. ?But it?s getting better out there.* We are close.* There hasn?t been a*large development like this in over* 20 years,? he said.

Please visit www.bayhouseportland.com

Share on Facebook

I'm confused because the website says constrution starting this summer. Where is the above quote from? And thanks for posting this info.

Thank u corey...i guess my cut and paste job needs to be thorough lol

The fact that they are requesting an extension, although somewhat frustrating, means they hope to get started relatively soon. Im just glad they arent abandoning the plan altogether.

Who knows, maybe they will start construction before the summer is over....hey we can hope right? Lol

The hotel looks great, just saw it today coming down Fore Street.

I am still confused how the construction can start this summer yet the extension request is until 15 months from now.

Developers seek maximum extension of permits for proposed East End condo project in Portland
By Randy Billings
E-mail and share
May 17, 2011 8:50 am
112-113 Newbury St., Portland, Maine

PORTLAND ? A Massachusetts development company is asking the city to extend its special zoning and site plan approvals for a mixed-used condominium complex on the former Village Cafe property.

The company, Village at Oceangate, is seeking extensions that would allow it to build a five-story, 176-unit condominium complex at Newbury and Hancock streets with space for a 150- to 200-seat restaurant and sidewalk-level commercial space.

Village at Oceangate principal Demetri Dansco said only the first phase of the Bay House development, consisting of 82 units, has received site plan approval from the city. Two, four-story buildings would be built on top of a single-story parking garage, he said.

The site plans are set to expire in June, but the company has asked the city to extend the plans and the contract zone to Sept. 22, 2012, the maximum allowed.

The requests will be considered by the Planning Board on May 24. Although the board will rule on the site plan extension, it will only made a recommendation about the contract zone to the City Council.

Village at Oceangate said in a letter to the city that the project has been delayed because the collapse of financial markets in 2008.

"During this period the banks had no appetite for ground up residential construction projects of this nature," the company said.

"We will continue to invest in Portland," the company added. "However, the potential for significant additional investment ... relies on the extension of our permits and approvals."

But neighborhood residents are wary, even if it means killing the project.

Allison Brown is president of the India Street Neighborhood Association, which formed last year partly in response to neglected commercial and residential properties between Munjoy Hill and the Old Port.

Brown lives across the street from the project property, which is bordered by Hancock, Middle and Newbury streets. She said many residents, including herself, are planning to oppose the extensions.

"The consensus on the (neighborhood association) board, though it is not 100 percent, is that we are going to be extremely critical of them getting an extension," she said.

Brown said the now-vacant lot has been used as a virtual dump*? for everything from snow, to trash to furniture ? and the chain-link fence around it has fallen into disrepair.

Hugh Nazor, the association's treasurer, said he filed a complaint with the city's code enforcement office three weeks ago about the condition of the lot.

Although the property has since been cleared, Nazor said he is not convinced it was in response to his* complaint or others, but rather reflects the timing of the company's request that the city extend its approvals.

"Of course, (spring is) a good time of the year to do it," he said. "So, perhaps I'm being too cynical."

Dansco said he understands the neighbors concerns about the condition of the property.

"We have heard those concerns," he said. "We are 100 percent determined to make a positive impact on the neighborhood by doing a better job to keep this site clean."

Dansco said his company is committed to the project, noting it has maintained an office on Market Street with a model unit on display.*

Dansco noted that the project, with a first phase estimated to cost $30 million, also includes public infrastructure improvements, including a traffic study, India-Middle street traffic improvements and a $200,000 payment to the city to extend Hancock Street between Middle and Commercial streets.

"We're still excited," he said. "A lot of projects have come and gone, but we have maintained our commitment to the project."

Dansco said the Bay House project continues to generate interest from five to 10 prospective buyers a week. And the company said in a letter it's "starting to generate traction with regard to financing."

According to the Bay House website, the company plans to break ground this summer on the "new metropolitan-style condominiums in a historic waterside neighborhood."

Prices range from $170,000 for a studio to $550,000 for a three-bedroom condo.

Dansco said he feels as though the financial markets are beginning to thaw.

"It is frustrating to have a project that has a lot of market demand and the financial markets have collapsed," he said. "(But) we remain very bullish about Portland."

But Nazor and Brown are not as optimistic.

They said they feel the project will never get under way. Both expressed concerns about the size of the project and said they would prefer a smaller development that better fits the fabric of the neighborhood.

Brown said the neighborhood association will meet on Thursday at 5:30 p.m. on the second floor of Micucci's on Market Street. She hopes to energize residents to speak at the May 24 Planning Board meeting.

"Personally, I feel they have been a bad neighbor," Brown said. "They haven't really done anything other than treat it like a dump."

