Portside at Pier One | 29 Marginal Street (Pier 1, Pier 5) | East Boston

This is coming along very nicely. I just hope they weather proof these enough; the construction looks rather cheap.

This is coming along very nicely. I just hope they weather proof these enough; the construction looks rather cheap.

As I have said on this forum many times. Buyer beware with these stick-built wonders. Your investment is a risk.

cca

Are you saying that bc of how big the building is? Most people live in wood framed structures.

Are you saying that bc of how big the building is? Most people live in wood framed structures.

I toured the original Portside building last year -- the construction was incredibly cheap. Sound traveled throughout the building; minimal soundproofing. And no in-attention to detail was overlooked in the crappy finishes. Very disappointing building.

Was this the condo building or aprtments?

I toured the original Portside building last year -- the construction was incredibly cheap. Sound traveled throughout the building; minimal soundproofing. And no in-attention to detail was overlooked in the crappy finishes. Very disappointing building.

It's a real shame. That's what you're getting with "luxury" rentals these days, Ikea level quality and flimsiness but at premium prices. Looks OK from far away, but take a closer look or live with it for a while and the cheapness comes through very obviously.

Condos are supposed to be built to a noticeably higher standard and quality in all the areas you mention. However, since phase 2 is also rentals, I'd expect more of the same.

I'm sure there are a number of variables, but can anyone provide a ballpark building cost comparison between concrete, steel, and wood for a five storey building?

"Derivative" is such a copout word to use, but it was made for developments like this.

"Derivative" is such a copout word to use, but it was made for developments like this.

The triple deckers of Eastie and elsewhere are 100 years old but were quality built for working class people.

While I think "utter trash" is a bit too harsh, I'd say this and other similar developments on the Eastie waterfront are wasted opportunities. Developers could have designed residences that'd make Seaport and Wharf dwellers look on with a bit of envy.

Back