Portside at Pier One | 29 Marginal Street (Pier 1, Pier 5) | East Boston

Eh... I'm not a fan of the developments but more because they're ugly, and whoever would choose to live here must care nothing for aesthetics... a black spot upon their character and probably indicative of deeper moral shortcomings. And in addition, yeah, sure, they attract urban jerks invading another neighborhood. Ha.

And yet... who are we to really judge, anyway? Neighborhoods change. The world changes. This is how it happens.

I know this first hand because my husband & I, ourselves, contributed to the gentrification of Chelsea by moving into one of these complexes (decidedly less lux than the new ones in Chelsea) 4 years ago because of the appealing lower rents and now even I, a business professional, am getting pushed out because of the prices.

^ how much did the prices go up in 4 years?

Over $400. 625sf box, 1 br, 1 bath.
2013 - $1360
2017 - $1775 (and that was a reduced rate after I fought it)

Nowhere near rapid transit. At the mercy of the overcrowded unreliable 116/117 to get you to the Blue Line. 1 mi from Bellingham Square (decent walk).

2013 - $1360

Nowhere near rapid transit. At the mercy of the overcrowded unreliable 116/117 to get you to the Blue Line. 1 mi from Bellingham Square (decent walk).

Born and raised in Chelsea, left in 1974 after graduating from Northeastern. My parents were paying $135/month (plus utilities). Using the CPI that is $660/month in 2016 dollars. We had a 3 bedroom apartment at 221 Webster Avenue with free off street parking. If you drive by there take a look. Still in good condition after all these years.

2013 - $1360

Comes out to ~7% increase in rent annually at those numbers. Normally I'd say anything above 5% during that time period would've been a bit excessive, but given the quality of the building, its young age, and a recently-built swimming pool... I think $1,775 is exactly the price point that apartment should be. Anything higher is corporate greed, and anything lower is a bargain (when you add all the chips together).

However, you and hubby are welcome to rent my place in Jeffries Point furnished and all utilities included for $1,300/mo if you'd like! ;)

I know this first hand because my husband & I, ourselves, contributed to the gentrification of Chelsea by moving into one of these complexes (decidedly less lux than the new ones in Chelsea) 4 years ago because of the appealing lower rents and now even I, a business professional, am getting pushed out because of the prices.

I didnt ask who are you to know, but who are you or any of us to judge... we get very quick to render judgments in these times, which I dont think is always a good thing. You shouldnt have guilt over "contributing to gentrification" (if you do, which it sounds like)... you moved somewhere that was affordable. That's what normal humans do. I was asking why, or what right do we have to criticize and judge those that move into such developments as this? It's easy to write them all off as tasteless or yuppy snobs, but the fact is that everyone is different and we'd be castigating and denigrating people like you, whom I know fulfils neither of those negative appellations.

What would a development be in east boston without cheap square towers at the corners? I'm so sick of these boilerplate details; I'd rather just have a box.

Please parden my ignorance, but does anyone know about the status of the two phases? i thought this had a larger, condo component of about 320 units that would bring the total to about 500 units.

This is precisely why the few Globe posters that complain about development are outliers. Okay, a few more can be convinced by an agitator to sign a petition. But, the majority want to see prices level or come down, not only for themselves but to increase economic stability.

Getting people to show up to meetings is another thing.

Back