Randy Billings can be reached at 781-3661 ext. 100 or rbillings@theforecaster.net. Follow him on Twitter: @randybillings.
You must register or login to post a comment.
Copyright 2011 Sun Media Group

**** This article was originally posted in The Forecaster, it says they still want to break ground this summer, and explains more about their request for an extension. Unfortunately, it also says India street neighborhood associatiob wants to oppose it. More NIMBYism

Patrick Venne
157 Wolcott Street
Portland, Maine 04102

18 May 2011

Portland Planning Board
389 Congress Street
Portland, Maine 04101

Re: Bay House Site Plan Approval Extension Request

Members of the Portland Planning Board:

I write to you this date to express my support for the request for site plan approval extension the development company operating as The Village at Ocean Gate, LLC is likely to formally make at your next meeting, on May 24, 2011.

Despite opposition likely to arise from the recently formed India Street Neighborhood Association (?ISNA?), I ask that the Board not lose sight of the fact that the project known as ?Bay House? is directly in line with the City?s clearly expressed objectives for this neighborhood, and therefore should in no way be hindered by additional permitting obstacles merely because it fell victim to the same global credit crunch that evaporated so many other progressive projects around the City. Given the current economic climate, it is a wonder this project is able to continue expressing interest in Portland at all, and the investors behind it should be applauded for their commitment, not hindered in their admirable effort. The ISNA may be right that the vacant lot currently occupying the development site is less than desirable, but it in no way stands to reason from that assertion that the Bay House?s site plan approval is not worthy of extension. For all of the following reasons, the exact opposite is true.

Beginning at least as far back as the early 1990s, the City has referred to the India Street neighborhood as a downtown ?perimeter growth area? and sought to encourage mixed use projects on properties directly abutting that at issue here as part of the Eastern Waterfront Master Plan?s redevelopment principles. Not only will this project create the sort of critical mass of residential units necessary to create a dense and lively urban neighborhood of the sort envisioned by the City, it is also of a scale that perfectly transitions between taller structures west of Franklin Street and shorter residences east of Hancock Street. Moreover, this ?smart growth? proposal is also directly in line with the City?s previously stated housing goals.

As for potential size complaints likely to arise, while the proposed structure is admittedly slightly larger than much of the surrounding building stock, I would hasten to add that the developers have already dramatically scaled down their initial 2005 proposal, by several stories, in response to complaints from upland neighbors. Moreover, this project is nearly exactly as tall as other projects recently completed or currently under construction in the immediate vicinity. To further obstruct this urban housing proposal in an area expressly targeted for redevelopment by the City would, in my mind, send the wrong message not only to the Village at Ocean Gate, but also to other potential developers interested in investing in Portland?s future.

Finally, in response to complaints by the ISNA regarding the unkempt appearance of the site at issue, I ask the following rhetorical question: what better way to improve current conditions than to ensure speedy development? Denying the request for site plan approval extension will only prolong current concerns. Without this project, the former Village Caf? site will remain a crumbling open space susceptible to precisely the land uses the ISNA complains of: dumping, snow storage, and vandalism.

In closing, I would like to ask that for the foregoing reasons the Board vote to recommend extending The Village at Ocean Gate?s site plan approval for the maximum time permitted in order to allow the Bay House additional time to weather the current economic storm.

Thank you for your time and consideration of these points.

Sincerely,

Patrick Venne

Pierce Atwood progress:

may2011portlandmainepie.jpg

The Bank of Maine, formerly Savings Bank of Maine is moving in here at Canal Plaza. Looks like they are adding an entrance on Middle Street, which will help liven up this little stretch.

may2011portlandmaineban.jpg

Hey Corey, were you with your camera at Monument square around 7 last night?

I'm going to get in one of your pictures secretly someday. I thought you took a pic standing right across from the library down congress as I was at the light.

Hey Corey, were you with your camera at Monument square around 7 last night?

I'm going to get in one of your pictures secretly someday. I thought you took a pic standing right across from the library down congress as I was at the light.

Yep, I think that was me! I was waiting for my girlfriend to get out of work and was just killing time. I probably got a picture of you then.

From yesterday:

43931391.jpg

91793304.jpg

65856412.jpg

I was recently emailed by the Hampton Inn operating company about a gig taking some photos of the building. It will be some good practice. If they end up offering to purchase rights to the the above pictures, I'll remove them from here.

Very nice, Corey. The developers read this forum, actually. That would be cool if you took some professional photos of new development, which seems to be right up your alley!

Anyway, the above photos are great, and my only criticism is the size of the trees...is it not possible to plant bigger trees? These types of trees just sit there looking like mandated shrubbery instead of actual urbanizing vegetation.

Also, nice shot with the pedestrians...REALLY looks a lot better and more of an urban neighborhood than the dilapidated meat factory (and is support for the argument that development of the right sort really improves a place. Did you wait for the peds or were they just there? Looks great.

Back