Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Allagash has also taken over a good portion of the old LL Bean warehouse on Warren Ave on the Portland/Westbrook line. They moved their warehousing/distribution there, hence the ability to expand their production facility.

Thanks; I had seen the sign, but hadn't gone wandering in the driveway to look around.

The crazy glass is in place on the Hyatt; it's quite striking when coming in Fore St. from Gorham's Corner. Sorry, I didn't get photos when I was intown today.

AWESOME signing at Allagash! I'll have to take a visit there one of these days and try some of their brews.

oTcLRir.jpg

Friday's Press Herald had a large ad for the Courtyard Marriott condos on the front of the real estate section (possibly to be replicated in tomorrow's MST). I found the photo from the listing here; they're calling it the Harborside.

I was recently interviewed for an article in the Forecaster pertaining to the "Images of Change" photography show at the Lewis Gallery in the Portland Public Library (check it out, it's up until the end of February and has tons of great photos around town including two of mine). Anyhow, the article also touches upon the Midtown development in Bayside. Thought you'd all appreciate that I gave the "Portlanders For Sustainability" group a shout-out.

Templeton cited the position of the group Portlanders For Sustainability, saying Portland should embrace its size.

"People chose to live and visit Portland because it's a city, not in spite of it," he said.

Courtyard by Marriott (I was pleasantly surprised to see all the windows on this corner, I think it looks swell)

trlEmDg.jpg

b9vnYDD.jpg

V9rb3NX.jpg

Hyatt Place:

P0o9iOh.jpg

ad89qmb.jpg

izdBVv9.jpg

Something new on St. Lawrence St (sign says 9 & 11 St. Lawrence St. Townhouses). No comment.

JW6N5Ce.jpg

rmlF6d8.jpg

The wave of the future for Portland single family? More and more of this style is evident throughout the city.

Creative, yes. Refreshing? The jury is still out for me. I don't hate it, but I'm not fully in love with it either. It's too grayscale for my tastes.

If it were a commercial structure located in the downtown area I would be a little more concerned with the project.

Yeah, it's the first thing that popped into my mind. It reminded me of what a colorful chart in Excel looks like when you print it on a non-color printer. If you're going to print it on a non-color printer, then you need to try harder to vary the gradients, tones and textures more so it looks just as nice in black and white. This wouldn't be bad if the white vertical siding was varied a little somehow. Look at the bottom picture. It's just a big white wall with a couple windows and one vertical darker gray section breaking it up. It's needs something else to break it up.

Maybe the white snow all around it doesn't help and it'll look better in other seasons?

Another project on the hill, hadn't seen this one before today:

www.118onmunjoyhill.com

Newest rendering, includes two retail spaces on ground floor :
118exterior_rendering-700x377.jpg

Today (I've long looked at this hideous building and wished that both it and it's parking lot would be replaced with some urban infill like this project):

KpOhWSH.jpg

Should fill in this empty spot nicely:
7LoVeGa.jpg

And while I am here, the Casco Bay Lines renovation project is shaping up:

CfaS54k.jpg

LuwDcVy.jpg

lvNzq5n.jpg

Back