Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

The Courtyard by Marriott on Commercial Street is keeping up with the Hyatt Place on Fore Street:

dR2tQSP.jpg

ib2o6py.jpg

Damn what a beautiful day to take pictures! Thanks again Corey!

Does anyone know why half the hotel footprint in the second pic is going before the other half? (usually from what I've seen in the past is a more even build like the Hampton Inn)

Damn what a beautiful day to take pictures! Thanks again Corey!

Does anyone know why half the hotel footprint in the second pic is going before the other half? (usually from what I've seen in the past is a more even build like the Hampton Inn)

The Hampton Inn actually built one half first, then the second half as well. I asked the developer about this and if I remember correctly it was to allow the other crews and subcontractors to begin work on the interior of the first half without having to wait around for the full framework and also so that the second half could be ready to work on by the time they were done with the first. I believe its just an efficiency timing thing.

Thanks for the photos Corey
I am simply astounded the numbers work for the hoteliers considering Portland has zero convention business and a predominantly seasonal hospitality enterprise. This being said, it speaks very well for the city that national brands Hyatt and Westin have entered the market.

Portland's convention business is doing very well and is far from being a "zero". Like Manchester, the city does not have a dedicated stand alone convention center yet. Meetings have been and continue to be held in privately owned spaces throughout the city and region. Greater Portland's draw will always be respectable due to lobster, L.L. Bean, lighthouses, museums, restaurants, OOB, transportation network and it's wonderful seaside location. I think the Holiday Inn by the Bay still has the the largest overall convention space in Maine at over 27,000 sf, for comparison purposes Bangor's Civic Center's meeting space totals around 22,000 sf. The Westin will have extensive space including a renovated State of Maine Ballroom when the hotel reopens early 2014.

Last edited:
Got a chance to test out my new camera during a break in the rain today. Looking forward to getting some shots of the new construction around town on a brighter day.

vwBANbM.jpg

Bl5aaA4.jpg

llP0rWJ.jpg

cCqEHZg.jpg

Nice! What camera did you get?

Thanks! I've moved from a Nikon D90 to a D600. So far I'm impressed but I haven't spent much time outside with it yet due to the rainy weather. A full-frame camera isn't necessary for what I do (it's just a hobby, although it does bring in some extra income) and it's almost always better to invest in good lenses, but I was ready for something new and I found a good deal on a factory refurbished model.

Thanks! I've moved from a Nikon D90 to a D600. So far I'm impressed but I haven't spent much time outside with it yet due to the rainy weather. A full-frame camera isn't necessary for what I do (it's just a hobby, although it does bring in some extra income) and it's almost always better to invest in good lenses, but I was ready for something new and I found a good deal on a factory refurbished model.

Good choice on the D600 Corey. There's nothing but great reviews of it. I am sure the quality will reflect in the photos you shoot, as always.

I am very happy with the committee decision and shows that the vocal minority does not always get their way. Go Westin!

I was slapping fools on the press herald today but all the comments got erased

Back