Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Nice photos BeeLine, thanks.

The green building is Bayside Anchor, a joint development between Avesta and the Portland Housing Authority. I agree, terrible facade.

Speaking of terrible facades I'm disappointed to see the Mason Block building being finished with wooden slats rather than brick on the Middle Street side. I'm assuming this is a cost-saving measure rather than an aesthetic choice, as to my untrained eye it looks cheap and less attractive than brick. It reminds me of the disjointed facade of the Bay House.

Noticed they snuck a 5th floor on the left front part of the WEX building. Nice. And in back, near the end, another small section -- a fourth floor. Maybe cafeteria area that opens up to the roof top patio? This will be the best view and outdoor space in Portland. Too bad nobody gets to experience it but them. Add some craft beer taps and recruiting will be a cinch during the summer months.

MUCH better than how it looked in the original design that was submitted to the Planning Board! I still don't think the camera obscura will be nearly as much fun there, though.

Noticed they snuck a 5th floor on the left front part of the WEX building. Nice. And in back, near the end, another small section -- a fourth floor. Maybe cafeteria area that opens up to the roof top patio? This will be the best view and outdoor space in Portland. Too bad nobody gets to experience it but them. Add some craft beer taps and recruiting will be a cinch during the summer months.

Those were on the original plans, but they're not additional floors; they're the mechanical enclosures.

Slightly revised design being proposed for 75 Chestnut Street -- aka "Westerlea View Lofts" -- which has been on the drawing board for a couple years. Sounds like the project is being sold to a new developer and they're looking to make a few minor changes to it.

Screen%20Shot%202018-03-10%20at%206.17.09%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-03-10%20at%206.17.17%20PM.png

A few different projects going before the Planning Board tomorrow evening:

60 Parris Street
Screen%20Shot%202018-03-26%20at%2010.02.27%20AM%20copy.png

147 Washington Ave.
Screen%20Shot%202018-03-26%20at%2010.03.53%20AM.png

25 Monument Street
Screen%20Shot%202018-03-26%20at%2010.05.41%20AM.png

24 St. Lawrence Street
Screen%20Shot%202018-03-26%20at%2010.06.29%20AM.png

I really like the design of 155 Washington ave. Simple but well thought out. Will be a great addition to that area.

I'm wondering if the flurry of new proposals (except 60 Parris Street) is a direct effect of the proposed changes to the demolition and construction ordinances on Munjoy Hill?

That went up quickly:

Dame2TpW4AYHWQe.jpg

And another view of the new Thames streetscape:

Damg5pVXUAAM_5k.jpg

A site plan application is in for 46 senior apartments plus ground-floor retail space at 178 Kennebec Street (former public works parking lot, one block north of Bayside Bowl):

DbJtDLUW0AYdUCi.jpg

A dramatic improvement over that ugly puke green 5 story project originally proposed. Good design and good scale... although I don't know if I'm thrilled about it being marketed for the 55+ community. The Bayside area definitely feels better suited to a younger crowd

A dramatic improvement over that ugly puke green 5 story project originally proposed. Good design and good scale... although I don't know if I'm thrilled about it being marketed for the 55+ community. The Bayside area definitely feels better suited to a younger crowd

I think vibrant neighborhoods have a good demographic mix. And, 55+ is not exactly geriatric, many in that age range are active, still working, have disposable income, and are looking for places to live where they share interests with their neighbors.

I like the triangular layout, although it's more interesting on the short side than on the long side:

32.png

1.png

Last edited:
I like the middle picture - it kinda has a flatiron look to it. Great find and proposal.

Back