Post Cards of Boston 1900's-1990

That photo of Kenmore Square from the late 1960's - is that when they first started the current subway/bus stop renovation?

Did the Boston common lose a lot of trees?

boston1930snorthstation.jpg

Of course, it never looked anything like this. There was no huge plaza or parking lot in front, and the Green Line elevated obscured much of the facade.

Others can give you more detail, but that is the Registry of Motor Vehicles building, The Green Line to Science Park rumbled by near it, as did the on-ramp to Route 1 / 93 north.

The Registry was one of very few buildings demolished for the Big Dig. Another was the 'Analex' building which is shown on the right side of the 'New North Station' postcard.

boston1930snorthstation.jpg

Of course, it never looked anything like this. There was no huge plaza or parking lot in front, and the Green Line elevated obscured much of the facade.
Such a shame this is all torn down! whats there now sucks!

The building to the right was essentially replaced by the Zakim Bridge, which I count as a civic improvement. The building in the middle would have been lovely if you could actually see this facade, which you really couldn't.

I agree that having an empty lot there 'sucks', but I suspect many basketball and hockey fans like having an arena with elevators and air-conditioning.

The building on the right was an ugly warehouse. This is a water-color painting from before the times of CGI.

Water-colored painted warehouse look better than real life warehouses. It wasn't much of a loss, and as Ron points out, the Leonard P. Zakim Freedom Bunker Hill Charlestown Memorial Bridge is a major civic landmark and success.

That building on the right was so horrible! There never was anything open on the first floor, it was dark and dreary. The Green Line overhead kept any light from making it to the street. I used to shudder when I walked by on my way to the North End.

I thought it was an office building rather than a warehouse. The B&M Railroad used to be headquartered there.

I wish that clock were still there. Anyone know more about it? I guess it didn't survive the numerous Copley Square redesigns.

I only know that I was put there some time in the mid to late '50s.

"Agricultural Warehouse"

4899498934_0e8fb4d630.jpg

Hello density:

4898774873_c3d2c30038.jpg

Why was the Madison torn down? It came down only in 1983, well past the gory days of urban renewal.

Back