Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

That's not how they'll look. Each will be designed with retail on the bottom and presumably will not be drab in nature, although that's a chance.

Will it have retail on the Bayside? I have no issue with the Garage themselves just cover them up completely like with most new mixed use projects..

Will it have retail on the Bayside? I have no issue with the Garage themselves just cover them up completely like with most new mixed use projects..

Plenty of retail space. Fronted with plazas and a pre-existing pedestrian trail. On the other side (downtown side) is a street with a lot of potential for re-use. It currently houses an old brick low-rise with big garage doors I can envision being replaced with glass and allowing more retail (at some point) and restaurant spaces with outdoor seating. Already has cobble stones (paved over mostly, but pealing) and heads straight toward Whole Foods, so is already well traveled.

^I've also thought that the old brick warehouse building (Noyes Self Storage, I believe) and that section of Kennebec Street could be an attractive pedestrian area some day. It reminds me a bit of Yawkey Way next to Fenway Park. Now we just need an arena of some sort in Bayside!

Unrelated:
5apMRD3.jpg

WJCDTzt.jpg

I think that ^ was posted in the forum late last year. Does anyone know the status of the Pine and Bracket Street development?

"Alot of new restaurants/bars opening up in portland infiniti, north point, tap house, outliers. Been to them all except outliers, but was impressed with them especially north point any thoughts on them?"

Yeah there's been a straight up explosion of restaurants and it's not ending anytime soon.

I don't love the interior of In'finiti as much as I thought I would. I thought it would be bigger and more industrial looking. Kind of a strange mix of nautical and Rira. Still an awesome place but a pricier menu than I expected.

Little Tap House has the best burger in the city and a great tap list with pretty fair beer prices.

Blue Rooster next to Amigo's now sets the standard in the city for take out food. Unreal.

The mexican food truck El Corazon set up shop on commercial street Sunday and they are such nice people and the food was tremendous.

Haven't been to Outliers yet but certainly aiming to within the next month. They put well over a million into that place.

B good burgers from Boston going on Exchange street. our first real craft cocktail bar Portland Hunt and Alpine Club on Market street, Salvage BBQ down near Hadlock on Congress st, and a bunch of other places coming.

^ The Spring Street plan to narrow the roadway to 2 lanes and sell the excess right-of-way to adjacent landowners got unanimously endorsed by the council a couple of weeks ago.

It's actually scheduled to be repaved in 2015 by the state DOT, so the basic realignment will happen by then. The state is more than happy to pave 2 lanes instead of 4, and a portion of what the state saves in asphalt costs is expected to be dedicated to some of the construction costs of realigning the curbs and demolishing the concrete median. The Civic Center project is also expected to make a contribution to the project on that block.

So, unlike Franklin Street, this plan should become reality relatively quickly.

The Spring Street plan to narrow the roadway to 2 lanes and sell the excess right-of-way to adjacent landowners got unanimously endorsed by the council a couple of weeks ago.

That's great news. That portion of Spring Street has been an inexplicable 1/4 mile highway for way too long. It would be great if some of the southern side of the street could be developed, especially the parking lots next to the Holiday Inn.

In the meantime narrowing the road and doing some major landscaping will be a huge improvement.

I don't know if it has been mentioned already or not, but I have seen posts elsewhere that the old American Can building on Read Street is being torn down right now.

Out of nowhere the Hyatt Place hotel on Fore street has a couple floors of steel up. The race is on.

I applaud Avesta for developing the property, but another level/story or two wouldn't hurt, especially at this location.

Going higher than 4 stories does hurt the bottom line, unfortunately. A taller building would require steel construction, which is a lot more expensive and makes it much more difficult for the numbers to work, especially for a mixed-income housing building like this.

That makes sense. At least the residents in the Back Bay Tower can still retain their views to the west. I know they raised a big stink about it when the doomed Waterview was proposed.

Back